Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 5:53:32 PM EDT
Anybody else go to Graf while stationed in Germany? Remember the tank ranges and nifty tank graveyard with all the old German, French, and American tanks in it? Camp Normandy was a muddy mess, but it was a lot of fun for an 18 year old private in an artillery unit!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yea! How can I forget Graf! Two or three times a year there! I was aviation so we spent a lot of time at 301 FARP. Used to walk off the range to a little town called Kirchenthumbach to get some Weizens at the gasthaus!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh hell yeah, 19 year old from Alabama.Got to my unit,c co 1/13 Armor.Went to Graft two weeks later.I've never been so cold.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh yea! How can I forget Graf! Two or three times a year there! I was aviation so we spent a lot of time at 301 FARP. Used to walk off the range to a little town called Kirchenthumbach to get some Weizens at the gasthaus!

We used to go to a gasthaus in Vilseck and eat schnitzel and drink dunkle brau! Yum!!!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Oh hell yeah, 19 year old from Alabama.Got to my unit,c co 1/13 Armor.Went to Graft two weeks later.I've never been so cold.

When I got to Illesheim in 1985 I believe we had a 1/13 Armor there..........was that you?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
ME TOO!

Quoted:

Quoted:

We used to go to a gasthaus in Vilseck and eat schnitzel and drink dunkle brau! Yum!!!  

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep,that was the place.I was their from Jan 75 to Jan 79. gunner on a M-60 A1.Was Clairs still their?The little Guast House Just out the front gate?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Graf = Mud and dust, all in the same day!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah, and lets not forget Hohenfels, Germany.  What a Shithole!!!!!! By the way I was in Baumholder for 3 years 1995-1998, yet another shithole to add to the list.
The only thing it had going for it was that it was close to K-town and Frankfurt
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
[spellingnazi]You mean Grafenwohr, I assume.[/spellingnazi]

'94 and '95, 3ID 3/4 Cav.

Always liked gunnery better than maneuver, too.  At least at Graf you could hit the base for some pogeybait.  Hohenfels was really bad......
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ah, and lets not forget Hohenfels, Germany.  What a Shithole!!!!!!

No Wildfleckin was a shit hole. I was there for 3 years!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Wildfleckin was a shit hole. I was there for 3 years!

3Years??????? Crap I was happy to get outta there after 18 months. I was there from dec 83 to june 85. Went to Graf/ Hohenfels one time for 30 fun filled days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Why was 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division known as the Winter Brigade?

Because our rotation was ALWAYS in the winter    
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Ahh, yes.  My whole basic training company went  from Ft. Knox to Germany, and about a week later I was in Graf.

3ID 2/64 Armor, right next door to 3/4 Cav. 92-93.  I think I went to Graf 4 or 5 times, Hohenfels 3 or 4 times.  

My best memories from the army are from the live fire ranges at Graf, and driving cross-country at Hohenfels.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Was Clairs still their?The little Guast House Just out the front gate?

Yep, Clairs was still there by the Illesheim Bahnhof in 85, but that place opened and closed so many times under different names and management! LOL!!! It ended up with the nickname "The Stab and Jab". If I remember right a grunt from 1/6 Inf stabbed a guy out front, hence the name!

I spent a lot of time at Pinos and at the gasthaus down the street on the corner of B13 where you turn to go to Bad Windsheim, I forget the name at the moment.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
[spellingnazi]You mean Grafenwohr, I assume.[/spellingnazi]

'94 and '95, 3ID 3/4 Cav.

Always liked gunnery better than maneuver, too.  At least at Graf you could hit the base for some pogeybait.  Hohenfels was really bad......

You ain't right, neither!

Unless you use a Geman keyboard that has an "umlaut" you can put over that "o". That's the two little dots the Krauts like to put on top of vowels when spelling certain words.

Spelling Nazi my ass!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Fucking Wildchicken...  Anyone else love the hump up the fucking mountain hill from the train station?

Edit...I just realized I'm talking to a bunch of Armor pukes..so please disregard..
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, Clairs was still there by the Illesheim Bahnhof in 85, but that place opened and closed so many times under different names and management! LOL!!! It ended up with the nickname "The Stab and Jab". If I remember right a grunt from 1/6 Inf stabbed a guy out front, hence the name!

I spent a lot of time at Pinos and at the gasthaus down the street on the corner of B13 where you turn to go to Bad Windsheim, I forget the name at the moment.

I was an invol MP at the slime in 96, on a call up from the guard.

It was just as bad then, only most of our problems were with the turks that the german government moved into town near all the officer family housing in Bad Windsheim.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Anybody remember a SFC Forrest?? That was my Dad. He was at Vilseck and was part 7th Armored Training Command. Helped teach tactics and doctrine for the Bradley IFV. We were there from 84-88
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Graf, wild chicken and Baumholder, Yeager schnitzel und wiesen beer!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Graf = Mud and dust, all in the same day!

Graf had the most amazing terrain I have ever seen or felt anywhere! When riding in the back of a duece-n-a-half on tank trails in rainy weather, the mud sprayed up from the wheels kind of floated into the back of the truck and coated you like someone took a can of spray paint to your ass!

In hot weather, the dust was a fine talcum powder that choked the shit out of you!

And you damn sure had to watch out for those big-ass Leopards coming up on you in the dark while driving with black-out headlights on; almost drove right under one in an M151 jeep while going out to an ASP for guard duty. Jerked the wheel just in time and went bouncing through a ditch. When I got the jeep to stop, I looked over and watched as a collumn of Leopards rumbled by. It was a close call, but it was a crowded training area whenever I was there in the 70's.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In hot weather, the dust was a fine talcum powder that choked the shit out of you!

You have just inspired my new avatar  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Edited to add:  If you have a bad internet connection you get a free double-post  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited to add:  If you have a bad internet connection you get a free double-post  

grey fine shitty dust. was there 3 times... grey grey grey in the winter... very depressing.
Once your one the line and shooting, it was good, I qualified Table VIII Bradley gunnery there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#25]
oh fuck yeah....   I was with Quib at that damn FARP.  Lots o fun had there...   :(

The Pig
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
oh fuck yeah....   I was with Quib at that damn FARP.  Lots o fun had there...   :(

The Pig

You miss it an' you know it!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember the name of that gasthaus now...............Gasthaus Dietz! The weizen I'm drinking at the moment must have jarred my memory.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Fucking Wildchicken...  Anyone else love the hump up the fucking mountain hill from the train station?

Edit...I just realized I'm talking to a bunch of Armor pukes..so please disregard..

I still have nightmares about humping that Byotch, with the switchback, and all the stories about "the 113/HETT/M-60/duece that went through the barrier to its doom.  
GOD, and always to a damn live fire at the top, there, on the left about 3 miles from the top.  More ammo and shit than you could shoot, AT-4s......damn.  
Infantry Skills Competion 1991, Cav Cup 1992, Infantry Skills Stakes1993.  

Baumholder was no damn picnic either ladies.  A 3-12 Infantry here, 92-95

Triple Ballbuster anyone??Metropol?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

no kidding, i was stationed there for a couple of years as  permanent OPFOR.
It was so nasty, our barracks had boot washracks!!
we had washracks outside to clean your boots and gear. Cold as hell, 365 days in the field.
we were walking, talking, training aids.
had lots of fun, and got to see what kind of abuse equipment could take.
I  was a scout for C co 1/4 INF.
good ole Hoenfels

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no kidding, i was stationed there for a couple of years as  permanent OPFOR.
It was so nasty, our barracks had boot washracks!!
we had washracks outside to clean your boots and gear. Cold as hell, 365 days in the field.
we were walking, talking, training aids.
had lots of fun, and got to see what kind of abuse equipment could take.
I  was a scout for C co 1/4 INF.
good ole Hoenfels

www.geocities.com/dragon1sg/companypics/levinestuck.jpg

Looks like time to call in recovery. LOL BTDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#31]
gentlemen : did you all just insult my old home of hohenfels  (hohenhells) ??here...first tour 81'-83' 3rd i.d. 1/15th inf....2nd tour 1/4 inf  93'-96' ... vince g. 11b inf....
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh yes...........Hohenfels!

Me behind the control tower at the airfield.

The airfield.

More of the airfield.

The barracks.

ARTEP in MOPP gear.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Graf, wild chicken and Baumholder, Yeager schnitzel und wiesen beer!

Yes those where the days, I was in an Armor support unit that took M110A1's and M109's to Graf as a float vehicle. I was kinda partial to Hefe-Weissen und Kristall Weissen bier
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top