Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 7:53:05 PM EDT
Without a doubt, the world's greatest guitarist... the man could burn the varnish off the fret board without blinking an eye, the man that played and made money in country, in rock, in pop... there is no equal... the man, the legend... MISTER CHET ATKINS!!

the second greatest guitarst is Rick Nielsen...

the third greatest guitarist is probably Jimmy Page, followed by Yngwei, and then Eddie... oh, wait... we can't foget mustaine, or hetfield, or.... damn... there's just so many great guitarists....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Joe Satriani or Eric Johnson
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Even at a mere 26 years old, I might have to give the nod to Mr Chet Atkins. Absolutely amazing.

Hey, you guys ever hear that duet he did with Mark Knopfler? Pretty damn cool. Now that Chet is dead, I almost cry when I hear it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Peter Wichers.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Jimi Hendrix, playing 35 years ago what everyone is copying today, played Chuck Berry tunes with his teeth. then Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Lee Hooker and Joe Satriani as my favs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
no........

either

or

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Without a doubt, the world's greatest guitarist... the man could burn the varnish off the fret board without blinking an eye, the man that played and made money in country, in rock, in pop... there is no equal... the man, the legend... MISTER CHET ATKINS!!

images.google.com/images?q=tbn:xmvZGPV4Mv8J:www.guitaremania.com/fonds%2520ecran/fond_chet_atkins.jpg

the second greatest guitarst is Rick Nielsen...

www.cheaptrick.com/images/08_24_05/images/rntp1.jpg

the third greatest guitarist is probably Jimmy Page, followed by Yngwei, and then Eddie... oh, wait... we can't foget mustaine, or hetfield, or.... damn... there's just so many great guitarists....

Slash Clapton and Vaughn all pop into mind VERY high up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Hendrix
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hendrix

You're a "DeadHead" aren't you?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hendrix

No,  you?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
SRV, Jeff Beck... buncha good ones out there...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Angus Young
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hendrix

No,  you?

Cow Palace, ShoreLine, and oakland Amp on halloween night back in the 80s.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
no........

either

images.art.com/images/-/Stevie-Ray-Vaughan--C10035110.jpeg

or

www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/jul05/assets/images/jimmy.gif

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Most of the best guitarists alive will tell you that those two are the best who ever lived.

The original poster mention Hetfield... are you talking about James Hetfield of Metallica?  NFW, dude.  James plays back-up guitar.  Hammett is MUCH MUCH better than James.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Cow Palace, ShoreLine, and oakland Amp on halloween night back in the 80s.

www.sunshinejoy.com/images/GDGifts/GDSSYF03.jpg

I saw ZZ Top at Cow Palace, and the Stones and Who at Candelstick in the 80's.

Never saw the Dead, but I heard they put on a good show. (from my stoner friends)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Never saw the Dead, but I heard they put on a good show. (from my stoner friends)

Saw Edger Winter at Cow Palace and Neil Diamond up north.

ANd a few others I don't quite remember but I am told I was there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Zakk Wylde or Dimebag Darrell
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saw Edger Winter at Cow Palace and Neil Diamond up north.

ANd a few others I don't quite remember but I am told I was there.

I have vague memories of a Clash concert once...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Wylde is a good actor beleieve it or not.  Ever see Troy?

ETA he's uncredited in it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The original poster mention Hetfield... are you talking about James Hetfield of Metallica?  NFW, dude.  James plays back-up guitar.  Hammett is MUCH MUCH better than James.

I don't think you can compare James and Kirk like that. They have two different roles in the band. James has written some of the greatest rock riffs AND SONGS of all time, while Kirk has just played some of the greatest solo's of all time. However, Kirk did write the main riff from Enter Sandman, and Lars fine-tuned it (oddly enough).

I find I am more partial to James' solos. i.e. the Master of Puppets interlude solo, To Live is to Die interlude solo, Nothing Else Matters solo, and the House That Jack Built solo. I think his solo's have more feeling to them. As I used to say, "If a Metallica solo gives you a boner, it's Kirk. But. if a Metallica solo makes you cream your pants, its James."

I just think they have two entirely different roles. James writes great songs and riffs, whereas Kirk writes great solos.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#21]
One of my favorites:

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Favorite Riff'meister:

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#23]
What...no Steve Vai?!?!?!

Look, the others are good and all, but at the end of the day, it's still an art...and as much as I think Vai is a technical robot at times, just following the circle of 7, the man is most certainly an artist when he steps outside that box.

Satriani is up there as well, but somtimes I think he gives a little art up for a little soul in his music. Nothing wrong with that.

Others...innovators, technicans, sure. But truly artists? I am not totally convinced...

ETA: I forgot to mention Chris Poland. For those who doubt, pick up "Return to Metalopolis". He plays every instrument you hear, save drums. His brother beats the skins. Try to pick up the disc with the two extra tracks that were not in wide release.

Another artist.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#25]
1. Jimmy
2. Jimi
3. Stevie
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Robin Trower.....Frank Zappa......Ted......Buck Dharma

A word about Hendrix..
Eric Clapton and  Neil Young walked into a concert and they had not heard Hendrix before.
Eric Clapton looks at Neil Young and said, " Who's this Fuckin' Guy"? " We might as well just
quit right now."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry, it's gonna have to go to Carlos Santana.

We're not talking about ripping a guitar in half, but making it sing, speak to you in a manner that captures.

cya
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
All mentioned are excellent, but I doubt any of them would say they were
better than Django Reinhardt. Read the story and decide. He once jammed
with Willie Nelson, and Mr.Nelson says he'd never seen playing nor heard
music like that in his life. This was played by a guy with a terribly disfigured
hand caused by a fire.
Ck it out.
www.redhotjazz.com/django.html
http://www.redhotjazz.com/django.gif
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Sorry, it's gonna have to go to Carlos Santana.

We're not talking about ripping a guitar in half, but making it sing, speak to you in a manner that captures.

cya

Santana, Clapton, and Vaughn could all do that.  So could Slash, but you had to be under the influence to understand it.  But that's ok
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh . . .

well . . . .

We can just forget about Les Paul then ......

Too many to even count, eh?

ETA:  Damn!  I forgot Sabicas!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#31]
But what about the greatest saxophonist?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
But what about the greatest saxophonist?

img275.imageshack.us/img275/8832/billsax8ph.jpg

The next president ( I hope I hope I hope) is our governer now.  Mike Huckabee.  A VERY pro gun former minister.  The dems will have a fucking fit.  And he's a guitar player in a band called "capitol offense"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Frank Zappa(.........WAAAAAYYYY underrated, IMO.)
Carlos Santana.
Mark Knopfler.
Alex Skolnick (Testament, also jazz guitar player)
John Sykes (Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#34]
There are a lot of excellent guitar players, but I can think of none better than Chet Atkins.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#35]
No particular order:

1.  Steve Howe
2.  Alan Holdsworth
3.  Steve Morse
4.  Alex Lifeson
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Way too many to list. Best acoustic guitarist around right now is Monte Montgomery out of Austin. www.alvarezgtr.com/artistpage.htm?ArtistID=149
He says you can do anything with an acoustic that you can do with an electric if you turn it up loud enough......he does in spades. If he makes it to your area check him out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Way too many to list. Best acoustic guitarist around right now is Monte Montgomery out of Austin. www.alvarezgtr.com/artistpage.htm?ArtistID=149
He says you can do anything with an acoustic that you can do with an electric if you turn it up loud enough......he does in spades. If he makes it to your area check him out.

He looks like he could be Gary Allen's brother.  Gary is a helluva guitar player to.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Not saying he is the "best", but Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top deserves mention with most of the players mentioned.
He is a great player live.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#39]

<-----------------------

#1.

#2.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#42]
For me, I say Robert Randolph, Clapton or Santana.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#43]
For me, no other guitar player can approach the raw emotion that SRV conveys in his playing. 25 note per-second riffs is not what makes a good player. It's how well the player can touch your soul with his music. Give the below SRV live performance a listen. I also think Jimi had the same magic but I think he stayed too fooked up on drugs to really let his real talent shine through. Band of Gypsies was one exception. That had the raw emotion I am talking about.

SRV--Voodoo Child--LIVE--8mb
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#44]
So many greats already covered in other replies, here are 2 more:

Eric Gales of the Eric Gales Band

The Late Tommy Bolin of (The Tommy Bolin Band, James Gang,Zepher, Billy Cobham Band,Deep Purple)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top