Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:53:13 AM EDT
Great pics of tanks and humvees stuck and other mishaps in the sandbox!

Not  dial up friendly

OOPS! Pictures from the Sandbox

An example - sinking fast
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That first one    DOH!

Look at that water pouring in the drivers hatch....someone's gonna get their peepee whacked for that one!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That first one    DOH!

Look at that water pouring in the drivers hatch....someone's gonna get their peepee whacked for that one!

No!

He got awarded honorary Submariner's Dolphins!  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
NICE! Thats some funny shit right there....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to the index and he has some really good pics.....................I d/l this one to tiny pic so it doesnt steal all his bandwidth

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Go to the index and he has some really good pics.....................I d/l this one to tiny pic so it doesnt steal all his bandwidth

i1.tinypic.com/nphwgg.jpg

The whole prime portal site is amazing!

Yeah I did the tinypic thing too. (Avoid red X's)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Haven't looked at any yet, but, I'm willing to bet that they all could be captioned:

"Driver stop!  Driver back up! Driver back up!"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Those were cool pics.  Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is a close up I found of the hatch on _DR's first pic

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]
tagged...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Ouch !  

That's gotta suck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#12]
tagged...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I gotta go to work thanks for the link _DR
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ouch !  

i1.tinypic.com/npi6is.jpg

That's gotta suck.

Were they even able to extricate this one?  I cannot imagine the surrounding high ground being much better than the wet part.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ouch !  

That's gotta suck.

The weird thing is look how deep it sunk....if you were just driving by I bet you figure "oh, its just a little roadside ditch with some water and reeds...."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ouch !  

That's gotta suck.

Were they even able to extricate this one?  I cannot imagine the surrounding high ground being much better than the wet part.

This is the 88 that was supposed to pull them out I think he said, it ended up getting stuck too.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#18]
START DIGGING BOYS!

Something tells me they were digging for a long time...

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Just remember that this is the same unitt that had a motivated soldier get arrested for trying to give information on the Abrams weaknesses and US SOP's/TTP's to the insurgency prior to deployment.

The pride of the Army if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just remember that this is the same unitt that had a motivated soldier get arrested for trying to give information on the Abrams weaknesses and US SOP's/TTP's to the insurgency prior to deployment.

The pride of the Army if you ask me.

Rebelgray?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeppers, there were some other incidents with this unit that did not paint a pretty picture of the armed forces, but since I have not seen any of them published you will have to get them form someone else.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#22]
FWIW, Rebelgray was in a different company, battalion and State from this one. With all due respect, Stefbo, up yours. I do not believe that the works of others should be tainted by the actions of one. Shall I tarnish the 101st for the actions of Sgt Ackbar?

I should point out that that web page looks strangely familiar.

I can't imagine why... (See how observant some of you are)

(The root page is www.clubi.ie/exalted/sightssounds.htm, please go there for the hit counter]www.clubi.ie/exalted/sightssounds.htm, please go there for the hit counter)

NTM
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
FWIW, Rebelgray was in a different company, battalion and State from this one.

data.primeportal.net/iraq/chai1.JPG

(The root page is www.clubi.ie/exalted/sightssounds.htm, please go there for the hit counter)

NTM

Could it be because the funny looking guy in the pic is....you?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Could it be because the funny looking guy in the pic is....you?

Funny how that works...

No!

He got awarded honorary Submariner's Dolphins!

This was the citation read out for the awards ceremony. (Apologies if I got any of the Navalese wrong)

All hands, attention to orders.

Chief of the Boat: Chief Petty Officer XXX (1-3). As the senior member of the crew, and skipper of U-13, your dedication to proving that your vessel could indeed submerge is the manifestation of a mis-directed career in the Army. Not only did you succeed in submerging your vessel in water, you also had a damned good try at doing it in dry land only a few weeks later. You are an inspiration to your crew, and submarine tankers everywhere. Your talents have not gone un-noticed in the Silent Service, nor has your general good humour about the whole situation in retrospect. Accordingly, you are hereby awarded the submariner’s qualification badge (the dolphins)

By order, Gordon R England, Secretary of the Navy.

Gun Controller of the Watch: Petty Officer XXX (1-3G).
Despite a complete lack of any form of visibility in all situations, for gallantly holding on for dear life despite the unpredictable movements of the vessel, and for providing the world with a visual record of the submergence, the world of submarine tankers thanks you. Accordingly, you are hereby awarded the submariner’s qualification badge.

By order, Gordon R. England, Secretary of the Navy.

Helmsman. Able Seaman XXX (1-3D)
As the man behind the tiller, Seaman Wiltsey’s unquestioning obedience of orders was critical to the success in USS Bulldog’s maiden voyage. The lack of diving controls proved to be no hindrance to his unparalleled skills at the helm, nor did the lack of an anchor in any way detract from his abilities to moor USS Bulldog securely to the canal. For these acts of heroics, you are hereby awarded the submariner’s qualification badge.

Gunner’s Mate. Able Seaman XXX (1-3L)
Seaman XXX’s role in these events could be perhaps overlooked by those without the suitable knowledge. He could have sabotaged the whole endeavour by simply plugging up the gun tube with a gun round, and thus restricted the access of water into the vessel.He then heroically abandoned tank with unheard of speed, thus allowing the starboard side to become noticeably heavier and aid the listing of the vessel. You are hereby awarded the submariner’s qualification badge.

Ab’aft.. Face.
(Applause).
Return to your stations.

This is what we gave the tank:

NTM
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#25]
It's amazing how deep you can bury those things.    I guess that's why I stuck with Aviation.

One time at Graffenwoer I watched a German Leopard II launch itself off a dirt ramp, get great air time and then bury itself in a mud pit.  That sucker was almost up to the TC’s hatch.  I wish I had the time to watch the recovery op.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
FWIW, Rebelgray was in a different company, battalion and State from this one. With all due respect, Stefbo, up yours. I do not believe that the works of others should be tainted by the actions of one. Shall I tarnish the 101st for the actions of Sgt Ackbar?

(The root page is www.clubi.ie/exalted/sightssounds.htm, please go there for the hit counter]www.clubi.ie/exalted/sightssounds.htm, please go there for the hit counter)

NTM

Let the photoshopping begin.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Can you say "Operational Loss?"??

I'm pretty sure that the crew that sank it got to muck it out after recovery.

We did do some work on it, but frankly, once the water drained out, there wasn't much to muck out.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I dunno that looks more like sewage than water.  

I wouldn't want anybody to think that the Navy doesn't do things like this.  But a Ringknocker Chief Engineer on my ship decided the rules about dewatering the bilges to oil-containment floats ("doughnuts") didn't apply to him   Well the sailor he directed to disobey a variety of rules failed to line up the system correctly after pumping the bilges.    The Deck Log entry was "Sounding & Security Watch reports deckp[lates stolen in Main Control.  Duty Engineer called and directed to ascertain situation"  the next entry "Duty Engineer reports flooding in #2 Enginer Room. Called away Rescue and Assistance Team.  Called Captain and Chief Engineer at home."

Flooding the lower level of an engine room sure messes up a lot of motors, switch panels, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Once saw a GOER get stuck worse than that,troop though it would be fun to go into swamp in Ft. Stewart,had to borrow an M-88 to get it out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

Let the photoshopping begin.

OK guys, here's the deal.
This thread is not about whether or not anybody from any unit did anything wrong or not.
It's about tanks getting stuck in the mud, and the hard work our troops in OIF do everyday on our behalf.

Believe me, EVERY unit has their bad apples. Anyone who tries to blackball an entire unit for the actions of one soldier is being Disengenious.
One more suggestion of this and the thread gets locked, OK?

Mr Moran, thanks very much for your service and the photos. From what I can tell you and your unit have done more to win Iraqi hearts and minds than many others in theatre. You guys were obviously  doing something right in the face of innumerable hardships. It's good the see the Combat Arms have remained as versatile, hardworking and effective as when I was still in.

Carry on.

_DR
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I cant believe we are still using yesterdays recovery vehicles to get out todays tanks.

I bet they dug for days.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I cant believe we are still using yesterdays recovery vehicles to get out todays tanks.

I bet they dug for days.

Don't they have a recovery vehicle based on the M1 chassis now? Although I certainly have not seen anything but 88s being used.

ETA -  yep here is the ARV, based on the M1 chassis. I'll bet there aren't enough to go around.
That thing looks like a workhorse.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#35]
There aren't any of them to go around. It was canned together with Wolverine and Grizzly. The latest and greatest ARV is the M88A2 Hercules, which is actually pretty strong.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough of those to go around either.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There aren't any of them to go around. It was canned together with Wolverine and Grizzly. The latest and greatest ARV is the M88A2 Hercules, which is actually pretty strong.

www.tankmastergunner.com/images/military/m88A2.jpg

Unfortunately, there aren't enough of those to go around either.

NTM

I suppose if it works, keep them going. But we were using old M88's in '85 when they were pulling my tracks out of the Cowhouse creek at Fort Hood. Definitely a vintage design, old M60 Chassis.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I bet they dug for days.

Might depend if they had some Heavy Engineer support on tap, when I was with the 84th Engineers our Earth Moving Platoons were very impressive at moving dirt with the D7's/D8's and other big toys.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#38]
That tank was out again within about five hours.

The shovels basically dealt with the 'suction', and cleaned out the suspension/tracks, then two 88s with blocks just used brute force.

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top