Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:27:14 AM EDT
Found this artical whilst browsing. Good read.
A Critical Look at the Springfield Mil-Spec

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one, too heavy for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Wish I didn't sell mine, now I'm saving for a loaded
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I like mine, but I did have to send it back because the extractor wouldn't extract.

I would still love one of the real WWII ones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Well you big sissy
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well you big sissy

It clashed with those fabulous silk boxers I wear also.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Found this artical whilst browsing. Good read.
A Critical Look at the Springfield Mil-Spec

A "review" was needed for a gun that's been around since, well, 1911????????    
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is my Mil-Spec, before and after I've done a little work on it. The beavertail grip safety I'll have to replace again, I bought the wrong one and it left a gap.

Before

After I like this pic better
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't wait to get mine back from my son.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an old Mil Spec I bought in 92, it was flawless from day one and made a nice custom carry gun.   My GI I purchased last year has also been flawless for the 2500+ rounds it's gone through.  Not a single malfunction of any sort with JHP, FMJ, LSWCs, and Wolf.   The current crop of springfield GI pistols has to be the "best buy" of any handgun on the market.    
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#10]
What would be a good price for a parkerized one new?

Danny
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What would be a good price for a parkerized one new?

Danny

SA Mil-spec in park is $499 at Quantico Arms.  At least on their website. I don't know about in-store availability.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I had one, alot of jams and fte problems.

Quality is really low on these.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you had a bad extractor it doesnt mean quality is low.  You are in the minority there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you had a bad extractor it doesn't mean quality is low.  You are in the minority there.

+1

Definitely a minority.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I had alot of work doen to it before I sold it.

It started wearing the finish in front of the slide withint the first 20 rounds going through the barrel. Every few shots I would get a Failt to Extract.
Everonce in a while I would also get a stovepipe.

Not a good gun, and I never said all of their guns were bad, just mine did not have proper QC. When looking in the $400+ pistol market, there are plenty more reliable and higher quality(XD for one)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#16]
If you have a lot of work done by someone who doesnt know jack about 1911s you'll get a gun that doesnt work.  

There are very few decent 1911s that wont work right with a properly tuned extractor and good mags.    You may have had a lemon, but quality control is definitely not lacking in these pistols.   My last P220 was a lemon, I couldnt get through a 100 round qual wihtout malfunctions but I never thought all P220s were of low quality.   In fact I bought another one that is 100% reliable.  The P220 is a $650+ gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#17]
My Springer GI had a problem with not going into battery, right out of the box. Tried a stronger recoil spring, tried a shock buffer - nada. Put about 600 rounds through it - with careful cleaning every 100 rounds. Nada. Had a gunsmith tune the extractor. Nada. We're talking WWB ball ammo here.

After doing some reading, I tuned the extractor myself by pulled it out, sticking it in the hole half way, and bending it. After some trial and error, it seems to function just fine now. If it'll go 500+ rounds without a hicccup, I'll consider it good. I had Novaks installed recently, and I can finally hit what I'm aiming at.

Considering that the extractor is "tuned" by bending the damn thing, I'm honestly suprised that any mass produced 1911 works 100% at all out of the box. Seems to me like dicking with them is kind of a given. Oh well, I still love it - "idiot" scratches and all.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Guess I have to find the money to get one and "test" it along side of my trusty Colt series 70. The Colt was my duty gun for 6 years and has never had a problem. I have been looking for just such a review on the SA.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My Springer GI had a problem with not going into battery, right out of the box. Tried a stronger recoil spring, tried a shock buffer - nada. Put about 600 rounds through it - with careful cleaning every 100 rounds. Nada. Had a gunsmith tune the extractor. Nada. We're talking WWB ball ammo here.

After doing some reading, I tuned the extractor myself by pulled it out, sticking it in the hole half way, and bending it. After some trial and error, it seems to function just fine now. If it'll go 500+ rounds without a hicccup, I'll consider it good. I had Novaks installed recently, and I can finally hit what I'm aiming at.

Considering that the extractor is "tuned" by bending the damn thing, I'm honestly suprised that any mass produced 1911 works 100% at all out of the box. Seems to me like dicking with them is kind of a given. Oh well, I still love it - "idiot" scratches and all.

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSCN1040-WEB.JPG

Your extractor is a MIM part.  They can be hit and miss, buya Wilson combat "bulletproof" extractor and you wont have any further issues.   I have heard that MIM extractors do not hold proper tension after awhile.   Mine has been fine in the GI but if I were carrying it I would swap for the Wilson unit.

For a carry pistol I'd use the Wilson bulletproof extractors and slide stop in all of my 1911s.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine's not a GI model, but  I still love it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Your extractor is a MIM part.  They can be hit and miss, buya Wilson combat "bulletproof" extractor and you wont have any further issues.   I have heard that MIM extractors do not hold proper tension after awhile.   Mine has been fine in the GI but if I were carrying it I would swap for the Wilson unit.

For a carry pistol I'd use the Wilson bulletproof extractors and slide stop in all of my 1911s.  

Funny that you'd mention that. I'm no 1911 guru by any stretch of the imagination, and my experience with them is quite limited. Having said that, bending an injection molded part like that was strange. It doesn't "give" like a forged part. I honestly felt like I was going to snap it.

You're not the first person to suggest replacing some of the internals with Wilson forged parts. I'd also like to eliminate that stupid integrated lock system, and clean up the backstrap. The mainsping is too tight, IMHO. Then again, I make no claims to knowing what the hell I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Wilson bulletproof extractor alot, mine dropped in with no adjustment necessary in my old milspec and I've been running it without a hiccup for the last 10+ years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Then again, I make no claims to knowing what the hell I'm talking about.

Doesn't seem to slow anyone else down in here.............      
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Mil Spec in 38 Super. It is the most accurate pistol that I own. I replaced the trigger, thumb and grip safties, hammer, sear and guide with McCormick parts. I had the action smoothed as well. This was all done for competition work. The pistol was well fitted and well finished. I would get another in either 45 or 38 Super.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Love my Springer Mil-spec. Best $450 I have ever spent.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top