Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 5:51:44 PM EDT
I'm considering bell peppers, onions, and zucchini squash for now.

1) What are good vegies to grill?
2) marinade, oil or nothing on them?
3) how long to cook?

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm considering bell peppers, onions, and zucchini squash for now.

1) What are good vegies to grill?
2) marinade, oil or nothing on them?
3) how long to cook?

View Quote

Those will work fine.  I usually brush them with olive oil with just a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar.

mm
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, brush them with Olive oil & maybe a bit of salt (not too much though)

How cooked you want them is a matter of taste, I don't like overdone veggies so I just cook them long enough to get good grill marks (slice the veggies between 1/4 & 1/2 inch thick) they should be slightly cooked through by then.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Use olive oil.  Zucchini only needs about 2 minutes on each side.  Mushrooms and tomatos are great to grill.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried cooking cherry tomatoes once, and they fell off the skewer. If you ware going to cook cherry tomatoes I recommend you put them on your skewer toward the end, and cook for a very short time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Using one of those clamshell wire baskets with the long handles is a great way to grill vegetables. You know the ones, they close up on both sides over whatever is inside. I believe they are often marketed as being for fish.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. Just brush 'em with some olive oil a little Mrs. Dash. I like to throw red,green,yellow peppers,Zuchinni,potatoes and tomatoes and some chicken breast on my newly aqquired George Foreman Grille. It's just as fun to grill as it is to eat!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Olive oil, use kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste and thats it.  Dont cut too thin or too thick. You have to experiment.  Takes only minutes so dont leave it like meat.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Hit em with a phone book, it wont leave marks.  If all else fails hook em up to a TA312 and crank away.

Oh never mind, you mean that kind of grilling :-)
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
So consensus is olive oil, dash of salt and fresh ground pepper.  I'll be testing this tomorrow.

I have a Grill Topper, a metal basket for cooking, so I'll give that a try also.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I cant believe nobody mentioned potatos. I have em on the grill every time I BBQ. Slice length-wise about 1/4" thick, brush with butter, toss on grill. Damm, I am getting hungery!

CH
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
That's just great.  Another Californian perpetuating the vegie stereotype [:)]

Squash sliced lengthwise about 1/4" thick.  Then just followi the olive oil suggestions already given above.

Asparagus works well if you do it the right way.  If you grill the asparagus the wrong way, it falls into the fire.

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I like to quarter or 1/6 the potatos, depending on the size.  But grilling these take a longer time.  They end up crispy on the outside with a soft inside.  Can't forget dipping them in sour cream.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Grilled eggplant is great.
Marinating works, just don't go overboard.  Eggplant seems to absorb whatever you put on it pretty quick.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh.  THAT kind of veggies.

For a while there I thought he was talking about Democraps.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So consensus is olive oil, dash of salt and fresh ground pepper.
View Quote

Some crushed basil and garlic wouldn't hurt either.  The kind that comes in a little jar is very convenient for this.

Don't get discouraged if your first attempts turn out poorly.   It can take a little experimentation to get it right for your taste.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top