Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 6:00:17 PM EDT
Merry Christmas. I'll share my favorite jerky recipe.
3# beef or venison cut into 1\4" thick strips, easier to slice if almost frozen.
1 tablespoon salt.
1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, and ground black pepper.
1\4 cup soy sauce.
1\3 cup worcestershire sauce.
Marinate in fridge for 24 hours, then place in dehydrator until thoroughly dried. Or place on cookie cooling racks in the oven at 150 degrees.
If you have sodium nitrite add 3\4 teaspoon to 3# of meat. Sodium nitrite is used in meat curing and smoking as it removes moisture. ENJOY!
Also add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke per pound if desired.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever tried liquid smoke?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Woops, forgot the liquid smoke, 1 teaspoon per pound.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good.

I recommend the liquid smoke also, adds much needed "outdoors" flavor to oven or dehydrator jerky.

I started a Jerky thread a couple weeks ago, even had pics of the process for oven jerky with my favorite recipe. I've been making jerky now for about 4-5 years, beats store bought any day!

I use Morton TenderQuik as my preservative.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Morton Tenderquik is good. Makes it so easy to make the best corned beef. Do a search of their web site as they have some decent recipies.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite....

Start with a quality roast.  Have butcher slice 1/8" thick cross grain.
Take 1 large bottle Soy sauce
1 bottle wrights liquid smoke
1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)
Marinate overnight in pyrex bowl in refrigerator.
Dehydrate as you are equipped (dehydrator or oven)

I prefer a thinner slice and always go cross grain.  It marinates better and dehydrates faster as well as being easier to chew.  The brown sugar is optional as to whether you prefer sweeter or saltier flavor.  I usually leave it out myself.  The wife prefers it sweeter.  The liquid smoke adds just the right amount of "zing" to the recipe over just salt and soy.  Powdered garlic/onion are also optional additions depending on personal taste.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Merry Christmas. I'll share my favorite jerky recipe.
3# beef or venison cut into 1\4" thick strips, easier to slice if almost frozen.
1 tablespoon salt.
1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, and ground black pepper.
1\4 cup soy sauce.
1\3 cup worcestershire sauce.
Marinate in fridge for 24 hours, then place in dehydrator until thoroughly dried. Or place on cookie cooling racks in the oven at 150 degrees.
If you have sodium nitrite add 3\4 teaspoon to 3# of meat. Sodium nitrite is used in meat curing and smoking as it removes moisture. ENJOY!
Also add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke per pound if desired.
View Quote

Sub beef for venison and you have my fav so must say, good post my man!

Tj
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a good site with alot of info and recipes.

[url]http://home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Basics.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged for later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top