Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2012 10:38:53 AM EDT

Do the current bearded Charlie Brown with a trucker hat in a cheap t-shirt, metrosexual guys qualify as an American social movement?  

I see them around with their female counterparts (Same as above but with big plastic glasses added) from time to time. They
seem to have nothing to say about anything. No POV. They just act weak (Offer to shake hands with one and watch 'em cringe.)
and wear thrift store clothes. That's it. Like adult sized children.

Is this the best Generation Y has to offer us?

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Masculinity is seen as a negative.

Personal Responsibility is seen as a negative.

Part of being masculine is taking responsibility.

Hipster (men) eschew all the trappings of masculinity and behave like over-grown children without responsibilities.

It is the perfect storm of the leftist embodiment of males.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
i lick my chops at the chance to shake a hipsters hand

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i lick my chops at the chance to shake a hipsters hand

If you enjoy hearing things dislocate you'll love it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate hipsters.
Just because I'm 30, rock a beard and wear nerd t-shirts people think I am one until they realize I'm not tatted up, wearing jeans that compress my junk or drinking PBR.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... sportos, motor heads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads...

Popped into my head when I read the OP as well.  

I wonder if anyone else gets it?

ETA: They all adore him!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Masculinity is seen as a negative.

Personal Responsibility is seen as a negative.

Part of being masculine is taking responsibility.

Hipster (men) eschew all the trappings of masculinity and behave like over-grown children without responsibilities.

It is the perfect storm of the leftist embodiment of males.

Seriously.  I know one 20-something who needs his mother to take him clothes shopping.  My father would have thrown my ass out the front door if I even asked either one of my parents to go just for an opinion.  

This kid can't do anything for himself, shuffles his feet, whines, and despite making more money than her, never seems to pay for his own clothes.  Oh, which she washes for him.

Wow.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... sportos, motor heads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads...

He's a righteous dude..

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Nah, the best Gen Y has to offer is either wearing a military uniform, doing something else that benefits everyone overall or at is productive in society in some way.  

The hipsters are just the most easily noticeable of the generation.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First thing I thought of, too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn I saw one this past weekend (NOVA tourist I guess) digging through clothes at the flea market that had the muscle-tone of a egg noodle. The woman (nice looker) with him was more fit. What a waste.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Damn I saw one this past weekend (NOVA tourist I guess) digging through clothes at the flea market that had the muscle-tone of a egg noodle. The woman (nice looker) with him was more fit. What a waste.

The woman was probably early to mid-twenties.  Without a doubt, she will start questioning her choice the first time any manual labor comes up, like changing a light bulb or putting air in a car tire.

Hipster men are a toy for women, until the women realize they need a MAN, not a girlfriend.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bueller ..... Bueller ..... Bueller .......
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I hate pulling this card but..........CA, USA.

It aint like that everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First thing I thought of, too.

Chips, dips, chains, whips, candle wax on the nipples. Your average teaange party.

Wes

ETA - Crap, I was thinking weird science, not FBDO.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't know how you can think hipsters are more effeminate than goths.  

It's really just the same old shit slightly re-hashed into a "new style."  I'm in my mid-thirties, so I don't really "get it," but I don't think it's the end of the world either.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The woman was probably early to mid-twenties.  Without a doubt, she will start questioning her choice the first time any manual labor comes up, like changing a light bulb or putting air in a car tire.

Hipster men are a toy for women, until the women realize they need a MAN, not a girlfriend.

I don't know....There are a lot of pasty-faced condo dwellers in NOVA that have everything done for them.

I think they believe it's cool not to be handy much less self-sufficient as most work for the .gov and can afford someone else to do the heavy lifting.

Ever see a hipster that owns a real house?

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#19]
OMG...  Wrong thread...  
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#20]
you've never met an actual punk lolol
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know....There are a lot of pasty-faced condo dwellers in NOVA that have everything done for them.

I think they believe it's cool not to be handy much less self-sufficient as most work for the .gov and can afford someone else to do the heavy lifting.

Ever see a hipster that owns a real house?

It is funny that you say that.  Through my girlfriend, I met a hipster couple that had just bought a house and were woefully unprepared for "reality".  Shit that I learned as a little boy about house maintenance, etc., was a whole new world opening up to them.  They WANTED to learn, which was great, but I blame their parents for doing NOTHING to prepare them on how to LIVE.  They were not poor, went to very good schools, were very smart... just not ready for "life".

Reminded me of this:
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I growled at a hipster once.

He decided to complain about me having a meat at the self check out isle loud enough for me to hear.  My better half was mad but I was content.  Hipster boy went to the other side of the checkout area.  Good day.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hate hipsters.
Just because I'm 30, rock a beard and wear nerd t-shirts people think I am one until they realize I'm not tatted up, wearing jeans that compress my junk or drinking PBR.

Kharn

I could have tolerated them until you said that they drink Pabst.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife doesn't bitch about fashion this much...
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a righteous dude..

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a righteous dude..

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/oldshool63/Edie-McClurg.jpg

Lol, I read that in her voice.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The woman was probably early to mid-twenties.  Without a doubt, she will start questioning her choice the first time any manual labor comes up, like changing a light bulb or putting air in a car tire...............

Or the burglar alarm goes off...............

"Relax, Ma'am. We'll send someone with balls over right away.

ETA: If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'..............

There's a car commercial airing now. Guy takes his car into the dealership. Service Manager says, "You were just here."

Guy says, "I know, but could you check the oil again and make sure it's PERFECT?"

Scene cuts to him at home about to take his pregnant wife to the delivery room. (Doesn't show the neighbor who must have knocked her up).

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

BRAVO!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#29]
from the 80's "  neo maxi zoom dweebi "
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I humiliated a metrosexual once and all the hipster chicks got upset.
They're the ones that reinforce that faggoty behavior.
I think it's what passes for motherhood in post-feminist women.
They coddle the boys and reward their non-threatening queer behaviour.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hate pulling this card but..........CA, USA.

It aint like that everywhere.

New York City, Chicago, Richmond VA

Hipsters are everywhere
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#33]
It's a counter culture without anything to make it a counter culture. It steals instead of creates. This is why 99% of modern music is awful crap.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#34]
If you get a chance , cram one of their legs in a grease gun , works great on tie-rods and u-joints .

Once you poke their eyes out , you get a much better grip on those little chucklehead-noggins , and you can usually chuck it about 60-80 yards , with ease .

. . . you see , if you take a pencil , that wont hold lead , looks like a pipe cleaner , attached to a head . . .
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sounds like old farts bitching about 'dem damn kids

I wore some pretty weird shit growing up (still do from time to time) and I still turned out to be a red-blooded American.

Quoted:
It's a counter culture without anything to make it a counter culture. It steals instead of creates. This is why 99% of modern music is awful crap.

...but I do agree there's at least a grain of truth to this.  Modern "cool" culture is like someone sieved out any philosophical concepts, emptied a bunch of unrelated fashion and cultural touchpoints into a blender, and hit "frappé".

Or maybe it's always been that way.  Who the fuck knows.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#36]
He's a one man, no gut, loosing streak...

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#37]
take advantage of it and profit. i've had people bring a lamp to my desk, have 'em go buy a bulb, swap it out and charge them $25. a regular screw in bulb, they were happy as hell to pay.
Same for tightening screws, etc.
Profit from them, apparently they have access to plenty of cash
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Was in Chicago over the fourth of July, they were everywhere.  But they take offense to actually being referred to as hipsters, they prefer to think of themselves as trendy or some shit.  Not sure if this has been posted here or not but it was in the other hipster thread:

The Life Organic

On a side note, did you know that the city of Chicago hates trucks?  I got a fucking ticket for parking my F-150 on a residential street, the citation on the ticket said something like "truck/bus/rv/taxi on residential street."  While there was a fucking hummer H3 across the street with no ticket.  You can keep your smart cars, zip cars, hipsters, and unfair parking practices, Chicago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
take advantage of it and profit. i've had people bring a lamp to my desk, have 'em go buy a bulb, swap it out and charge them $25. a regular screw in bulb, they were happy as hell to pay.
Same for tightening screws, etc.
Profit from them, apparently they have access to plenty of cash

Oh they do have the cash. The scene seems to like bicycles. Bright colored bikes. But wait. Look on Craigs. They build carbon framed, HED3 wheeled, "fixie" bikes that cost thousands, just to ride around the neighborhood. They're in such poor shape that's about all they can do, plus the idiots follow the fixed gear fad so they have only one gear and no brakes. Ouch! That gets old fast. They don't know it but they built a racing "track bike". Velodrome tracks are flat. The real world isn't. So on to Craigs it goes.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sums it up perfect. Lots of 'em at my favorite watering hole. But, they don't bother me. My buds and I
constantly wonder, "Why is she with that loser?"

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like old farts bitching about 'dem damn kids

I wore some pretty weird shit growing up (still do from time to time) and I still turned out to be a red-blooded American.
Quoted:

...but I do agree there's at least a grain of truth to this.  Modern "cool" culture is like someone sieved out any philosophical concepts, emptied a bunch of unrelated fashion and cultural touchpoints into a blender, and hit "frappé".

Or maybe it's always been that way.  Who the fuck knows.

Hell, I still wear weird shit, just not as weird as I used to, and I don't think I turned out too bad....

Sent you an email btw.  You're IM is full.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nah, the best Gen Y has to offer is either wearing a military uniform, doing something else that benefits everyone overall or at is productive in society in some way.  

The hipsters are just the most easily noticeable of the generation.

They're the most easily noticeable because they are the most numerous of the bunch.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Every time I hear or see the word hipster I immediately think back to this site:

http://lookatthisfuckinhipster.com/

My brother and I always have fun pointing them out to one another whenever we have the misfortune to find an area loaded with them.  Makes for some good comedic moments though so it isn't all bad.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My favorite hipster sighting was two of them asking the doorman at Ruth's Chris where they could get some Mediterranean vegan cuisine. The doorman looked at them like they were both retarded, pointed to the sign and asked if they knew what Ruth's Chris was. Everyone waiting for the valet burst out laughing as the woman stormed off, dragging her girl-pants-wearing boyfriend by the wrist.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He's a one man, no gut, loosing streak...  

Pencil neck geek.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top