Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 7:09:00 PM EDT
True Story that happened long before I was born,

It was the Christmas Eve of 1922, and Grandma had finshed her baking earlier in the day, the boys (my Uncle & Dad) and Grandpa had just came back from handing out gifts to neighbor's. Supper was was coming off the stove as they walked in the house.

It was baked ham and all the trimings just like the hams that Grandpa gave out with Grandma's pies, cookies and her bourbon balls that she had made since she was a kid helping her mom.

After Supper dishes were cleaned and put away, it was time to for the kids start on the cookies and such. The kids where talking about the cookies and what they might get from Santa.

Grandpa opened the tin on the bourbon balls and plopped one in his mouth....his head started to cock to one side and one eye started to close, then his head started to bob a little.

Grandpa gasped and try speak but nothing came out, he made it across the room to his chair and flppped down in it.

Grandma rushed to him and called for the kids to get some water, hurry Daddy is having a stroke, the first words to come to his lips were Saddle....Horses.....then a deep gasp for air.

The boys jumped to grab there coats as it was a five mile ride to the Doctors house. thier sisters helped care for Grandpa, Coats half on and running to the barn in a falling snow.

Just as they started to pull the cinch straps,
the barn doors opened and there stood Grandpa.

"Saddle my horse!" He shouted. The boys looked in amasement as he walked across the barn, "We have to warn the neighbors!"

My Uncle told him he can't ride cause he just had a stroke, Grandpa as he reached for his halter hanging on a peg said "stroke hell, I thought I was gona die, now get me my horse".

The boys stood in shock, they had just watch thier Dad have a stroke and now he is going to ride to the neighbors? "Grandpa shouted Hurry times a wasting"

They bolted to the stall door and slid the bar, then backed His horse out. As they was bringing it up to him...... He said "Ma got into the wrong jug here in the barn, she poured from the stuff your Uncle Emmitt came in with last week, Hell it's not cut yet, that double and twisted stuff will make a young'n keel over dead"

As they rode past the house and out into night, Grandma was on the porch shouting "Hurry, Hurry.

This came to mind we made Grandma's Bourbon Balls tonight.

For those that don't know what Doubled and Twisted means,,,,,,,,,, After the first run from a still, the run is done again coming out about as pure as can be, to be cut later to 80-90 proof for sipping.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:39:19 PM EDT
So what happened afterwards?  Any one eat them that shouldn't have?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:42:37 PM EDT
Are you sure it wasnt brownies?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:47:26 PM EDT
Neat story......Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:19:12 PM EDT
There was two other strokes that night and a 15 year old that was on his lips because he got into them when his folks went to next farm to pass out some gifts.

The whole town asked Grandma for the recipe after church that Sunday, which was said to have been about sharing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/24/2003 10:01:35 PM EDT by Skibane]
This came to mind we made Grandma's Bourbon Balls tonight.
View Quote

These wouldn't be the world-famous Schweaty Balls, would they, perchance?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:26:48 PM EDT
[LOLabove]

HaaHhaaaaa,

I'm not giong to pour Bourbon on my Schweaty Balls.

But a few of these will get your BAC up real quick.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:28:59 PM EDT
[rolleyes]

May no one in your family ever actually suffer a stroke.
Top Top