Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2005 7:32:29 PM EDT
What do you think it would be?

People laugh at my friends GN because it is only a V6, and my omni gets no respect until they catch me at the next light.

What other cars are reall sleepers out there?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember a green and white VW bus that was a show stopper.

Guy had bought his son a 911 dual turbo (930 / 936?) for a present for getting ranked #1 in his Med school class. - Kid promptly wrapped it around a telephone pole.

Dad took the remains home and shoehorned the Engine & trans into his college ride...

That monster would pull a 3 foot wheelie for a good 90ft off the line...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Got you all beat

www.turbominivan.com/

12sec 1/4mile.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say:

Ford Mustang SVO mid-late 80's
It's a 4 cyl. w/ turbo.  
The thing is the engine had steel head & block...& no head gasket...machined to fit.  
It could handle 20 psi of boost just fine.
It was insanely fast...but it never caught on.  Everyone wanted a V8 then...

Ford Thunderbird TurboCoupe -late 80's
Similar to the SVO under the hood...  It made around 180-ish hp STOCK.  
Turbo, intercooled, the motor was also very strong, built to handle serious boost.  
They also handle really well for such a big car.  
Again, it didnt catch on because people just wanted v8's...

Another one is the Chevy cyclone...
Basically a 4.3 twin turbo...  It was the fastest production truck at it's time (mid-early 90's i think)
Not too many were made.

Sleepers are the best...
(IMHO)
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A 1966 Rambler American with a Big Block Chevy under the hood
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd say:

Ford Mustang SVO mid-late 80's
It's a 4 cyl. w/ turbo.  
The thing is the engine had steel head & block...& no head gasket...machined to fit.  
It could handle 20 psi of boost just fine.
It was insanely fast...but it never caught on.  Everyone wanted a V8 then...

Turbo, intercooled, the motor was also very strong, built to handle serious boost.  

Another one is the Chevy cyclone...
Basically a 4.3 twin turbo...  It was the fastest production truck at it's time (mid-early 90's i think)
Not too many were made.

Sleepers are the best...
(IMHO)

I had a copy of muscle mustang and fast fords where they managed to get something like 430 to the rear wheels with one of them little engines....

Can't forget the typhoon, same idea as the syclone, but in a s-10 blazer bod y.

The original Taurus SHO's

Up in anchorage there is a guy that was into Chevetes for some sick reason, made one into a limo...had another that he stuffed a 350 into.

v-8 jeep cj5's

toyota cressida(?), meant to be a mid sized luxo car, but had the supra turbo'd engine in it in it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Got you all beat

www.turbominivan.com/

12sec 1/4mile.

I see you are into TDs. Good call on the minvan.

I think that this may be the all time greatest sleeper though.

91 Pontiac Firefly. They ran .2 behind the Corvette IIRC, and got like 50+MPG. Turbocharged intercooled 3cyl.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll vote for the old turbo Buicks from the late '80s.  I'm not talking about the Grand Nationals, but the turbo Regals.  I've seen some of those supercharged 6's pull low 11's.  They're nasty little devils.  MJD
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'll vote for the old turbo Buicks from the late '80s.  I'm not talking about the Grand Nationals, but the turbo Regals.  I've seen some of those supercharged 6's pull low 11's.  They're nasty little devils.  MJD

Yeah, the turbo Ts with the colum shift and the pillow top leather seats. Crome exterior trim. They are the ultimate TR sleeper. However they weigh well over 4K lbs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Two cars come to mind; one I owned and one owned by a co-worker.

His car was a mid-60's Studebaker Lark 4 door -- looked like a refrigerator on wheels -- with a built up 427 Chevy rat motor under the hood.  He kept it quiet with a large diameter dual exhaust system and 4 mufflers -- stock Caddy jobs IIRC.  Kids in "muscle cars" used to laugh at it, until the light went green  .  .  .

Mine was a '67 Corvair Monza coupe turned into a Corv-8.  Had a warmed-over Chevy 350 in what had been the back seat, coupled to a close ratio 4 speed tranny and a built-up Corvair diff.  Crown Maunufaturing, which started out making dune buggy kits, made and sold Corv-8 kits around the early 70's time frame.  The short exhaust system was impossible to keep very quiet, but most people who weren't familiar with my car or Corvairs had no idea what they were looking at.  Handled like nothing else I've ever driven -- perfectly neutral, tons of power, adequate braking.  It was a gas to drive and I've always regretted selling it.  Someday I hope to build another one.    
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was a junior in H.S.('87), two seniors in auto shop pulled a 455 4bbl Rocket out of a Delta 88 and put it in a '75 Gremlin.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#12]
63-64 Galaxie Custom with the 427,2 X 4bbl. 4 spd top loader,with the el cheapo dog-dish hubcaps. Only 427 badges,duel exhaust,and V-8 rumble was the giveaway to what was under the hood. 62 Fords had the 406's with tri-power.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]

The 1968 Plymouth station wagon with a 426 Hemi, 4 speed, and bench seats, no other options.  My memory says 426 hemi, but it may have been a 440...

I read about it in a Galen Govier article in one of the Mopar mags years ago.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a beat up old 84 S10 2wd with a small block chevy in it.  That one surprised a few people at the lights.  Someday I plan on building another one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a coworker that owns both a GMC Cylclone and GMC Typhoon.

All too many times on the way to work we get to bitch slap BMW M3's, ricer cars, and many V8's that think they're riding next to one of those regular Xtreme pickups

I would love to have a syclone (they spelled it funny). Thse are some sweet trucks. They ran mid 13s stock, although I hear that they are not quite as durable as the LC1 that the nationals came with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:54:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
When I was a junior in H.S.('87), two seniors in auto shop pulled a 455 4bbl Rocket out of a Delta 88 and put it in a '75 Gremlin.

Oh man! The 455 Rocket V8! My dad had a 1968 Olds 98 with that very same engine. Talk about torque!!! The whole street tilted to one side when he blipped the thottle. Thx for the memories...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Fiero,  with a caddy v-8 and transaxle glued under it....

ETA, I'll race anyone out there for 100 yards in my jeep,  I get to use my transfer case though....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Two cars come to mind; one I owned and one owned by a co-worker.

His car was a mid-60's Studebaker Lark 4 door -- looked like a refrigerator on wheels -- with a built up 427 Chevy rat motor under the hood.  He kept it quiet with a large diameter dual exhaust system and 4 mufflers -- stock Caddy jobs IIRC.  Kids in "muscle cars" used to laugh at it, until the light went green  .  .  .

Mine was a '67 Corvair Monza coupe turned into a Corv-8.  Had a warmed-over Chevy 350 in what had been the back seat, coupled to a close ratio 4 speed tranny and a built-up Corvair diff.  Crown Maunufaturing, which started out making dune buggy kits, made and sold Corv-8 kits around the early 70's time frame.  The short exhaust system was impossible to keep very quiet, but most people who weren't familiar with my car or Corvairs had no idea what they were looking at.  Handled like nothing else I've ever driven -- perfectly neutral, tons of power, adequate braking.  It was a gas to drive and I've always regretted selling it.  Someday I hope to build another one.    

ILCALVO,  the Corv-8 has always been a project that I have wanted to do.  I understand that Crown is out of biz... do you think the conversion parts are still available (Ebay?)?    
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

People laugh at my friends GN because it is only a V6, and my omni gets no respect until they catch me at the next light.

Anyone who is familiar with a GN wouldn't laugh off the V6. I seem to remember a guy by the name of Ken Duttweiler who set one of those bad boys up with in excess of 1000 hp (I think 1500 or 1700 but can't remember). Obviously, that was a made for the drag strip car but I have heard tales of 500-700 hp stock-looking streetable GNXs.. lemme google and see what I can find... I do love those cars. Here's a a couple pics I took of one at a recent auto show:

IIRC you are building an Omni up to 300whp? Even if you don't get the mileage you seek, I would NEVER see that coming. (Just wait til I get my supercharger, though) I second the Corv-8 as a top notch sleeper... too much I'm not aware of to pretend to be able to name the greatest sleeper of all time.

While certainly not the greatest sleeper of all time or perhaps even in 2003, my 2003 Accord 6MT surprises the hell out of a lot of Mustangs and 6cyl Firebirds. It looks like a mommy car but if you keep it wound up, it's got some guts for family economy car. While not a great choice if the goal is to street race and beat unsuspecting sports cars, it's got some balls and the police rarely give it a second look (except that time I got tagged going 127, I got a REAL hard look then )

eta: found quite a few references to Duttweiler's 1800 (at flywheel) HP GN but apparently that is a built 390CI V8, not a 6 *shrug*

here'a a link to a mid 8s V6 GN though with the wheelie bar and chute, it's hardly a sleeper:
www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/HTP_0403_BUICK/

one more addition:

"Street car, schmeet car," you say? Think the license plate is simply ornamentation? Scoff if you must--there has been many a Florida Mustang that made the mistake of lining up with this mid-8s monster. The parachute and wheelie bars stay in the shop when street duty beckons. This happens more often than you might think, as the car manages to accumulate a few hundred miles each month.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll 2nd the Regal T-type as a perfect sleeper.
Mine just blipped off a 12.83 @ 105 mph last night, and is still basically stock...
I've surprised many unsuspecting people who dared to pull alongside me at a traffic light... I usually let them think they are winning for a 100ft or so by laying back, then I stomp the pedal down and scream right past.

Pics are in this post: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=134&t=383511
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I have to go with the T-Type and GN as well. There is a video floating around the internet of a GN pegging a 1200hp dynojet. I wish I still had it. I would post a link.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have to go with the T-Type and GN as well. There is a video floating around the internet of a GN pegging a 1200hp dynojet. I wish I still had it. I would post a link.

I am not sure if this is the one you were talking about, but I hear it is one mean SOB.

www.bgnra.org/Chris_Chow_Dyno_Burn.htm
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#26]
If you debadged one of those SRT-4's and really upped the boost you could have a real sleeper.

Or how about the Hennessey PT Cruiser concept from a few years back.  They shoehorned the V10 into one in the rear......

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:32:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If you debadged one of those SRT-4's and really upped the boost you could have a real sleeper.

Or how about the Hennessey PT Cruiser concept from a few years back.  They shoehorned the V10 into one in the rear......

You'd also have to dump the gay-ass wing the SRT-4s come with.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:00:36 AM EDT
[#28]
BMW M5
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd also have to dump the gay-ass wing the SRT-4s come with.

Well of course, that goes along with "debadging"....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The problem with the GN's and T-types is..they aren't really sleepers. Unless you've been living under a rock somewhere in the desert..if you're looking for a race..you're gonna know what those cars are all about.
Now if you took the drivetrain and put it in a 2 door malibu.......................

I have seen a lot of guys putting the 3.8 in the S10s, but the greatest transplant of that motor of all time was in a Delorian.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I helped a friend drop a 360 in a jeep CJ7, first it had a severe case of axle wrap then after we added traction bars we kept twisting axles in half but damn, that thing was fast.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#33]
A couple or so.  A 4 door '70 Pontiac Catalina.  My mother owned one in about '77 that she bought from some little old lady with 18K.  It seemed to be a pretty big boat, don't know the weight for sure.  I do know it seemed to be packing a 400 that wasn't too far removed from the GTO.  It would certainly give most 340 Dusters, etc. a run for their money.  And it would absolutely smoke the "wide" 78 tires it was packing. Another guy in high school had a white '67 LeMans.  If it had not been for the rims, it would've been the ultimate.  Someone had put a 400 in it.  Absolutely quietest muscle car I ever rode in.  Didn't matter how slow you were going, the turbo 400 matching tranny always chirped the tires on the 1st-2nd shift.  It's not a sleeper anymore, but a co-worker stuffed a 401 AMC into an old Gremlin without much work.  It's impressive!  Another notable, the 80's SuperCoupe (?) Thunderbird.  4-71 blower on the 6 cylinder.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:34:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

GN are pretty sweet, escpecially the limited GnX versions.

You running a GLH or GLHS?

One that comes to mind:

Spirit R/T - You CAN'T make this car look appealing, but the damn thing would hold it's own agaisnt most sports cars of the time.

The SRT-4 is a nice ride, but it looks too agressive to be a sleeper. Still one of the best bang-for-buck four bangers.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not sure if this is the one you were talking about, but I hear it is one mean SOB.

www.bgnra.org/Chris_Chow_Dyno_Burn.htm

Yup, that's the Video I was thinking of...

It's not a single turbo V-6 anymore though...
He's running a Duttweiler 394 cube twin turbo V-8 now...  Car runs 8.00's @ 175...

VIDEO

IN CAR VIDEO

LINK to specs

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I helped a friend drop a 360 in a jeep CJ7, first it had a severe case of axle wrap then after we added traction bars we kept twisting axles in half but damn, that thing was fast.

We did that on a CJ5, headers w/purple hornies, 4 barrel carb.  We wore hearing protection when driving it, it was evil.  

The friend who owned it soon developed a new hobby of pissing off every person driving a sports car he could find by thoroughly hosing them at every oppurtunity.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GN are pretty sweet, escpecially the limited GnX versions.

You running a GLH or GLHS?

One that comes to mind:

Spirit R/T - You CAN'T make this car look appealing, but the damn thing would hold it's own agaisnt most sports cars of the time.

img7.imageshack.us/img7/282/spiritrt017uk.gif

The SRT-4 is a nice ride, but it looks too agressive to be a sleeper. Still one of the best bang-for-buck four bangers.

^_^_^

The spirit R/T was actually faster than the corvette in 91'. An yes, I do have an 86' GLHT which has been converted to TII, and is just about ready to fly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#40]
My friend had a 1980 AMC Spirt with a Rebel Machine 390, M22 9" ford rear. Motor is 600hp of so, in now lives in a 67 Javiln because the "A" post on the Spirt started to tear apart.

I have a Blown Mustangkenne-bell.com/owners.asp 6th one down. Anyway I got my clock cleaned by a Eagle Talon, AWD huge turbo, and NOS 511hp with no wheelspin, when all I get out of the hole is wheelspin....lol!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'd say:

(IMHO)

I thought the late 80"s model had a Supercharger not a turbo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd say:

(IMHO)

They had a turbo w/ the intercooler over the valve cover.  The TurboCoupe's came with IHI turbo's and the
84-86 SVO's came with a Garret T3/T4.  

My buddy is building up an 88 (or 87)  TC and he went with a T3.  The IHI's work but the t3's are bigger and put out more.  He also aced the top-mount intercooler and built a front mounted liquid cooled intercooler.  Most guys who build up the 2.3T's do this though.  Makes way more sense.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I would have to say the Grand Nationals when they first came out.

My thoughts exactly.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd say:

(IMHO)

They had a turbo w/ the intercooler over the valve cover.  The TurboCoupe's came with IHI turbo's and the
84-86 SVO's came with a Garret T3/T4.  

My buddy is building up an 88 (or 87)  TC and he went with a T3.  The IHI's work but the t3's are bigger and put out more.  He also aced the top-mount intercooler and built a front mounted liquid cooled intercooler.  Most guys who build up the 2.3T's do this though.  Makes way more sense.

All the SVOs had 60 trim T3 turbos, as did the pre-87' turbo coupes. Some came with .63 hot sides which were usually on manual trans cars. The 87' and 88' TC did have the puny IHI turbo, but no turbo ford from that era came with a T3/T4 hybrid.

Although I had a hybrid on my TC when I had it. It sure would scoot for a 3800lb. 4 cyl.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#45]
A ture sleeper should be a stock vehicle...the way the manufacturer designed and sold it...

In that case.....The Omni GLHS.  Boxy, grogery getting styling with a sub 14 sec 4 door....0-60 5.5sec.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#46]
The twin turbo Toyota Supra. It was the fastest production car when it hit the streets back in it day. 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, inline 6 engine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top