Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2014 4:33:39 AM EDT
Can't sleep right now due to the pain. Had my first gout attack in my late 20s. I'm 33 now.  The attack right now is in my wrist and pinky finger joint. Started on Tuesday and hasn't let up.

I've had attacks in my toes, ankles, knees, elbows, hands, you name it. I'm on allopurinol but I stupidly had too much to drink last weekend for my birthday and I think it triggered this attack.

I hope none of you guys ever have to experience it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You and Kim Il-Jong.
I hope you feel better, stay off the demon rum.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Get some indomethacin,  it's for those sudden attacks and it works.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The gouty deposits in your joints are called tophi.  Did you know a tophus can rupture?

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Im 35 and have had gout since I was 19.  I take Cholchisine on a daily basis, and its still a daily stuggle.

Recently, I was told about SODIUM BICARBONATE (arm & hammer) by my wife's coworker...she says that during an attack, she takes 1/2 tsp with a glass of water 3x's a day when she has an attack.

So I tried it, AND IT FRIGGIN WORKED, but tasted terrible.  So googled to see if sodium bicarbonate was available in pill form.  Sure enough it was, and in a pure pharmaceutical grade.

I take 3 pills several times a day with a glass/bottle of water.  It has DEF helped reduce the arthritis that has formed in my knee due to gout, and doesn't make me sick like other gout meds.

Articles online say that 85% of patients that use sodium bicarbonate have favorable results.  I am one of them, and I've tried every goddam voodoo trick to help me fight the gout.

PS~ I only take my Cholchisine when I have a seriously acute attack... Haven't refilled it in MONTHS!!

Hope this helps!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gouty deposits in your joints are called tophi.  Did you know a tophus can rupture?

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Da fuck!?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The disease of kings.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I was just diagnosed a couple months ago. After a few painful flare ups, I learned that drinking water consistently flushes out the uric acids faster. The pain is centralized to my feet and knees which puts me on crutches for about a day and a half on average. If I drink tons of water, it goes away much faster. Eating cherries or pineapple slices helps get rid of uric acid as well.  Unfortunately, shrimp triggers my flare ups which I love.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I've heard drinking cherry juice works too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
add some fresh lemon juice to your drinking water.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#10]
cranberry juice is supposed to help.

Only know that from some discovery channel show a long time ago.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get some indomethacin,  it's for those sudden attacks and it works.
View Quote

This! If you feel it coming on take one of these every 6-8 hours and it's usually better in a day, atleast for me anyways.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
"Rich Man's Disease".......OP obviously has too much money.

Only way to be free of this pain is for you to send me your paycheck for a minimum of 6 months.  If you still experience pain, then we'll go for another six months.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thats what I do.

It actually works, kills the pain quick.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tart cherrys, Tart cherry concentrate, Blueberrys, Cranberrys, Aronia.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Wanna feel real pain. Wait until it flares up in your knee.  It feels like someone working a crow bar under your knee cap. Ask me how I know.

I take Uloric now.  No flare up since then.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Routine blood test found elevated Uric acid levels BEFORE I had any symptoms. Thank God. After 2 months of tart cherry, I was tested again and Uric acid levels were unchanged. KiowaCreekRaiader started me on allopurinol - he says I'll never have gout. I'll find out in a few weeks if it's working.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Black cherry juice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have had it for about 5 years - maybe a little longer but I didn't know what it was.  I have flare-ups in my big toes, feet, ankles, knees and elbows.  Stopped drinking, eating shrimp, eating nuts, etc.  Take  600mg of allopurinol daily and take colchicine and meloxicam for flareups.  Tried indomethacin but it didn't do anything for me.  Also, I eat cherries for breakfast regularly.  And I still have one or two attacks monthly.  I'm having an attack in my left ankle right now that started day before yesterday.  There's nothing I ate that I think could possibly have caused it.

The whole thing is genetic and both my mother and father have it.

I'll have to give the sodium bicarbonate a try!  Thanks!  

ETA:  Quick question.  I've had some doctors say to stop taking the allopurinol when you have an attack (because the allopurinol will supposedly make the attack worse) and other doctors say to continue the allopurinol.  I've found both things on the internet as well.  Can anybody tell what works best?  I've tried to figure it out but haven't been able to determine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#20]
call your doc ask for colcrys.

PREPARE YOUR ANUS!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I had it in a big toe 3 years ago felt like it was broke.  Have it right now in my left knee.  Beer is the problem for me.  If I drink too much of it I will get a flare up.  I have to find something that doesn't cause the flare up alcohol wise
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#22]

I'm honestly not sure, but I think I had it once.

Terrible pain in my foot. Came out of nowhere, and went away within a day.

Never experienced anything like it since.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a medical officer tell me that I lacked Vitamin D from not enough time out in the sun.

So I spent more time in the sun wearing shorts and no shirt, and I'll be damned if it didn't work.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can't sleep right now due to the pain. Had my first gout attack in my late 20s. I'm 33 now.  The attack right now is in my wrist and pinky finger joint. Started on Tuesday and hasn't let up.

I've had attacks in my toes, ankles, knees, elbows, hands, you name it. I'm on allopurinol but I stupidly had too much to drink last weekend for my birthday and I think it triggered this attack.

I hope none of you guys ever have to experience it.
View Quote

Forgot to mention - my doctor gave me some "diclofenac sodium topical gel (1%)" that helps the joint feel better so I can sleep.  It's certainly no miracle cure but can make the difference between sleeping or not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

ETA:  Quick question.  I've had some doctors say to stop taking the allopurinol when you have an attack (because the allopurinol will supposedly make the attack worse) and other doctors say to continue the allopurinol.  I've found both things on the internet as well.  Can anybody tell what works best?  I've tried to figure it out but haven't been able to determine.
View Quote
I used to take it whenever I'd feel a flare up coming but I really don't think that it did any good. It may have made it worse because my flare ups go away faster if I don't take it. Weird but that's how my body is, at least.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#26]
How does one contact this?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was in the hospital for a few days they brought in a guy that has severe gout.
He was in the Navy, he's since been given a medical discharge for gout and gout related issues.

This guy came in around midnight in obvious full-on pain.
He was yelling and delirious.

They had to give him a couple of Demerol shots to put him out and they hooked him up to a Demerol drip / pain med dispenser.

A day later he was lucid, so I asked him WTF was up.

He said he had a severe case of gout.

He had gone drinking with some friends and ended up going over the edge and stayed drunk for a few days.  
He said he ate a bunch of crap food for a few days and that as his gout pain got worse he drank more and ate more crap.
He knew the shit was fucking him up but he kept doing it anyways.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

How does one use Google?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Wait until it progresses to RA, then you will really be having fun!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Heredity  in my case.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How does one use Google?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does one use Google?

I restored to Google.  Looks like I will have to cut out meat, seafood, alcohol, beans, and fruit
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe you should live a more healthy lifestyle.

It's nobody else's fault that you make bad decisions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Call 1 800 My Joints Hurt Yo.

Just kidding, my dad said it was from kissing foreigners on the lips.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#34]
20 year veteran of the Gout!

Cherry and cranberry juice do help, they work by helping filter the uric acid out better.

Figure out which foods trigger your attack. Avoid them in large quantities.

If you have more than 1 flare up a year, then go to your doc and get on alipurinol, which is one of the maintenance drugs.

There are several different drugs to treat a flare up, Colcrys is my preferred weapon of choice.

If you wait for a bad flare up to get the meds, your life will suck an extra day or two, I promise.

Generally I can tell when I am about to have a flare up, approx. 24 hours in advance. I will get a little soreness in one of my joints for no apparent reason. The next day it will be pretty tender, and thats when I get on the colcrys.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
call your doc ask for colcrys.

PREPARE YOUR ANUS!
View Quote

no shit
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Get your doctor to prescribe Allopurinol and Colcrys.

Allopurinol daily will prevent flares if and ONLY IF you take it religiously. Every fucking day regularly.

Colcrys for flares. It is a harsh drug that knocks the hell out of the flares.

Gout is the devil.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Two great uncles, an uncle, my cousins, my baby brother, and I all made bad health choices????

It is a hereditary form of arthritis.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I had a flare up about a year ago. Shrimp seems to be what sets it off for me. I was on Alpurinal and Colcrys until the swelling and pain subsided. 8 oz of Organic cherry juice a day helps.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I had a flare up about a year ago. Shrimp seems to be what sets it off for me. I was on Alpurinal and Colcrys until the swelling and pain subsided. 8 oz of Organic cherry juice a day helps.
View Quote

You might want to stay on allopurinol.

Talk to your doctor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#41]
All i know is that I will NEVER get drunk and eat a 1/2 a bushel of clams on the halfshell. Damn clams and shrimp get me. Im on allopurinol but dont take it regularly as I havnt had an acute attack in 10 years. You sufferers have my sympathy. That shit really hurts

Colcha i e saved me 10 years ago
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Im 35 and have had gout since I was 19.  I take Cholchisine on a daily basis, and its still a daily stuggle.

Recently, I was told about SODIUM BICARBONATE (arm & hammer) by my wife's coworker...she says that during an attack, she takes 1/2 tsp with a glass of water 3x's a day when she has an attack.

So I tried it, AND IT FRIGGIN WORKED, but tasted terrible.  So googled to see if sodium bicarbonate was available in pill form.  Sure enough it was, and in a pure pharmaceutical grade.

I take 3 pills several times a day with a glass/bottle of water.  It has DEF helped reduce the arthritis that has formed in my knee due to gout, and doesn't make me sick like other gout meds.

Articles online say that 85% of patients that use sodium bicarbonate have favorable results.  I am one of them, and I've tried every goddam voodoo trick to help me fight the gout.

PS~ I only take my Cholchisine when I have a seriously acute attack... Haven't refilled it in MONTHS!!

Hope this helps!!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/olzoot/Mobile%20Uploads/20141003_043634_zpsxykddbud.jpg

View Quote

Where do you get that and do you need a prescription?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I can sympathize.............I have flare ups from time to time, mostly in my big toes. The pain is off the charts, but cherry juice does help alot
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Had it in my toe once, that was enough.  What brand of cherry juice are you guys using?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks for letting everyone know that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for letting everyone know that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

It's true that most people inherit gout, but that doesn't mean that personal actions don't aggravate or alleviate it.  OP chose to aggravate it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The disease of kings.
View Quote

Nah, that's horse racing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think the research shows that about 10% of instances of gout are caused by diet.  Over half the instances of gout are caused by genes.

ASSUMING that the OP had a gout flare-up because of "bed decisions" and not living "a healthy lifestyle" is idiotic, and based on completely out-dated and disproven beliefs about gout.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true that most people inherit gout, but that doesn't mean that personal actions don't aggravate or alleviate it.  OP chose to aggravate it.

I think the research shows that about 10% of instances of gout are caused by diet.  Over half the instances of gout are caused by genes.

ASSUMING that the OP had a gout flare-up because of "bed decisions" and not living "a healthy lifestyle" is idiotic, and based on completely out-dated and disproven beliefs about gout.

OP knew he has gout and drank a lot of alcohol, then had a flare-up.  Since it's disproven, please share the research that disproves alcohol has a role in gout flare-ups.

Gout is well-known to be exacerbated by alcohol consumption.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top