Posted: 10/11/2007 6:39:55 PM EDT
I might have to go with Jack

poll coming
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Swayze
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Pacino sucks more dong than a Vietnamese whorehouse.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I like those guys but I go with an earlier generation. Burt Lancaster had a range these guys don't have.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The greatest actor of not just our time, but all time past and future, is Gary Sinese.  Bar none.  No poll needed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
While i like all 3 of the actors listed in the thread title

my pick for that general age group would be Morgan Freeman

for the newer generation I would pick Christian Bale

Yes. A very good choice.

How about Forest Whitaker..

Whitaker would make my short list for sure

As would Anthony Hopkins and Denzel
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Some good ones tossed out.

I'll still stick with Kevin Spacey, but will add Whitaker and Hopkins.  Robert Duvall, as well, while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ed Norton

THAT'S the name.  I couldn't remember his name.  Just seeing him from American History X to Fight Club, it was hard to imagine it was the same guy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Not necessarily the "greatest" but he definitely has had some of the greatest monologues... Christopher Walken.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ed Norton

THAT'S the name.  I couldn't remember his name.  Just seeing him from American History X to Fight Club, it was hard to imagine it was the same guy.

Norton's best role to me was "Aaron Stampler" opposite hamster gere in "Primal Fear"

His skill almost made up for gere's lack thereof
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Harrison Ford
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not necessarily the "greatest" but he definitely has had some of the greatest monologues... Christopher Walken.

Definitely some of the greatest Monologues, but he always plays Christopher Walken.

Damn, though - he gets some good lines.  His speeches in "True Romance," "Pulp Fiction," "The Prophecy," and "Man on Fire" are some of the most memorable in movie history.

This reminds me - this thread has been seriously overlooking another great actor - Dennis Hopper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ed Norton

Norton's best role to me was "Aaron Stampler" opposite hamster gere in "Primal Fear"

His skill almost made up for gere's lack thereof

Gere sucks hamster balls.  I have hated him since "An Officer and a Gentleman."
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Redford. The Natural is one of my favorite movies of all time AND he was in a Bridge Too Far. Denzel after that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]
pretty close , al pacin and deniero    
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for Tom Hanks.  He is 100% believable in any role he plays.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Redford. The Natural is one of my favorite movies of all time AND he was in a Bridge Too Far. Denzel after that.

His only decent roles were "The Natural" and "Jeremiah Johnson" - but even those were both pretty much the same character.  I'll keep him in the "overrated" column along with Pacino.

Heck, Dustin Hoffman could act circles around Redford, and I'm no Hoffman fan.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dispite his left leanings......I'd have to go with Tom Hanks.

+1

Tom Hanks is good, but I have to agree about Robert Duvall, just because he's been in more films and a great variety.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Definitely some of the greatest Monologues, but he alsways plasy Christophe Walken.

Dan, though - he gets some good lines.  His speeches in "True Romance," "Pulp Fiction," "The Prophecy," and "Man on Fire" are some of the most memorable in movie history.

This reminds me - this thread has been seriously overlooking another great actor - Dennis Hopper.

You're Sicilian right?  Sicilians were spawned by....

I love that movie.  I may have to watch that tonight now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely some of the greatest Monologues, but he alsways plasy Christophe Walken.

Dan, though - he gets some good lines.  His speeches in "True Romance," "Pulp Fiction," "The Prophecy," and "Man on Fire" are some of the most memorable in movie history.

You're Sicilian right?  Sicilians were spawned by....

I love that movie.  I may have to watch that tonight now.

Dangit, quoted before I could fix the typos...  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Pacino is the correct answer.

Michael Corleone, Frank Serpico, "Sonny," Arthur Kirkland, Tony Montana, Lt. Col Frank Slade, Ricky Roma, Carlito Brigante, Lefty Ruggiero, Lt. Vincent Hannah.

Game over.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#21]
My top ten American actors in no particular order:

James Stewart

Tom Hanks

John Wayne

Gene Hackman

Humphrey Bogart

Clint Eastwood

Morgan Freeman

Gary Cooper

Gregory Peck

Harrison Ford
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Morgan Freeman is one of the very best.

Denzel Washington may be getting the best roles, and he deserves them.

Jeff Bridges is doing great work.

Michael Caine is one of my favorites.

Tom Selleck has become a wonderful actor. His latest stuff is subtle yet emotional.

I'm a big fan of Tom Hanks.

Jack, Al, Robert and Paul are great at playing themselves. Like John Wayne, they're always fun to watch. But I like to see an actor stretch, play different moods, types of characters. Viggo Mortensen is doing that lately. I like Eastern Promises a lot.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Morgan Freeman
Ed Norton
Al Pacino
Gene Hackman
Maybe  Nicholson, but like Walken, he seems to always be playing Jack Nicholson
Steve McQueen
Gregory Peck
I'll tack on Clint Eastwood.
After seeing Training Day, Denzel Washington

And a post from RustedAce reminded me of how awesome Donald Sutherland was in Kelly's Heroes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
BRUCE CAMPBELL FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop smart, shop S-Mart!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Michael Corleone, Frank Serpico, "Sonny," Arthur Kirkland, Tony Montana, Lt. Col Frank Slade, Ricky Roma, Carlito Brigante, Lefty Ruggiero, Lt. Vincent Hannah.

Game over.

I'll give you Michael Corleone and Sonny.  Later, he just seemed to get to into playing outlandish versions of the same guy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Christopher Walken

Yep ..can steal any scene he's in no matter who else is in the movie.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Game over.

I'll give you Michael Corleone and Sonny.  Later, he just seemed to get to into playing outlandish versions of the same guy.

Has pacino ever been in a film where he doesnt end up yelling at the top of his lungs?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Robert Duvall, probably played a broader range of characters than all listed, combined.

+1 for the Great Santini
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Alec Baldwin  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Has pacino ever been in a film where he doesnt end up yelling at the top of his lungs?

Heheheh

He's had a great career, but as an actor, I'll take Dustin Hoffman over him every time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Game over.

Pacino is a great actor but he has to add a little bit of "over the top" to most of his roles

I enjoy his acting but his range isn't that great IMO

The reason i named Morgan Freeman is because of his range (Hoke Colburn vs. Somerset vs. Jim vs. Col. Kurtz) He owns and becomes the character he portrays
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Robert Duvall, probably played a broader range of characters than all listed, combined.

+1 for the Great Santini

I remember in the late 70's early 80's, when I was a kid, he had some sort of record in the Guiness Book as the most prolific actor onscreen, he had played just about more roles than anybody up to that point. IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dispite his left leanings......I'd have to go with Tom Hanks.

+1

+2
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Since you said American, that rules out Anthony Hopkins, who I think is the best all around actor currently working.  Also rules out Gary Oldman, who I think is the best character actor currently working.

American?

Pacino has to be in the short list.
DeNiro has to be there, too, but he also had inexcusably "phoned-in" a few roles.

I agree F. Whitaker is very good, too, but needs more time to make any "Greatest" list.
Another actor without enough roles yet, but absolutely with the chops is Don Cheadle.

I would put Walken in a separate category of Character Actors, versus leading men.
He'd have to be very high on that list, along with Harvey Keitel.
Other character actors that are great:
William H. Macy

It's too late to think - I'll ETA any others that come to mind.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Since you said American, that rules out Anthony Hopkins, who I think is the best all around actor currently working.  

Heh - I would have brought up Anthony Quinn (despite his being dead) but I feared Arfcom would call for my lynching if a mentioned a Mexican-born actor.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Alec Baldwin  

The greatest actor that has ever lived
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Spencer Tracy

James Cagney
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
DiCaprio

After watching The Departed and Blood Diamond, I would have to agree.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's an off the wall pick ... Billy Bob Thornton

Think about the differences in some of his roles.

NASA Director in Armageddon

Johnny Tyler in Tombstone

Davy Crockett in the Alamo

Carl in Slingblade

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Anthony Hopkins

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Ed Norton
James Spacey
I will admit, I was impressed with DiCaprio in Blood Diamond.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll watch anything Tom Hanks does. And Robert Duvall
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#44]
thats tough.  deniro is great but i think i will go with pacino.  i like scarface tooooooo much
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Fred Thompson
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#46]
<--- pacino for me

Quoted:
Pacino sucks more dong than a Vietnamese whorehouse.

you're the guy that thought goodfellas sucked right?
no offense intended, but I'll get my cinematic advice elsewhere
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Game over.

I don't think so... you gotta problem with that?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#48]
George C. Scott
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
George C. Scott

He was excellent in Patton.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Algore. Got a lot of people fooled.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top