Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2011 10:12:29 AM EDT
I have a grey, black, and blue suit.

I have a job interview soon and was thinking about wearing the grey one...

Would the blue or black suit be better?

They're all the same style. I do not know what you call the style but I guess I would call it modern looking.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say it's fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Grey or blue.

Edit: I like the grey suit with a light blue undershirt and a slightly different grey/silver tie.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Grey or blue.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with blue but that's because I have blonde hair and blue eyes.  

Gray will be just fine.  Wear black shoes (not brown) though.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's cloudy out, go with grey.  If it's sunny out, go with blue.  Always match your suit to the sky.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good luck!

Thanks. I am hoping to get out of this hell hole I currently work at.

They treat me like shit and I'm a top employee.

Black shoes are a given.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I wore black with a grey button up and green tie.  I was the sharpest mother in that group.  And yes, I did get hired.

Any of those will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it's cloudy out, go with grey.  If it's sunny out, go with blue.  Always match your suit to the sky.

Is this for real? haha
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Blue suit, white shirt, solid red tie. Powersuit FTMFW.
I'd probably wear the grey one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this for real? haha

It sounded good at the time.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with gray.

Black is excessively formal, blue is a bit old fashioned.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#12]
stop.

it depends on the job.

you need to look at how the current position dresses, and then go one notch higher.

gray can be a bit edgy but less so than blue.

what you want is to look like you fit in with their environment.

if applying for a govt, manager, sales, engineer type job then a suit is applicable. If you are applying for a tech, electonics or tradesman type field then just a business casual crisp shirt and tie is applicable.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Standard advice would be to wear a charcoal (grey) or navy suit, light blue or white shirt, navy or burgundy tie.  Black or brown shoes (darker brown shade).  Make sure everything is clean and polished.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Save black suits for funeral home workers.

Charcoal Grey, dark blue.

Chalk stripe, or subdued pinstripes.

Nice thing about being a guy.  Dressing formally isn't hard math.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
stop.

it depends on the job.

you need to look at how the current position dresses, and then go one notch higher.

if applying for a govt, manager, sales, engineer type job then a suit is applicable. If you are applying for a tech, electonics or tradesman type field then just a business casual crisp shirt and tie is applicable.

The job is in the tech field. Typical dress would be jeans and T-shirt.

I still feel the need to wear a suit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Black shoes are a given.

Hey Mr. I hate the bar or social interaction with my "girlfriend",
I never knew it was so hard being mom's top basement employee. I guess when siblings are competing for the best room in the basement bunker, the workplace can get stressful.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Fashion threads on arfcom are always fun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#18]
You know what to do.

Black shoes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Black shoes are a given.

Hey Mr. I hate the bar or social interaction with my "girlfriend",
I never knew it was so hard being mom's top basement employee. I guess when siblings are competing for the best room in the basement bunker, the workplace can get stressful.

LOL.

I wish I lived in my mom's basement.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
stop.

it depends on the job.

If that is the acceptable work dress, then a grey suit would seem more informal than black or blue... which in my opinion would show that you are serious about the job, but not MR. SERIOUS (who nobody wants to work with).
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
stop.

it depends on the job.

If that is the acceptable work dress, then a grey suit would seem more informal than black or blue... which in my opinion would show that you are serious about the job, but not MR. SERIOUS (who nobody wants to work with).

So you think mommy would like the grey best?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Charcoal grey or heather grey?

Charcoal is almost never a bad choice.  I would only go with the lighter gray if you know the place you're applying for has a relaxed atmosphere.

Navy blue is always a good choice for everything except funerals.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'd go with gray.

Yeah, I'd avoid black. Black screams "Would you like a free copy of the book of Mormon?"

This may be a moot point outside of the Phoenix and/or most of Utah.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Gray is for bankers /executives, blue is for salesmen, black is for off world immigration operatives
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd go with gray.

Yeah, I'd avoid black. Black screams "Would you like a free copy of the book of Mormon?"

But a black suit with a shiny red shirt screams "Would you like a free copy of the Watchtower?"

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Charcoal is almost never a bad choice.  I would only go with the lighter gray if you know the place you're applying for has a relaxed atmosphere.

Dark grey? I don't know, haha.

ETA: like this
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd go with gray.

We have them here too. I keep trying to tell dad to answer the door in his underwear with his B-1 Bomber hat on to make them not want to come back, but he keeps saying something about his dignity.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: like this http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/9474/307066thf09adf.jpg

Bingo.  Wear that.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Gray is for bankers /executives, blue is for salesmen, black is for off world immigration operatives

...and morally ambiguous contract killers. "Yo homey, that my briefcase?"

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since this IS arfcom... the reality of this thread should look more like this:

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.  Wear that.

So not this one?

Damn...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.  Wear that.

So not this one? http://images.brightcoloredtuxedos.com/blue_tuxedo.jpg

Damn...

Only if you get a second interview.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and morally ambiguous contract killers. "Yo homey, that my briefcase?"

http://www.moviemobsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/collateral.jpg

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#34]
What is the job?   Think about the job you are applying for, and then dress to levels better than that.

You cannot go wrong with blue suit, white shirt, red tie, and conservative shoes.  What is meant by conservative? Conservative is whatever the guy hiring you would think is stylish (even if his sense of style was "in style" twenty years ago) and not what he THINKS some hip-hop artist or newly rich pro athlete would wear. Don't view this as an opportunity to send a "message" with your socks, your tie, or any inappropriate accessories (lapel pin, oversized watch, tie tacks, etc.)   However, a small American flag, jump wings, or a minature Purple Heart ribbon on your lapel might be a good conversation starter.

The blue suit, white shirt, red tie combo is the de riguer "uniform" of bankers, senators, FBI agents, lawyers, university presidents, and CEO's. But they will rotate between their blue suit, their dark grey suit, and their black suit in the winter, their dark grey suit, their blue suit, and their light grey suit in the summer.  You can't wear the blue suit all the time, and every good wardrobe has several shades of grey suits in it.

How is the interviewer(s) dressing?  Dress like them, maybe a little better.

A flannel grey is the just as good. Depending upon the richness of the material, it is either less formal or more formal than blue.  Blue can disguise a cheap poly/wool blend material, but grey cannot.

Is the material of your grey suit shiny? Like it has too much Dacron or other "space age" polyester materials? Or does it drape naturally and is soft from having high wool content?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Every interview I have ever attended I have been selected for. I dont care if the job was "under-employing" me - I was going to wear a nice suit and act professional.

I haven't failed to recieve a call back from every interview yet!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Gray all the way.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Navy or charcoal s/b suits are always appropriate for interviews.

White broadcloth shirt, conservative tie. Black leather.

Black suits are for waiters.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#38]
hmmm.... I only have a black suit.  Maybe I need to get a grey suit for upcoming interviews.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Grey or blue.

Black is a formal color meant more for evenings. Making a daytime job interview much more suited for grey or blue.  

Go forth and prosper.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You know what to do.

Black shoes.

Preferably balmoral oxfords. Bluchers are ok though.

I'd go navy blue, but charcoal isn't that bad of an alternative. Go with a white or light blue dress shirt. I would probably avoid french cuffs since this is not going to be a dress occasion; go with the barrel cuffs instead. Don't wear a button down collar, they are tacky for all occasions. I'd be as conservative as possible.

Black suits should only be worn by people who work at funeral homes or maybe the attendees of a funeral. Navy blue is the near universal suit color in my opinion. Charcoal comes in a close second. Tan is a little more casual.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#41]
For a technical job, I would suggest a dress or denim shirt and slacks.  There is such a thing as overdressed, in which you can look out of touch with the realities of the field.

We made jokes about engineers wearing suits on interviews in a terribly dirty mill, or the interviewee for the comptroller position who wore starched white shirts, cufflinks, and creased slacks - missing nothing but the green eyeshades.

I like the advice about wearing one notch higher than everyday work dress.  You want to look like you are ready to start work right then and there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For a technical job, I would suggest a dress or denim shirt and slacks.  There is such a thing as overdressed, in which you can look out of touch with the realities of the field.

We made jokes about engineers wearing suits on interviews in a terribly dirty mill, or the interviewee for the comptroller position who wore starched white shirts, cufflinks, and creased slacks - missing nothing but the green eyeshades.

I like the advice about wearing one notch higher than everyday work dress.  You want to look like you are ready to start work right then and there.

What do you know?  You dress like some Hasidic diamond merchant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good luck!

Uhhhhh..... Brown shoes work more than fine with a blue suit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
hmmm.... I only have a black suit.  Maybe I need to get a grey suit for upcoming interviews.

Black is for funerals IMO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Not black.

Wear whatever suit makes you feel most confident.

If it was me, I would probably wear charcoal for the first interview and blue for the second.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I disagree. You aren't showing up in the suit to do the job, you are interviewing. I don't believe you can ever go wrong wearing a suit for an interview.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

This thread is filled with people who overanalyze things and parrot something they read somewhere.  These threads always are.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. You aren't showing up in the suit to do the job, you are interviewing. I don't believe you can ever go wrong wearing a suit for an interview.

My opinion as well... It shows that you are serious.

I would wear a suit to a McDonalds interview.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For a technical job, I would suggest a dress or denim shirt and slacks. There is such a thing as overdressed, in which you can look out of touch with the realities of the field.

I like the advice about wearing one notch higher than everyday work dress. You want to look like you are ready to start work right then and there.

I'll disagree. I own a business with 75 employees and if someone shows up in a suit for some positions I look at them like

Depends on the job and the company/industry.

In the past before I owned my own company if I really wanted a job at a certain place I would drive by at lunch time or quitting time and see what the people leaving were wearing.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

This thread is filled with people who overanalyze things and parrot something they read somewhere.  These threads always are.

Are you referring to my post or Joan Rivers that I quoted?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top