Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2013 7:58:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2013 8:37:25 AM EST by buckmaw]
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=372_1382701143

Rare Pacific war combat clips. Took quite a few days to gather and compile. Done my best to order it in a rough chronological order.
interesting clips ...

1.25 - Direct mortar strike or landmine detonation on foot patrol.
2.36 - Dead soldier with massive forehead wound.
2.46 - Distraught Marine.
4.36 - Caught in barbed wire and machine gunned.
7.06 - Intense tracer action during a beach landing.
7.17 - Direct hit on landing craft.
8.04 - Flame thrower with what appears to be legs kicking up in the air?
8.15 - Bombing Peleliu's infamous volcanic hills.
8.37 - Two Japanese soldiers narrowly escape strafing run.

Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=372_1...C2RcUMEY4LS.99

EDIT: For the sake of clarification, I did not produce this fine piece of history. I hit the quote box but it didnt take.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:06:03 AM EST
Thanks for taking time to compile this footage. Looks like some good Australian footage in there also.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:12:57 AM EST
Great vid.

And fuck jungles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:14:17 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
Great vid.

And fuck jungles.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. That has to be the worst shit ever.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:21:11 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:24:42 AM EST
Thanks for posting that,OP. Those men died on the beach in order to preserve the republic for a few more years. It's a shame that we've let them down recently.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:29:12 AM EST
Thanks OP, I could watch this all day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:32:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2013 8:34:52 AM EST by WyattEarp]
That is some real humbling & eye opening footage. Not to take anything away from our current war fighters or even those who fought in the European theatre, Vietnam & Korea. But I always (maybe I'm wrong) think of the war in the Pacific as being the harshest & bloodiest war in our history.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:33:30 AM EST
Thanks for posting that OP.
Freedom is not free
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:34:32 AM EST
Where's the rest of it at?
The guy at 2:15 with the 30cal beltfed knows how to party
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:34:52 AM EST
Amazing footage!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:35:17 AM EST
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:36:54 AM EST
Thanks OP.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to leave your family and friends behind to fight in these conditions for years knowing you're only going home wounded or when the war is over...

A great generation of Americans. Tough as nails...

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:40:36 AM EST
There were three sides in the Pacific and Burma.

The Allies, the Japanese, and the jungle.

In the end, the jungle won.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:44:18 AM EST
Thanks for the upload. Crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:48:41 AM EST
I had 1 relative in ETO and many (I don't know how many in PTO).

Several of the PTO vets could never cope with life afterwards. One cousin (From what my uncle, the ETO vet has told me) was the recipient of a banzai attack during some south-asian island hopping campaign. His entire squad was killed with the exception of him, the only way he lived after being wounded was to hide under the body of several of his friends for several DAYS, waiting for the marines to push the Japanese back. In 5 days he lost most of his hair, and it turned snow white.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:50:22 AM EST
My Father saw action on Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian and Okinawa. I get choked up every time I see WWII footage of Marines in action on those islands. I often wonder if he is one of the Marines in the films that cannot be distinguished due to the action.
Been 5 years since he passed and I miss him every single day.
The memories of those actions never kept him from leading a full life. He talked about it to us as if it had just happened the day before.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:50:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:
Thanks OP.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to leave your family and friends behind to fight in these conditions for years knowing you're only going home wounded or when the war is over...

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:56:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By Shockergd:
I had 1 relative in ETO and many (I don't know how many in PTO).

Several of the PTO vets could never cope with life afterwards. One cousin (From what my uncle, the ETO vet has told me) was the recipient of a banzai attack during some south-asian island hopping campaign. His entire squad was killed with the exception of him, the only way he lived after being wounded was to hide under the body of several of his friends for several DAYS, waiting for the marines to push the Japanese back. In 5 days he lost most of his hair, and it turned snow white.
View Quote

My dad was caught up in those Banzai attacks. He and his 105mm Howitzer crew were firing point blank into the Japanese formations. He was nominated for the Silver Star, but never received it.
One of his best buddies was this guy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_C._Agerholm

Private First Class Harold Christ Agerholm, USMCR (January 29, 1925 – July 7, 1944) served as a Marine during World War II. He received the Medal of Honor posthumously for his actions while engaged with Japanese forces on Saipan in the Marianas Islands.

Agerholm received his recruit training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, California. Upon completion of his training he was assigned to Headquarters and Service Battery, 4th Battalion, 10th Marines, 2nd Marine Division.

He was in the same engagement that Agerholm was killed. My Father had seen him just before he was killed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:02:22 AM EST
Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:03:58 AM EST
We can not thank our veterans enough for enduring such extreme hardships to keep this country free!
We are losing so many of them each day take time to say thank you every chance you get!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:05:04 AM EST
Yeah, guy at 2:16 went full Predator!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:06:25 AM EST
Although that footage is very stark, I doubt that portrays more than a small fraction of the actual horror.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:09:00 AM EST
Easy to believe how many of those guys were all PTSD'd out, and some were in combat for years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:10:53 AM EST
thank you very much for that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:15:43 AM EST
Great vid.

View Quote

And fuck jungles.
+1, Thanks for taking the time, I thought it was well done.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:20:42 AM EST
Tag for later. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:28:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By warkittens:
Thanks for posting that,OP. Those men died on the beach in order to preserve the republic for a few more years. It's a shame that we've let them down recently.
View Quote

Sorry, Jim. It officially died May 31, 1913.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:33:47 AM EST
I don't get the fascination with this. I have zero interest in seeing this. I used to before, not to gawk but to just see history and wonder what they were doing or thinking. Now, I know what I was thinking and it's nothing good. Just be respectful with this stuff. Don't watch it and gawk with some morbid fascination. These guys had real lives, families, dreams and feelings. Opinion over.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:35:50 AM EST
God bless those men. My granddad fought in the PTO. He didn't hardly ever talk about it, but I know it affected him greatly. I'm so thankful that he was able to cope decently well.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:37:42 AM EST
tag
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:49:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By timthemedic:
God bless those men. My granddad fought in the PTO. He didn't hardly ever talk about it, but I know it affected him greatly. I'm so thankful that he was able to cope decently well.

View Quote
X2
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:54:59 AM EST
Thanks OP
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:04:15 AM EST
Hardcore. Parts of it looks like Vietnam footage.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:22:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By ReconB4:
I don't get the fascination with this. I have zero interest in seeing this. I used to before, not to gawk but to just see history and wonder what they were doing or thinking. Now, I know what I was thinking and it's nothing good. Just be respectful with this stuff. Don't watch it and gawk with some morbid fascination. These guys had real lives, families, dreams and feelings. Opinion over.
View Quote

It gives you just a tiny sense of what these men fought through, and as such affirms your appreciation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:37:17 AM EST
Great footage. I recognize some of it from "Victory at Sea" but a lot of it was new to me. In the old days before there was football on Sunday afternoons my Dad (ETO vet) and me would watch Victory at Sea every week. My Uncle was USMC and saw lots of action in the Pacific. The greatest generation without a doubt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:49:08 AM EST
some of that is tarawa i believe ive seen soem of that footage before but there was some new footage i havent seen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:04:05 AM EST
God bless those men. What a hell that was....
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:05:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:08:07 AM EST
View Quote

Watch it. Remember.

If we forget, it will happen again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:10:09 AM EST
I worked with a WWII veteran in the 1980's who was an equipment operator building airfields in the pacific theater. He told me about being strafed by Japanese planes trying to complete an airfield early in the war.

The one thing you never think about (anymore) as an American is fighting a peer capable opponent with a capable air force/naval aviation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:19:16 AM EST
My stepdad was Navy and was aboard the USS St. Lo at Leyte Gulf when she got kamakazied. He told me some stories about that day, including trying to raft up with the survivors and some being bitten by sharks, suicides, and being strafed by japanese fighters.

My generation had it real easy compared to that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:22:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By bamaflinger:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bamaflinger:
Great vid.

And fuck jungles.

I'll never forget my grandfather telling me to keep my boots on if I was ever in a jungle and never let my bare feet tough the ground. If you need to change socks, he said, you set up on a fallen log or something and keep you feet from touching the earth....if not, you WILL get worms.

Considering he fought through a large part of the Pacific conflict....I figured he wasn't kidding.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:23:20 AM EST
Nice ! Thanks for sharing !
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:32:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:
Thanks OP.

View Quote

Yes very true
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:35:24 AM EST
View Quote

I understand. It's not gawking or morbid curiosity. For myself, it is a stark reminder of what many people have done and gone through for this nation. It is a sense of appreciation and compassion for those who have suffered.

It also drives home the level treason, the degree of betrayal to these men, being engaged in by the Government and anyone else participating in the destruction of the Republic. Sad that so many gave so much so that we could become what we are today.

Thank you and God Bless our vets.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:36:40 AM EST
Damn, AA rounds coming straight at you at 909 as they take on that boat
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:40:50 AM EST
View Quote

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we would grow too fond of it. -- Robert E. Lee
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:41:49 AM EST
Many of the combat units got dumped into landing after landing and the the guys who survived that hell came back and for the most part lead full productive lives with their families never talking about the stuff they went through . Ask them about it and they put you off saying the real heros never came back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:47:40 AM EST
Somehow, my thanks is not enough for what those brave men and women went through.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:00:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2013 12:01:38 PM EST by Spade]
1:50 -m1 carbine with a bayonet?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top