Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2011 5:14:41 AM EDT
If you have ever wondered what happens to the countless barrels of personal items that the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) confiscates (steals) from air travelers every single day, you might be surprised to know that state governments are now reselling these supposedly "dangerous" items in government surplus stores for extra revenue.

http://www.setyoufreenews.com/2011/06/government-surplus-stores-now-selling.html
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they have been doing this long before TSA came around.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought there was a law about selling stolen goods.  Not only that, if the snowglobes are too dangerous to have on the plane...why are they then safe enough to resell?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Not new.  I remember seeing links years ago to gov't auctions for job lots of nail clippers, misc. scissors, etc.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They have been doing this for years. Back in the old days the security folks just kept the stuff.

Oh, I'll bet any TSA goon who knows good knives has a nice collection at home.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Government Liquidation auctions pallets of this stuff.
Unclaimed Baggage has been selling lost/forgotten traveler property for years and years. Lots of good stuff at good prices.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a government liquidation center by my place.

They have boxes upon boxes of cheap little knives/tools/nail clippers and sharp things for sale at $1 a piece...your choice.

I asked the guy where it all came from, and he said it was stuff that people could not take onto a plane.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#8]
That liquidation site makes me cry....why can't I live in a state that I could buy some brass
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
They were using ebay to do this circa 2002.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They were using ebay to do this circa 2002.

Now people buy the surplus auctions and sell the stuff on ebay in small lots.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
That's why I break, empty, destroy, drink or contaminate everything they take from me at the gestapo check point. Want my bottle of water? Fine, you get a nice big loogie in the bottle too. My less than 3 ounce of hand sanitizer "looks" to big? Fine, I'm emptying it into your barrel of stolen property. Fuck the TSA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Reminds me of "Schindler's List" where the Nazi's were going through all of the left behind belongings after the jews got on the trains.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]
How are these items "stolen" and why is there anything wrong with selling them...?

If you take the time to look there is an list of item that you cannot bring with you, don't look at the list its your fault. Don't bring said items and they will not be "stolen" lol... They may as well sell the goods they take from people. Its a better alternative then throwing them away.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think they have been doing this long before TSA came around.

Occasionally on Ebay you'll see bundles of miscellaneous knives for sale.  I bet these were all airport seizures
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top