Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 3:54:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/9/2009 7:21:08 PM EST by Bunnyassassin]
I wont say what the ending is, but why would you end it like that? That ending made me so mad, i felt like i wasted two hours.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:57:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By HollowPoint40:
I wont say what the ending is, but why would you end it like that? That ending made me so mad, i felt like i wasted two hours.
To finally get the locals to talk and take back their neighborhood.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:03:57 PM EST
Not familiar with a martyr, are you? Also, the movie was realistic...a 70 something year old whacking 10 gangsters is not realistic.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:04:47 PM EST

John 15:13: Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

He's dying, and knows he's dying. He knows he can't take all of them out in a gun fight, but he can get them all arrested and convicted for both the rape and his murder.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:07:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

John 15:13: Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

He's dying, and knows he's dying. He knows he can't take all of them out in a gun fight, but he can get them all arrested and convicted for both the rape and his murder.

That plus he's seeking redemption and a way to be with his wife again. Also he knew that the kid would never break out of that negative lifestyle if he went over there and shot all the bangers up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:08:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By PBIR:
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

That plus he's seeking redemption and a way to be with his wife again. Also he knew that the kid would never break out of that negative lifestyle if he went over there and shot all the bangers up.

I agree with both of you guys.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:10:18 PM EST
He went to their house. He wanted them gone. If he lost a shootout, they probably would have gotten off on self defense.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:34:29 PM EST
What'd you expect Clint Eastwood to whip out the Dirty Harry gun and make all their days?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:37:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ares337:
What'd you expect Clint Eastwood to whip out the Dirty Harry gun and make all their days?

Nahhhhh.....GySgt Highway goes and unfucks that cluster
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:57:46 PM EST
gt was badass.

time for a pabst blue ribbon
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:21:20 PM EST
Just finished watching it with the family, its an Amazing movie.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:35:21 PM EST
Im not going to lie i wish that he would have taken a few with him...
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:20:11 PM EST
It's the only ending that the movie could have had. It's done proper.

I would encourage you to expand your scope a little, and enjoy movies that don't have plain old Hollywood endings.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:01:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/9/2009 10:02:10 PM EST by Col__Kurtz]
Im not going to lie i wish that he would have taken a few with him...

He did take all of them with him... In a sense...
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:13:39 PM EST
also, you can add the angle that he is trying to "make things right" for the misdeeds he had done in his previous life experiences..

Excellent movie
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:16:35 PM EST
"yum yum" and pbr beer ftw
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:27:54 PM EST
He actually intended tog over there and whack some assess. His initial plan, however, had to be revised when he discovered that Wally World was out of ammo. So he went with plan B
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:55:28 AM EST
that don't have plain old Hollywood endings.

See i think that was the typical hollywood ending.

Well if walmart had 308 maybe he would have squared those guys away.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:59:18 AM EST
Well if walmart had 308 maybe he would have squared those guys away.

You mean .30-06? He had a Garand.

Anyway, the ending was fine. He had cancer, he chose to die honorably for something rather than wither away. Seems good to me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:45:48 AM EST
You mean .30-06? He had a Garand.

Anyway, the ending was fine. He had cancer, he chose to die honorably for something rather than wither away. Seems good to me.

Woops on the ammo, i will do pushups. Well i guess no one agrees with me on this one but those kids made me so mad in the movie i was hoping more would have happened then just the cops coming.

To me they did a great job of showing what a lot of our youth is today, like the white guy that was walking in the wrong part of town and the "gangsters" in the white wannabe racecar. I feel like its so cool now a days to be a tough guy, and ill you have to do for it is just dress a certain way and act a certain way, pathetic.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:38:43 PM EST
ending wasn't what i expected, but it alright.... of course, i woulda preferred he went in there like audi murphy...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:32:10 AM EST
great movie
points out whats wrong in alot of neighborhoods too.

the ending was a modern civilian version of unforgiven, the title for this could have been "finally forgiven"
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:24:25 AM EST
Great movie and sad yet great ending.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:56:13 AM EST
I think Im gonna watch it again today.. damn I thought it was sad though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:58:13 AM EST
I think it was atonement for his past sins. The young man he talks about killing earlier when he was in Korea had his future taken from him at Kowalski's hands. Now Kowalski has given Toad his future. In fact, in the scene where Kowalski was on his porch smoking and the gang drove by he actually says something along the lines of "kid's got no future here, does he?"

I hope Eastwood has a few more like this in him. Not necessarily acting, cause I think he said he's done with that now, but certainly I'd like to see him direct more.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:58:38 PM EST
I was hoping he would go in and just blast away, but glad at how he handled it...
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:41:36 AM EST
I loved the ending. The whole time leading up to it I was thinking "Great, now a single old man with a surplus Garand and a 1911 is going to kill all 10 guys with Uzis ". I was definitely surprised.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:25:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By InjunJoe:
I loved the ending. The whole time leading up to it I was thinking "Great, now a single old man with a surplus Garand and a 1911 is going to kill all 10 guys with Uzis "..

He could have ya know.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:21:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hebrew_Battle_Rifle:
Originally Posted By InjunJoe:
I loved the ending. The whole time leading up to it I was thinking "Great, now a single old man with a surplus Garand and a 1911 is going to kill all 10 guys with Uzis "..

He could have ya know.

Yea i think even at his age his tactics would have got some of them. The thugs just had no weapons, no training.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:05:33 PM EST
Unexpected ending but I enjoyed it.
And surprisingly, Gran Torino was one of Clint's best opening weekend movies.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:32:55 PM EST
Great Fucking Movie.

He use racial epithets that I thought were just my own.

Excellent writing, acting and production.

Eastwood played an old Korea era Gunny Highway.

Really liked the film
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:22:06 PM EST
Why the ending?

Because Clint Eastwood finishes things.

Clint was a dead man anyways. He had cancer and was going to die. His wife was already gone. If he had gone and shot those punks one of them might have got him before he could finish them all. The way he fixed it none of them were going to get away and they'd all go down or at least stay in prison long enough to keep off the neighbor kid's case.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:27:04 PM EST
There were some hilarious lines in that flick. It had our whole group rolling!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:11:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By ToyCop:

To finally get the locals to talk and take back their neighborhood.

plus he probably didn't want to waste away dying from cancer
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:10:11 PM EST
Watched it last night. Best ending ever.

One of Eastwood's best movies-in front of the camera or behind it.

Best line: "What's with all this bro shit?"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:37 PM EST
One of the better movies I have watched in awhile. Good from beginning to end.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:49:15 AM EST
it was entertaining but overall it was overrated based on all the talk in my opinion. I hadn't read any of the topics before because of possible spoilers, but in all that someone else must have mentioned before how it's really nothing more than a modern remake of john wayne's movie "the shootist".
Very few movies outside are much original plots anymore, there simply isn't much that hasn't been done.
Top Top