Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 1:10:40 PM EDT
Just got done reading a pretty intersesting book called The Final Mission: Spooky8. To sum it up, it's about this guys involvement with tons of secret missions the USA had him and a team of guys perform between 1973 through 1992, as a civilian though.

Some more interesting things he talked about was stuff like "legal amphetamines"- they would take before a more critical mission, that would allow them to work at 150% for 3 or 4 days without sleep. He could also accept or deny any op as it was offered, with most being intel gathering deals that routinely got hairy.

So this book got me thinking. Why contract out to civies (most of his team had proir mil service though)
if these hush intel missions got hairy? Couldnt our active duty guys get this done w/o the occasional firefight, they are the pros yes? At a national security point of view, would it be more acceptable to have a bunch of gringos with scrubbed weapons and uniforms be caught than say a SEAL Team or whomever, so we could deny any involvement?

And finally, how often does this shit go on? I wonder how many teams there really are, and that are used just for Homeland Security

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
As to why, it's called "Deniability".

The rest, tag
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
TAG.

and

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Shhhhh.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you talking about Mr. and Mrs. Smith? You would never know unless you were actually one of the ppl. Top secret stuff right there.......
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Tom and I learned to scuba dive together and even started our own dive salvage company called B&T Salvage. Even though we never really had a true business, we enjoyed scuba diving and helping friends recover things dropped in the lakes and rivers that the area around my home was renowned for.

maybe he could help find all of our weapons lost in boating accidents???
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]

This stuff goes on far less than you think.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
He's full of shit:

SOCNET Fire Mission on Author

BC
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The First rule about Govt Black Ops teams is...........................................
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm not sure that's possible.

I assume it is almost, if not, nonexistant. But WTF do I know?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this supposed to be fiction or non-fiction
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure that's possible.

I assume it is almost, if not, nonexistant. But WTF do I know?

By "you" I meant people who thought it went on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#14]
It doesn't even sound like it might be true.

Naturally, since these were "black ops" this guy will simply claim that it is too secret for the government to admit to when he the government says that he is full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#15]
The first rule of Gov't Black Ops Teams is...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
He's full of shit:

SOCNET Fire Mission on Author

BC

Thank you ... I am glad you said it first.

Legal Amphetemines are no big deal ... we give them to our pilots on a frequent basis.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I hear every one of those books was sold with a tracking device.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I make and sell jerky.  I also sell a lot of copies of Catcher in the Rye.  

Legal amphetamines are prescription.  Easy for the .gov to do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I read the book several years ago.  It has a disclaimer in the back saying a good part of it was fiction to help the story sell, or maybe that was on his website.  Anyway who knows what goes on in the Government.  I have read several conspiracy stories on the CIA selling and running drugs.  The book reminded me of the John Travolta movie that dealt with Section 8.  I think it was called Basic.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top