Posted: 12/29/2002 5:56:07 PM EDT
I decided to make some good chilli today.  Here is the recipe that I used:

4 lbs of stew meat
1 lbs of ground pork
2 TBSP of pure round up Ancho chile powder
2 cans of beef stock
1 can of chicken stock
3 bay leaves

I browned the meat with a little oil.  As it was browning I mixed in the Ancho chile powder.  The meat seared with the chile.  I then cooked the meat for a couple of hours in the stock and bay leaves.  I let it boil the entire time with no cover on the pot.  The meat was then tender and about half of the liquid gone.

2 tbsp of chopped garlic
2 tbsp of cumin
3 tbsp of pure ground Ancho powder
1 onion chopped up
1 tbsp of Mexican oregano
2 cans of crushed tomatoes
1 can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 cans of pinto beans
4 heaping tbsp of grape jelly (yea, that's right)
1 Lime
salt

I then put all the above ingredients except the lime in the pot with the meat.  Added a little water.  The jelly adds a nice smooth sweetness to the chilli.  I used all the adobe sauce in the can and I chopped up two of the peppers.  You can chop up as many of the peppers as you want.  More than two starts it getting hot.

I cooked the stuff for another hour covered under low heat.  About 10 minutes before serving I put in the juice of the lime.  A great flavor enhancer.

I don't like real hot chilli so I didn't put in any additional pepper.  You can, of course, put in as much as you want.  The ground pork adds another degree of sweetness to the chilli.  Try it, you like it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a great recipie.  And substitute recommendations for people who can't put beef in the chili (pork is okay)?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have made it using chunks of pork instead of the stew meat.  It is good also.  Be sure to use  at least one lb of ground pork because it will cook into a broth after awhile and add a great tase to the chilli.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Recipie saved!! Damn that sounds good, especially with some fresh homemade cornbread.
Damn, I'm hungry now!![:P]

-T.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you use the regular size cans of crushed tomatoes? Looks like a good recipe, I think I'll try it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]
What no pics????? Sounds good though[:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

What, you want to see the after effects of this meal? You're sick man! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What, you want to see the after effects of this meal? You're sick man! [;)]
View Quote

Whatever dumbass. You know what I mean[;)]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
It can't be labeled great until you can confirm that it only hurt twice. [pyro] [devil]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
That sounds like a good recipe. Here's the one I use and it make one hell of a great chili.

Kip's "Bad Boy" Chili

This is my adaptation of a recipe by Kit Anderson on the BBQ List.
I've tried a lot of chili recipes . . . this is the best, so far!

3 or 4 pounds - ground beef, 20/80 blend
    4 or 5 - thin cut pork chops, finely chopped
    8 - tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
    2 - cups - chopped onion
    3 - tablespoons finely chopped garlic
    4 to 5 tablespoons - Chile powder, best quality available
    1 teaspoon - oregano, dried
    1 teaspoon - cumin, ground
    1 28 oz. can - tomatoes, crushed
    6 to 8 - jalapeno chilies; *see prep. instructions below
    4 cubes - beef bouillon
    2 or 3 bottles - good beer, Killian Red is a good choice
    1 teaspoon - salt
    1/2 teaspoon - pepper, or to taste
    1/4 cup - bourbon; this just happened!
    1/4 cup - coffee, strong & black
    1 square - chocolate, bitter, baker's type
    Beans of some kind - pinto, kidney or black; I mix black & kidney

Pat the ground beef dry with paper towels. Cut the pork chop meat from the bone and cube into 3/4" pieces. In a large, heavy skillet,  and in 1/4 of the vegetable oil, brown the meat in three separate lots; 1 1/2 pounds at a time. Drain off most of the fat and water. Then, lastly, brown the pork cubes.  With a slotted spoon transfer the browned meat to your favorite chili pot and set aside.

In the skillet, add the last 2 oz. of oil and saute the onion and the garlic until just translucent, using low heat so as not to burn. Remove from heat and add to the skillet the Chile powder, oregano and cumin. Also add the green chiles; see below for how to prepare them. Stir until well mixed and then add the crushed tomatoes and the bouillon cubes. Stir once again and pour this into the chili pot with the meat. Add two of the beers, the bourbon and the coffee.

Add the salt and pepper and the chocolate. Mix it all together, put it back on the stove and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, partially covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. After about an hour check the consistency of the chili; add more beer to thin it out if necessary. Adjust to your taste. I like the chili fairly thick, not watery. One last thing …  add the (fully cooked) beans about a half hour before serving. Don't cook the beans in the chili.

* Chile pepper preparation:   With a propane torch scorch the skin of each of the Chile peppers. The skin will turn black and blister. Burn the hell out of it. Allow to cool and remove and discard the membrane and seeds. Warning; don't put your fingers in your eyes after touching the chiles. I recommend plastic gloves to handle the chiles. Chop very finely and add to the pot.  ENJOY!

*NOTE: You can substitute dried, crushed red pepper if you don’t want to mess around with the fresh peppers, or use both as I do.  One tablespoon for medium heat.

I don't care what anybody (Texans) says. I say, "It ain't chili if it don’t got beans!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top