Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 1:48:56 PM EDT
"Greetings Starfighter.  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Zur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

I picked up the 25th Anniversary edition of this movie the other day, (I'm getting old.) it has been many years since I've watched it and had forgotten how cheesy it was.  But a good cheesy none the less.  

Comparing CGI of today, with 1984's version is really no comparison.  Even when the movie came out, it didn't hold a candle to how well models were looking in movies.  Times change though.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
considering it was one of the first to use CGI..it aint bad for 1984 when most computers had a green screen.

from wikipedia..
The Last Starfighter is one of the earliest films to make extensive use of computer graphics for its special effects. In place of physical models, 3D rendered models were used to depict space ships and many other objects. The Gunstar and other spaceships were the design of artist Ron Cobb, who also worked on Alien, Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian.
The computer graphics for the movie were rendered by Digital Productions on a Cray X-MP supercomputer. The company created 27 minutes of effects for the movie. This was considered an enormous amount of computer generated imagery at the time.[2] For the 300 scenes containing computer graphics in the film, each frame of the animation contained an average of 250,000 polygons, and had a resolution of 3000 × 5000 36-bit pixels. Digital Productions estimated that using computer animation required only half the time, and one half to one third the cost of traditional special effects. The result was a cost of $14 million for a film that made about $21 million at the box office.[2
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Its still a fun movie.

The Babe Girl was cute too!

What do we do now?  We die.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
"What do we do now?
*whirl*

We die."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Great movie.  Robert Preston stole every scene he was in.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Watched it about two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

"What do we do now?
*whirl*

We die."

I love that movie

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw it in the theater.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Death blossom FTW.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
great movie, I wouldn't mind seeing it redone in a little more serious manor but at the same time I know they would fuck it up.

Edit a cleaning up like Star Wars wouldn't hurt either.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#10]

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28239

Bush Cites The Last Starfighter As Inspiration For Entering Politics

WASHINGTON, DC–During a speech Monday, President Bush disclosed for the first time the pivotal role the 1984 science-fiction adventure film The Last Starfighter played in his decision to enter politics.

"My whole life, I'd grown up around politics, but it wasn't until that fateful day in 1984, at a matinee screening of The Last Starfighter at the old Orpheum Theater in Midland, TX, that I finally realized that my destiny lay in public service," said Bush, speaking at a Republican National Committee fundraiser at the Washington Hilton. "The movie showed me that no matter who you are and where you come from, you can make a big difference."

The comments surprised the estimated 600 RNC members in attendance, as well as Bush's aides, who expected the president to discuss his proposed tax cut and plan for governing post-war Iraq. Not even his closest advisors knew of Bush's passion for the Reagan-era space epic.

Straying from his scripted remarks, Bush described at length his "lost" years of the early 1980s in Midland.

"I was holding down two jobs, one at an oil well, the other for a third-rate professional baseball team," Bush said. "I had gotten a local girl pregnant, and I spent my weekends watching golf on TV and drinking with my buddies. My dad was vice-president then, and occasionally he'd offer me some vice-presidential stuff to do, you know, just to get a taste for politics. But I was too distracted by other things. Basically, I was your typical unfocused kid."

One idle Saturday, Bush said he purchased a ticket to a matinee showing of The Last Starfighter. The seemingly inconsequential act would have profound repercussions on the young man–and, ultimately, on the entire nation.

"Just minutes into the film, I found myself relating deeply to Alex, the lead character played by Lance Guest," Bush said. "He lived in a trailer park and had little opportunity to advance himself. His only escape was playing video games."

After achieving a record score on a video game called "Starfighter," Alex is contacted by a mysterious man who invented the game. The man, named Centauri, proves to be a space alien whose home planet, Rylos, is under impending attack by a sinister invasion force known as the Ko-Dan Armada. Centauri had invented the game as a means to recruit standout video gamers who could pilot the real-life versions of the Gunstar spaceships featured in the game.

Bush was enthralled.

"Here's this kid, with nothing going on in his life, and it turns out that his only talent, one that seemed so trivial and ridiculous, could alter the fate of the galaxy forever," Bush said. "That really inspired me."

Bush said he could also identify with Alex's initial reluctance to becoming a Starfighter.

"At first, Alex didn't want to do it," Bush said. "He figured, why should he fight for the Star League and risk his life battling an enemy he knew nothing about? But then, when the other Starfighters were killed in an attack on their base and [evil emperor] Zur sent his vicious Zan-Do-Zan assassins to Earth to kill him, Alex began to realize that the only thing standing between the Ko-Dan and universal conquest was himself."

Continued Bush: "I realized that if Alex turned down the chance to be a Starfighter, he would have been assassinated, and Earth would have been destroyed. It made me think long and hard about my own place in the world: Was I making the right decisions? Was I helping people as much as I could? Was I missing out on a chance to save mankind?"

Bush added that he loved the film's breakthrough computer-generated special effects, as well as the fact that Alex had a robot double–something he had dreamed of having in his youth.

Transfixed by the film, Bush would go on to see it seven times that summer, memorizing its dialogue and buying a VHS copy on the day of its release. But The Last Starfighter's most profound impact on Bush was the way it motivated him to leave the private sector and enter politics.

"It made me realize that politics truly was in my blood," Bush said. "Who cares if I wasn't a good businessman or a sharp scholar? Alex was even worse off than me, and look what he achieved."

Bush admitted that, while running for Texas governor in 1994, he kept his Last Starfighter videocassette cued up in his campaign bus' VCR, ready for rewinding or fast-forwarding to his favorite scenes on a moment's notice.

"When my spirits were sagging, I'd watch the scene where Alex tells Centauri that he's just 'a kid from a trailer park,'" Bush said. "Centauri replies, 'If that's what you think, then that's all you'll ever be.' It helped me remember that the only boundaries that exist are those you create in your mind."

Continued Bush: "Or, as Alex says to [his girlfriend] Maggie, 'Don't you see this is it? This is our big chance. It's like, whatever this is, when it comes, you've got to grab on with both hands and hold tight.'"

The fundraiser audience reacted to the Bush speech with near-silence.

"I sort of remember the movie when it first came out, but I never saw it," RNC chairman Marc Racicot said. "As a Bush supporter and GOP policymaker, maybe I should rent it sometime."

Former White House communications director Karen Hughes, a close advisor to Bush in the early days of his presidency, said she had failed to realize the full significance of The Last Starfighter during her time in the administration.

"When I first started working for the president, he would sometimes mention the movie. Once or twice, he even tried to get me to read his Last Starfighter fan fiction," Hughes said. "But I always assumed that his decision to enter politics was shaped by his desire to continue his family's long history of public service. The Last Starfighter. Wow."

Added Hughes: "That probably explains why [Last Starfighter co-star] Catherine Mary Stewart is our ambassador to Zambia."

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't seen it since 6th grade. I might have to look it up for old time's sake.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
That was one of my all time favorites

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
That movie was a staple of my childhood.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing an attempt at a remake...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I liked Tron better
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I never looked at floorstanding arcade machines the same again...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Great movie. Robert Preston stole every scene he was in.

always liked his films.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#18]
"That my boy is a Zan-do-Zan, an intersellar hit-beast...........foul smelling creatures"
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I never looked at floorstanding arcade machines the same again...

Me either.  Defender had a whole new meaning to me after that.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Catherine Mary Stewart.

I still wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

She was the heroine of another bad 80's movie too... "Night of the Comet"

linky
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Good cheese...

And great primitive CGI.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Movie WIN!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Death Blossom FTW!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#26]
That was a fun flick.  Good to watch every 5 years or so.  " We'll be reaching the frontier shortly....."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I loved that movie as a kid. Haven't seen it in about 15 years though.

There are rumors that a sequel is actually in the works with a script already written. Don't know how I feel about that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#28]
i loved that flick.

I lusted Catherine Mary Stewart.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#29]
looks like a sequel might be in the works...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1196243/

"25 years ago, He saved the Star League and hundreds of worlds, including Earth. Now He's returned ... and Earth's got company coming. "
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got a music compilation disc somewhere that samples lines by Xur pretty heavily.  It kept getting to me that they sounded familiar, but I just couldn't place them until I rewatched the movie...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#31]

"Proceed with a visual attack formation."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Death blossom FTW.

Every time I use energy bombs in EVE I think about that line: Wait until they are all in Deathblossom range".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Extremely.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Hard to believe, but I think I saw where she was born in 1959!!!!    Man, time flies.

vmax84
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Absolutely fantastic movie...  I dug the VHS machine and a bunch of old tapes out of the back of the garage when our cabin was finished.  The Last Starfighter was one of those tapes.  My buddy and I watch it all the time during snow machine season.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#38]
"I'm not here for cigarettes or bubble gum, my boy. Can you tell me the name of the person who broke the record on that game over there, and where I might find him?"

Great movie.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#39]
That movie is a classic.. love it!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#40]
"I'll have it all figured out by the time we reach the frontier."

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP

"What's that?"

"The frontier."

CJ

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Where'd I put my like-I-give-a-shit face?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#42]
"The amusing thing about this, it's all a big mistake. That particular
Starfighter game was supposed to be delivered to Vegas, not some
fleaspeck trailer park in the middle of tumbleweeds and tarantulas. So
it must be fate, destiny, blind chance, luck even, that brings us
together. And as the poet said, the rest is history"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top