Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2016 10:15:12 AM EDT
I finally got rid of my old charcoal grill and am going propane(flame on).  There is more crap involved now than I remember.  Infrared cooking, sear burners etc...  I want to keep it under $400 and get a decent midsized grill.   Enlighten me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Broil King Signet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like you can't get in to a Weber Genesis for that budget, but you could look at a Weber Spirit E-210 to see if that would be large enough for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I've read good things abut the signet
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#5]
double tap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you can't get in to a Weber Genesis for that budget, but you could look at a Weber Spirit E-210 to see if that would be large enough for you.
View Quote

I know the Weber's are rock solid but the 210 is smaller than I am looking for.  The Genesis  is beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I've read good things abut the signet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know the Weber's are rock solid but the 210 is smaller than I am looking for.  The Genesis  is beautiful.
View Quote

Yeah, it is a great all-around grill.  I didn't recall paying $800 for mine, but it looks like the Genesis series I am seeing at HD and Lowes are all 3-burner now.  I have a black porcelain / stainless 2 burner Genesis (Natural gas) and thought it was around $500-600.  Well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Supposedly Weber makes a "gas-to-light-charcoal" grill. . . . supposedly my FIL has one. . .  Can't find it on amazon.. . Anyone hear of this?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
here
View Quote

Do you have one?  Pros and cons perhaps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#12]
About five years ago I got rid of a nice looking stainless Charbroil "Commercial Series" to get my very plain looking Broil King Signet.  

Even heat, gets blazing hot, has heavy cast iron grates, and mine came with a rotisserie kit.  

I was looking at Webers, and still like them, but in your price range the Signet is probably the best.

I still like mine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy an Egg or equal grill smoker. Gas offers convience in exchange for tasteless food.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Find a used Weber Genesis. Any parts needing replacement can easily be bought leaving you with a rock solid grill under $400.

If you buy new pay attention to the grates. Most of the cheap grills make shitty food because of the grates. You want thick heavy grates not thin wirery grates. I prefer solid stainless steel rods like on the Weber summit but cast iron can be good too. Just avoid porcelain or ceramic coated cast iron as the coating will chip and flake off eventually.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I would get in both. Charcoal is the best thing ever.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would get in both. Charcoal is the best thing ever.
View Quote

My propane grill prolly has a squirrel living in it since I never use it.  Kamado or go home.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Weber with sear station.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Whatever you do don't buy a Holland. They take forever to cook on and unless you use wood chips you don't get the grilled flavor. They do keep food moist but I miss the grilled flavor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Propane is a commie plot . Like fluoride in water.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Supposedly Weber makes a "gas-to-light-charcoal" grill. . . . supposedly my FIL has one. . .  Can't find it on amazon.. . Anyone hear of this?
View Quote

Yes the Weber Performer series. I have one an absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#26]
The nice thing about Weber's after the fact is their warranty, call them up and they will likely send you replacement parts for a very long time.  Been there and done it, time and time again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#27]
What about this? It's the only grill I've found that feels solid in person.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to have a big stainless 4 burner grill from Costco.

After a while I hardly ever used all the room and decided to sell it.

I then went and bought a Weber Spirit E210.

It's all I need and the tables fold up and you can store it in a very small space.

It cooks great, has cast iron grates and I am very satisfied with this little Weber.

Paid $400

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

forget the Spirit get the Genesis just look for a sale...
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Any actual "Grill Master" whose opinion that you seek will tell you to use charcoal, and most will tell you to use lump, not even Kingsford.  My local pro uses paper towels to light charcoal in a starter chimney, he NEVER uses lighter fluid.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This.

Any actual "Grill Master" whose opinion that you seek will tell you to use charcoal, and most will tell you to use lump, not even Kingsford.  My local pro uses paper towels to light charcoal in a starter chimney, he NEVER uses lighter fluid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This.  Propane is for suckers.  I get that it's more convenient than charcoal, but if you're too lazy to use charcoal....You can get pretty much the same results on a stove top as you can in a propane grill.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weber performer premium.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#33]
There aren't any good propane grills anymore.

Most are sheet metal bodies....they'll rot out with any use.

The cast aluminum bodies Weber offer and really thin and stupid expensive.

I've been looking for the last couple years and haven't found anything remotely worth the price they ask.

Good Luck.

I'm still using a Charbroil I bough 11 years ago...thick cast Al body...but its seen better days.

Heavy cast iron grates, 4 burner....lots of room for lots of food.

After 100 lbs of propane each year....it's prepared a lot of food.

I wish they still made that guy...I'd buy it all over again.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Find a used Weber Genesis. Any parts needing replacement can easily be bought leaving you with a rock solid grill under $400.

If you buy new pay attention to the grates. Most of the cheap grills make shitty food because of the grates. You want thick heavy grates not thin wirery grates. I prefer solid stainless steel rods like on the Weber summit but cast iron can be good too. Just avoid porcelain or ceramic coated cast iron as the coating will chip and flake off eventually.
View Quote

I found a used Genesis local to me for about $400. Does that seem reasonable?  It seems by pics in like new condition with a cover.   It has the knobs on the right sid shelf.  Is that an older version?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I found a used Genesis local to me for about $400. Does that seem reasonable?  It seems by pics in like new condition with a cover.   It has the knobs on the right sid shelf.  Is that an older version?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM me the link to the grill
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Weber performer premium.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Weber performer premium.
Ok, went to their site. . but I can't tell if you can use a standard 20lb propane tank with it, or do you have to use those little propane canisters?. . . .Anybody know----having (2) 20# tanks, I like to be able to use them. . .

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Save up and buy a Weber. Or you will be buying a new $400 grill every 3-5 years and new $70 burners every 2 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In my opinion, get the most Weber you can afford.

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/grills/gas_grill_reviews_and_ratings.html

View Quote

Years ago my girls bought me a Weber Spirit for Father's Day. Aside from keeping it clean and replacing the AA battery for the igniter I haven't had to do a thing to it. It has a nice even cooking surface with no cold spots, unlike my old grill.

While I still like using charcoal, nothing beats the speed and convenience of throwing boneless chicken breast or salmon steaks on the Weber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top