Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 4:14:08 PM EDT
I'm reading this book for our small group/bible study outreach and came across this section and it has me in a theological canundrum sp?

Tell me what you think...

Book:  TELL THE TRUTH by Will Metzger

Chp 8--Grace is only for the powerless

Section:  THREE MYTHS THAT OBSCURE GRACE

"The myth of my inalienable rights.  The COTUS has made famous the phrase "inalienable rights."  The existence of certain rights that all humans possess is a noble idea.  It safeguards the value of human life and liberty from people who would take these away.  Is it true that no one can revoke these and other human rights?  What about the One who made us?  Is it not inherent in the fact that we are not self made and therefore any rights are derived?

We are creatures.  Does it not also follow that God has all rights over his creation?  As our Creator, he hs creation rights (ownership prerogatives) over everyone.  We were made for his purposes.  God does not exist for our walled enclosure that God cannot enter.  He alone is autonomous--a law unto himself.  Whatever he does by definition is right and good; therefore, he can do anything to people that is his 'good pleasure.'  He is supreme.  God is God.  Various people in the express this truth.

In this day of multiple human 'rights', most people wrongly assume that God owes us something--salvation, or at least a chance at salvation.  He shows astonishing favor to many, but he does not have to (this is the essence of grace).  If he were obliged to be gracious, grace would no longer be grace and salvation would be based on human merit rather than being sola gratia.  This is why the doctrine of election is opposed by so many.  It doesn't seem fair to them.  But as soon as we introduce the doctrine of fairness, we introduce a standard of right by which God has to save all or a least give everyone a chance of being saved.  And that is not grace!  If God were motivated only by what is right, without any consideration of grace made possible by the work of Christ, all would be condemned, and all would spend eternity in hell.  Humbled, we celebrate a "Declaration of Dependence," agreeing that we are endowed with alienable (transferred to us from our Creator) rights."

I agree 100% w/ his assessment of our dependence on grace thru the complete work of Christ and that it is all undeserved, but is this a worthy application to make a point in his book?

I have never struggled w/ feeling that God owes me b/c the COTUS says so...I'm just kinda scratching my head at this one...

edit for spellin'
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think maybe he is taking too much latitude with the purpose of the Constitution.  The idea is that the rights of men are not to be violated by other men (or groups like the government).  I don't think it has any intention to protect rights against the supernatural.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The man who wrote that is a Calvinist.  As you can see, there is no BIBLE in there when he speaks of the "elect" or "election."

Calvinism defines those terms without believing what the Bible actually SAYS about them, and then attempts to force their preconceived notions.

As the BIBLE makes clear,  Calvinism is false doctrine:

Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Ro 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)
Joh 1:9 [That] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
Heb 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard [him];
Mt 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
1Ti 1:15 This [is] a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
Ro 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Joh 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
Ro 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think [of himself] more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
Ac 10:34 Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Ac 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.
Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
1Ti 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
Mr 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God.
Joh 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all [men] unto me.
Joh 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
Eze 18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn [yourselves], and live ye.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:
Mt 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!
Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Re 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Re 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Joh 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
1Pe 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once [for all].
Joh 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
1Co 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I [am] of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
Lu 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
Isa 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
Ro 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one [judgment came] upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one [the free gift came] upon all men unto justification of life.
Ro 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top