Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2001 8:47:50 AM EDT
Hello... I am new to the "new" AR15.com.  Mucho thanks to Goatboy for all the help.

I was wondering if any of you experienced pre-ban AR owners could shed any light on the Colt pre-ban AR's marked "Gov't Carbine."  The serial numbers that I obtained from this site say that GC018500 and below are pre-ban.  I have seen an AR with a serial in this range, and the lower receiver is marked "Gov't Carbine."  Obviously this is not really a gun made by Colt for the government, IMHO.  I mean why would they sell/buy single shot AR's when the M16 can be fired in single shot mode?

So I think the GC guns are just another name that Colt gave to a line of AR's, just like they named some "Sporter."

Does anyone know anything about the order in which GC AR's were produced?  Were they before or after the Sporter models?  When were they produced?  Is there any difference between the GC models and other AR's?  

Any kind of info like that would be appreciated.  I am thinking this gun might be a good one to buy.

Thanks in advance.

ARnSC
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the "Gov't Carbines" are the pre-ban equivalent of the current AR-15's issued to law-enforcement.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Not all Govt Carbines are prebans, anything with serial number above GC018500, is LEO, believe me I found out the hard way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, for the replies.  Garand_Shooter, I am in Lexington, SC about 16 miles west of the Capitol City of Columbia, SC.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]
You are probably right drfcolt.  The serial number list shows that "GC018500 and Below-Pre-Ban.  It doesn't mention anything above that number.  The one I saw was GC015xxx.  In excellent condition too.

Confederate... yikes.. what was "the hard way?"  I hate to think.... ARnSC
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, for the replies.  Garand_Shooter, I am in Lexington, SC about 16 miles west of the Capitol City of Columbia, SC.
View Quote

You a member of Mid Carolina Rifle Club? I can take you for a visit / shoot if you want.I live in the St. Andrews area (Lex Co.)
Scott
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi Scott... Yep, my wife and I are members of MCRC.  But it has been so hot that we haven't been to the range the entire summer!  Goatboy reminded me that we need to shoot more, so we will hopefully get to the range soon.  

You live over across the Lake Murray dam from us.  We are just south of the dam off of Old Cherokee Road.  ARnSC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top