Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2004 6:09:46 AM EDT
On a lighter note today, some of my faves:

Tom Sawyer by Rush -- Neil Peart is always masterful in his craft, but the drum roll with crashes during the break are absolutely pure. The time changes in the fade out of the song are also worth mentioning.

Rock and Roll by Led Zepplin -- Although I the studio version is OK, I am specifically referencing the live version from Song Remains the Same. John Bonham displays a complete lack of facile dexterity on his drums and as a result almost beats the shit out of his kit. I've never seen drums hit so hard.

Amazing Journey by The Who -- Probably not as many of you have heard this. Its on Tommy. But it is a very exacting display of the disjointed random way in which Keith Moon approached drumming. After the short melodic opening of the song, Moon inserts two completely 'off time' drum rolls that amazing regain the original time signature.

Add your own.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Yyz (live version), by Neil Peart of Rush
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Tommy Lee, live in concert in his spinning drum cage playing upside down.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
What? You mention Neil Peart, but not Villa Strangiato??? Tom Sawyer, I agree, is pretty amazing, but don't forget Villa Strangiato.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
***SIGH***

Does anybody else appreciate the imense talent of Carmine Appice?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#5]
IRON BUTTERFLY

In-a-gadda-da-vida
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Anybody ever saw Rick Allen from Def Leppard play live? That's talent.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Check this one out:
DOUBLE drum solo, Chester Thompson and Phil Collins from "Los Endos" on the 1977 double live "Seconds Out" album.

Tight as a drum, as the saying goes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Everytime a def leppard song comes on, someone puts one arm behind their back and starts air drumming.  Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Ginger Baker - Cream - Layla/Disraeli Gears
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Keith Moon, "Doctor Jimmy" from Quadrophenia.

CW
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What? You mention Neil Peart, but not Villa Strangiato??? Tom Sawyer, I agree, is pretty amazing, but don't forget Villa Strangiato.

I agree.  Watch Live in Rio.  There's a few tracks that includes nothing but camera shots of Neil Peart -- La Villa Strangiato is one of the featured songs.

Also consider Stewart Copeland playing Syncronicity I live with The Police.  It's doesn't highlight his technical skills, but is a very energetic performance.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Just about anything "Herb" from Primus plays.

I would have to go with Terry Bozzio's playing on the Zappa album 'Bongo Furry.'

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#14]
IRON BUTTERFLY

what it that drum solo like 10 minutes long?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
For fun...Make A Difference Foundation came out with a CD back in 89 called Stairway to Heaven/ Highway To Hell.

Current bands did covers of groups that lost a member to a drug or alcohol related death.

Track 8 is a loose cover of MOBY DICK.....played by three drummers in unison, and individual solos. Three different styles a sounds.

The three drummers are
Tico Torres (Bon Jovi)
Jason Bonham (Bonham) John Bonham's son
and
Mickey Curry (session drummer, Bryan Adams, the Cult, Tom Cochran)

If you like drums, you'll like this song.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Dave Lombardo...

Check his work out with Apocalyptica, especially the song called "Apprehension".
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#17]
The Brazilian by Phil Collins......and no one has said Sheila E yet?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

whats got 9 arms and sucks???
def leopard
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dave Lombardo...

Check his work out with Apocalyptica, especially the song called "Apprehension".

Is this recent Apocalyptica?  I didn't know Dave played with them.

Could you provide more info?

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dave Lombardo...

Is this recent Apocalyptica?  I didn't know Dave played with them.

Could you provide more info?

They released an album in early 2003 called Reflections.  It was not available in the US, so I got mine from amazon . ca (Canada).  Recently, it's been re-released with a DVD and more tracks, and is now available in the US.  

Here are the tunes...

www.apocalyptica.com/releases/index.php
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

[bloodhoundgang]The drummer for Def Leppard's only got one arm[/bloodhoundgang]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Santana's Woodstock performance of "Soul Sacrifice".
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tommy Lee, live in concert in his spinning drum cage playing upside down.[/quote

Another vote for Tommy Lee. I think it was the girls,girls,girls tour in the late 80"s when he did the spinning drum set.
Burl1
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#24]
John Siomos on Frampton Comes Alive's "Do You Feel Like We Do"

He worked in my station in Brooklyn as an EMT for NYC EMS. He didn't talk about his previous career in rock much. Someone tried to call BS on him, he brought a Frampton album in with his picture with the rest of the band on the back in to the station and shut them up. Still was getting letters from an obssesed fan up til I left in 96 at the station.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick.

Yup, chain-smokin chubby guy that kicks ass with a simple set, all whilst looking like I do when I watch TV.

That kicks ass on some show-off with a 31 piece set and an overly complex geek-rock set list.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Stewart Copeland’s signature model is a faithful reproduction of the snare drum of “mysterious provenance” that he used with the Police and everything else from that time period. A brass shell that's 0.5mm thicker than the standard 1mm shell and the combination of a die-cast batter hoop with a triple flanged bottom hoop provides sounds that easily penetrate what Copeland describes as the “dirge from the bass and the ear-piecing sounds of a guitar.”

www.tama.com/snaredrums/product.asp?ID=3

Can't believe there aren't any more Copeland fans out there....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Neil Peart playing ____________________  (pick any RUSH song)
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
www.tama.com/snaredrums/intros/stewartcopeland/main_img.jpg

www.tama.com/snaredrums/product/images/SC145.jpg

Stewart Copeland’s signature model is a faithful reproduction of the snare drum of “mysterious provenance” that he used with the Police and everything else from that time period. A brass shell that's 0.5mm thicker than the standard 1mm shell and the combination of a die-cast batter hoop with a triple flanged bottom hoop provides sounds that easily penetrate what Copeland describes as the “dirge from the bass and the ear-piecing sounds of a guitar.”

www.tama.com/snaredrums/product.asp?ID=3

Can't believe there aren't any more Copeland fans out there....

Stewart's playing on "Driven to Tears"...genius.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Black Sabbath - Fairies Wear Boots (I think that's the one..Off of the Paranoid album)

I'm a product of the 70's  what can I say?

Morgan Rose from Seven Dust for current drummers

My son in the band called "Before the After"..Mesa, Arizona! (What can I say? Cheap plug..CD out soon)

Oh wait, the topic is Great Moments, not Great Drummers...Well, then it'll have to be the 2 that I mentioned...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top