Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 8:34:43 PM EDT
I purchased a Surefire D2 Defender flashlight last year when I went plain clothes and paid an arm and a leg. It is a damned great light but still pricey. I was looking for a cheaper lithium powered light to put in my wife's vehicle and found this guy's flashlight review page:

[url]http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash1.htm[/url]

It never ceases to amaze me how somewhere, someone is into whatever topic you may be interested in and how you can find stuff like this on the web. I mean, a flashlight collector for Pete's sake! Thought you guys may find that sight useful.

Anyway, I am gonna grab a couple of the Streamlight Scorpions. They are comparable to the D2 but about a third of the price at about $25-35! The price really has came down on these things and they also have a belt clip model available. Gotta love a 10 year shelf life on a battery plus it uses the 123 which is really common.

We all probably carry regularly but how many of us carry a good tactical light as well? Here is a great product at a great price, IMHO.

[img]http://store5.yimg.com/I/botach_1690_32661040[/img]

Botach has them for $29 without the clip and $34 with.

[url]http://www.botachtactical.com/streamlight.html[/url]

I hear the Cutlery Shop has them but I do not know if they have the clip model.

Enough about that, just thought that it was something we should all think about.

Stay safe, people!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
[bounce]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]
[soapbox]

[peep]

I'll get off my soapbox and go back to my hole...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
This dude is a SERIOUS flashlight NUT!

[img]http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led/collection0401.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The Streamlight Scorpion is a wonderful light!!  Besides the fact they're such a great price and the performance is so great the bulbs are only $4-5 compared to $15 & up for the Surefire series. The rubber coated housing is also great for when you're working on something and you need to hold the light with your teeth.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
now do they make a remote switch for it and a foreward mount?

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]
IA, I can't see how there could be a remote option for this particular light as it's body is covered in seamless rubber.

I did notice the other day that there is now a remote pressure switch for the Streamlight (or Insight Technologies) M-3 weapon mounted light. I have an M-3 for my Glock and find it a very good product. They make mounts and adapters for a wide range of handguns and longarms. The price is right on these lights as well, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Are the streamlights really as bright as the surefires?  They measure in candlepower where streamlight measures in lumens and I don't know how to compare the two.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Ratters, I had the same questions about lumens v candlepower. I did a little research and I still have questions.

:)

It appears that there is no way to convert or compare the two because I THINK lumen ratings vary based on the distance at which the measurements are taken but CP is from a fixed distance. Also one looks at overall light output the other looks at focused output or some such. Do a Google search on Lumen versus CP and you will find more info than you can interpret... It was more than I could at least!

To answer you question, though, Surefires are generally brighter and most have a fixed focus. Streamlights a slightly less brillant but have a longer runtime. Also most Streamlights have adjustable lenses.

I guess the point is, $30 is a kick ass deal for a light WAY brighter and less that 1/10th of the size of a 5 D cell monster Mag Light. Hell, at that price you could almost consider it disposable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top