Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2010 10:54:46 AM EDT
Shopping around for someone to design a logo, business card utilizing said logo, and a (VERY simple, two page) website (no storefront or anything interactive, just a home page and a contact us page, again utilizing said logo).  I've already got the domain name registered and hosted.  I don't anticipate being very anal about the logo design.

What is a going rate for the above?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Everyone's rate is different...

Also someone who charges $50/hr but is slow is going to cost you more than someone who charges $100/hr but is facile in everything you need.

IMHO we have enough guys here on Arfcom who could handle this for you, you might want to check around here first. The closest forum we have for you to use is the Photography/Photoshopping forum. Our more creative types hang out there.

I design all of the above (don't program HTML yet though). I'd charge around $450 - $500 or more for this (low end = great input up front and minimal changes, high end = me guessing and taking stabs in the dark...)

Every designer is different though. You might get guys willing to work for less, and I might have guys berating me for "giving it away". *shrug*.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#2]
So $50-$100 an hour is pretty much the spectrum?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So $50-$100 an hour is pretty much the spectrum?

Those were random numbers. You might get a newbie who'll work for $30/hr, and you might get a pro who's work breaks down to $300/hr.

Graphic design is an esoteric, subjective thing. You are paying for experience and creativity, a couple of difficult-to-quantify elements that you can only determine for yourself - as an prospective client - by reviewing their portfolio. Even if they don't have something that's right up your alley, you can see how flexible they are (or aren't).

The designer should be able to tell you a price range up front. Get an estimate in writing (if you're not dealing with me ). If they go over that and try to bill you more, you can always say "Hey, you said $XXX - that's all I'm paying, and that's only when you've completed the task."

PM or email me if you'd like to talk more. edit: Prefer email ... I don't have access to IM via jobrelatedstuff...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#4]
It's all relative to who's doing it. What their time is worth, how busy they are, how fast you need it, what your budget is, etc. For something like that I'de charge about $500 flat no matter how long it took, etc.

I'm a designer/developer, and I think people who charge by the hour are retarded, they can 'say' they spent oh-so-much time on it when it really only took them an hour or two. As a designer, i can tell you, sometimes you sit and stare at the screen for hours and never get any ideas; other days I can design a whole website proof in under 60 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The guy I've been in contact with told me "$500, $800 tops" (obviously not a contract, but a quote via email), but indicated that if things went smoothly (I didn't bitch too much and make him redo stuff several times) it may be less.  He does good work, and I know him personally.  I just wasn't expecting it to be that much, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#6]
That is cheap, I would charge you more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's all relative to who's doing it. What their time is worth, how busy they are, how fast you need it, what your budget is, etc. For something like that I'de charge about $500 flat no matter how long it took, etc.

I'm a designer/developer, and I think people who charge by the hour are retarded, they can 'say' they spent oh-so-much time on it when it really only took them an hour or two. As a designer, i can tell you, sometimes you sit and stare at the screen for hours and never get any ideas; other days I can design a whole website proof in under 60 minutes.

You raise a good point... About the hourly rate. I rarely work under a true hourly rate, but what I do, is estimate how much time I anticipate a project taking and then multiply by my rate.

I've had my fill of clients (not Arfcommers) who ensure I make no money so I generally stipulate that if the job takes longer than it should (on the client's end), we go to an hourly rate. I think that has the effect of focusing them. I want the client to be happy, but I have to make money at this or it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
...or, you can go post it at a freelance mill and get it done for under $100 by some designers from India or the Phillipines.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a creative director working in the marketing department a global corporation. I lead a national team of graphic designers and oversee everything from simple ad resizes to fully integrated, multi-channel marketing campaigns.

For the project you described, my freelance fee would be $1,500 for the following:

1) Three logo concepts + 2 revisions on a chosen concept
2) Layout of the card
3) Layout of the webpages (no flash or fancy coding)

Anything above that would be the flat rate of $75/hr.

As mentioned - you can get cheap student work, entry-level work or someone more professional. It's all about your budget and what's important to you.

I always tell my client's that their logo is like the face of their company. A poorly designed logo will certainly show that (if you don't believe me, Google "MEGAFLICKS"). A well designed logo should be visually appealing, connect with customers and be memorable. I can mention"golden arches" and not have to tell you what company it is.

ETA - His price is good. $500 - $800 is not high at all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife just had a logo made for her side business, $39 with unlimited revisions and stationery.

I'm amateur web-designer myself, just do odd jobs here and there so I don't forget what little I know and just charge like $100.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...or, you can go post it at a freelance mill and get it done for under $100 by some designers from India or the Phillipines.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm a creative director working in the marketing department a global corporation.
snip

O RLY!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
A logo should be anywhere from $150 to $250 ont he cheap. I have seen professional branding graphics going for 4k.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Everyone's rate is different...

I'd charge around $450 - $500 or more for this (low end = great input up front and minimal changes, high end = me guessing and taking stabs in the dark...)

This is a good deal and I would consider it if I were you.

A few years ago my company paid over 3 grand for what you are asking for. Granted the service was great and the details were amazing. I think we received over 30 files in every type available along with guidelines on what to use when.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a creative director working in the marketing department a global corporation. I lead a national team of graphic designers and oversee everything from simple ad resizes to fully integrated, multi-channel marketing campaigns.

If I had to guess, I'd say you do stuff for outfits like Nabisco, GM, and S.C. Johnson.  I'm afraid I'm not anywhere close to requiring that level just yet.

Megaflicks is pretty funny, I'll be sure to look out for that kind of screw up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We somehow had some stuff done in Pakistan - found a website that looked like it had everything we needed for some promotional stickers. What a freaking joke this was... Shop and home and be happy with the results. Shop aboard and get what you get...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last thread we had here with someone asking about getting some stuff designed - it was recommended they use that site where designers do the design and the buyer chooses which on they want.  I think it was this one.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

For the project you described, my freelance fee would be $1,500 for the following:

2) Layout of the card

As mentioned - you can get cheap student work, entry-level work or someone more professional. It's all about your budget and what's important to you.

I always tell my client's that their logo is like the face of their company. A poorly designed logo will certainly show that (if you don't believe me, Google "MEGAFLICKS"). A well designed logo should be visually appealing, connect with customers and be memorable. I can mention"golden arches" and not have to tell you what company it is.

This is about where I sit as well for my freelance work...Good post

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd charge around $400-$450, if its straight forward and you know what you want.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The last thread we had here with someone asking about getting some stuff designed - it was recommended they use that site where designers do the design and the buyer chooses which on they want.  I think it was this one.  

I clearly was not part of that thread...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems to be the trend for design work.  Why pay me $400 when you can hire someone for $100 and get a screen shot of them working away at your design every 8 minutes?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Y'all are expensive. I'd charge $400 max.

Then again, it takes me about 1.5x the amount of time it takes a very skilled person.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It seems to be the trend for design work.  Why pay me $400 when you can hire someone for $100 and get a screen shot of them working away at your design every 8 minutes?  [/div]

You'll all be back...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems to be the trend for design work.  Why pay me $400 when you can hire someone for $100 and get a screen shot of them working away at your design every 8 minutes?  

Because anybody with real skill and creativity would refuse to work like that. You have to decide if you want a generic logo that's churned out like an assembly line or something that's going to be unique, recognizable and fitting your particular business.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because anybody with real skill and creativity would refuse to work like that. You have to decide if you want a generic logo that's churned out like an assembly line or something that's going to be unique, recognizable and fitting your particular business.

Well said!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said!

Hmm.  I disagree.

Just because a designer is in India doesn't mean they aren't skilled and have no creativity.  It just means they can afford to charge a whole lot less than I can...and still be making great money for their area.

Global Marketplace.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said!

Hmm.  I disagree.  

Just because a designer is in India doesn't mean they aren't skilled and have no creativity.  It just means they can afford to charge a whole lot less than I can...and still be making great money for their area.

Global Marketplace.

Regardless of where the guy is, that work flow isn't conducive to creativity. That guy isn't going to put a lot of thought into your design he needs to get another 20 done. That may be fine for you if you're in a commodity type of industry. Take gas stations for instance, they're largely all the same to a consumer, they're driven by location and price. That's why they can all have anonymous sounding names like Quickmart, Fast Mart, Super Mart, Super Fast Mart, Fast Quickmart, and on and on. Identity doesn't matter much when you sell a commodity. But say you have a more specialized type of business, handmade furniture, custom knives, or something like that. You want a unique identity for your customers to identify you with. A good designer is going to do some research into your industry first. There are numerous things to consider. What type of business. He'll make sure to avoid anything similar to your competition. The name of the business. How long it has been around. You may want to emphasize your longevity by choosing an old style typeface. Maybe you make a new and innovative product, something clean and bold, and modern would be better. He'll consider the individual letters in your name. If your business name starts with a Q, he'll look for a typeface with a particularly nice curl. These aren't things that the cut rate designer cares about.  

Most importantly, you don't want to buy something generic with the intention of upgrading later. You'll be throwing away any brand recognition you have built up away

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said!

Hmm.  I disagree.  

Global Marketplace.

Regardless of where the guy is, that work flow isn't conducive to creativity. That guy isn't going to put a lot of thought into your design he needs to get another 20 done. That may be fine for you if you're in a commodity type of industry. Take gas stations for instance, they're largely all the same to a consumer, they're driven by location and price. That's why they can all have anonymous sounding names like Quickmart, Fast Mart, Super Mart, Super Fast Mart, Fast Quickmart, and on and on. Identity doesn't matter much when you sell a commodity. But say you have a more specialized type of business, handmade furniture, custom knives, or something like that. You want a unique identity for your customers to identify you with. A good designer is going to do some research into your industry first. There are numerous things to consider. What type of business. He'll make sure to avoid anything similar to your competition. The name of the business. How long it has been around. You may want to emphasize your longevity by choosing an old style typeface. Maybe you make a new and innovative product, something clean and bold, and modern would be better. He'll consider the individual letters in your name. If your business name starts with a Q, he'll look for a typeface with a particularly nice curl. These aren't things that the cut rate designer cares about.  

Most importantly, you don't want to buy something generic with the intention of upgrading later. You'll be throwing away any brand recognition you have built up away

No.  You misunderstand how this works.  He doesn't need to get another 20 done.  He can afford to do only a few a month since his cost of living is so much less than mine.  So, he's able to vastly undercut me in price, and that doesn't mean that the end product will be crap.

Are there mills out there pumping out generic logos?  Yeah.  But that isn't what I'm talking about here.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not going overseas for this.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm not going overseas for this.

Go here, name your price, people compete. http://99designs.com/

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said!

Hmm.  I disagree.  

Global Marketplace.

The cultural divide is an issue. Also the time difference.

As we have seen, outsourcing things isn't always the best answer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The cultural divide is an issue. Also the time difference.

As we have seen, outsourcing things isn't always the best answer.

I agree.  The only reason I know about all this:  My company recently changed everyone over to 1099 status.  And they now pay us via one of those freelance sites for the convenience since my group is scattered all over the globe.  We don't use all the tracking software, we just use the timesheets.

But, I've gotten to see how those sites work, and some of the results.  Mixed, as you can imagine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Oops, double post
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#34]
For the website, find a free template on-line that you like, and read through one of the HTML tutorials.  That's what I did and it looks quite professional.  The only thing I had to do was to keep the template designer's name on the bottom.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:

2) Layout of the card

This is about where I sit as well for my freelance work...Good post

Ditto the above.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top