Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2006 2:54:15 PM EDT
I'm looking over the 2005 taxes on the house I'm in the process of buying.

State University: $11.67
State School Aid: $77.81
General Schools: $196.52
Community College: $27.84
Rural Elementary School: $299.55
Local High School: $106.03

Taxes For Education: $719.42

Total taxes assessed for the year 2005:  $1,170.88

So 60+% of my taxes go to subsidise other parents spawn going to public schools government indoctrination centers and a measly $450 goes to things like street lights, fire fighters, sheriff, water, road repair, etc...  

<sigh>
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I pay over $5k/yr in property tax but here in TX we do not have a state income tax so I guess it all comes out the same.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
My property taxes are about $1240/year with no state income tax
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No, You're only talking about property taxes. Add o n the other state and federal ripoff like state income tax, state sales tax, automobile licensing and fees, hunting and fishing and other license fees. Fees to breath. Oh my God, it just keeps going on and on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Man I wish I was only paying what you pay, I'm over $3,000.000 per year and thats low here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm looking over the 2005 taxes on the house I'm in the process of buying.

State University: $11.67
State School Aid: $77.81
General Schools: $196.52
Community College: $27.84
Rural Elementary School: $299.55
Local High School: $106.03

Taxes For Education: $719.42

Total taxes assessed for the year 2005:  $1,170.88

So 60+% of my taxes go to subsidise other parents spawn going to public schools government indoctrination centers and a measly $450 goes to things like street lights, fire fighters, sheriff, water, road repair, etc...  

<sigh>

$1,170.88 and you're bitching about it?
Man check your pants and see if you're balls are still there because I think I saw em hanging in front of a pawn shop somewhere.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, it could be a LOT worse.  Not complaining about the AMOUNTS, but how it's being redistributed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't agree with paying for other people's kids to go to school!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yeah, it could be a LOT worse.  Not complaining about the AMOUNTS, but how it's being redistributed.

It probably will be a lot worse.  That's what the seller paid in 2005 with his or her Prop. 13 protection.  Your total property tax will be jacked up to 1% of whatever you pay for the house.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yeah and those damn taxes keep your streets in working order too.
Maybe you don't like the fact other people driving on them LOL
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Would you prefer to pay for them to be on welfare, or pay to have them incarcerated?

I know, I know, you'd rather not pay any of the above.  I think it would be great if everyone took full responsibility for their own kids.

But you and I WILL pay for them one way or another.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Would it be better if there were no funds invested into the local schools;

Yes, fuck the schools and the democrat unions that run them.

Get the politics out of the classroom and I might not mind a SMALL reasonable tax to help pay for them.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Would it be better if there were no funds invested into the local schools; so the youth would be stupider and more inclined to create trouble/problems?  People would see property values plummet and really be ticked off.  

ETA: I have no problem paying these taxes if the money is being used responsibly and appropriately.

I have no problem with paying taxes to finance public schools.
I just want my moneys worth.
For the amount I pay my child should not be going to school where their test results are down in the bottom the score list along with third and fourth world countries.  
Spend the money on teaching kids not on politics, unions, etc.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Would it be better if there were no funds invested into the local schools; so the youth would be stupider and more inclined to create trouble/problems?  People would see property values plummet and really be ticked off.  

ETA: I have no problem paying these taxes if the money is being used responsibly and appropriately.

True.  But it's basically like extorsion making us pay for detention centers to keep kids of the ignorant from hurting us.  

I'm sick of it.  Some people deserve to be killed and stopped from breeding.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Would it be better if there were no funds invested into the local schools; so the youth would be stupider and more inclined to create trouble/problems?

please read this then tell me how in the fuck that part in blue is conceivably possible
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you prefer to pay for them to be on welfare, or pay to have them incarcerated?

I know, I know, you'd rather not pay any of the above.  I think it would be great if everyone took full responsibility for their own kids.

But you and I WILL pay for them one way or another.

if they don't like school, I'd prefer they quit at 16 and go do work the Mexicans are doing
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Take a look at the fraud and waste in the unaccountable school machine.  It is absurd.  Many staff (not faculty) have take home cars, 6 figure salaries, and students don't have books.

It is not just that my money is paying for school BS, it is the uncontrollable waste at all levels.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Own a second home,and see how you get boned. You get to pay full taxes,never use the school system,and have NO say in local millage elections I pay over $6000 a year,so quit yer complainin'.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Own a second home,and see how you get boned. You get to pay full taxes,never use the school system,and have NO say in local millage elections I pay over $6000 a year,so quit yer complainin'.

I would rather pay property taxes then live in a damn apartment. I would be nice to make enough money to own one home. So quite your complaining.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#22]
That ain't shit, here are mine:

$1113.33 County
$1021.40 School Board
$6.36 H2O management
$94.98 Sheriff
$75.00 Fire

$2311.07

I have no kids, I don't plan on having kids, I have more use for the Sheriff's Dept and Fire than for the shitty schools in the area... Our best schools are rated at a "C-".

I was actually not going to pay the school portion, write "by cashing this check you accept...." and see what they did about it.

Just to add, I live in on of the two poorest counties in FL and we have some of the highest taxes in FL. $17.58 per thousand dollars on the appraised values of houses.

Luckily they severely under value many homes.

Our schools seriously suck and our teachers suck.

But Hey ! FEMA just gave the county $6mil to rebuild a friggin fishing bridge that the hurricane destroyed... A fishing bridge !
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Obviously, the school you went to didn't stress spelling...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't care if they raise the taxes, but they DOUBLED mine, and that entire doubled ammount (half of my taxes) is going to schools, which around here are shitty anyhow.  I'm sorry, but with all that $, they should be able to do a better job.  Dump bad performing teachers, Get rid of teaching for test, and actually teach something.  Realize that not all students will suceed, no matter how much $ you throw at them.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
i'm single and i will be paying close to $6k in property taxes!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Would it be better if there were no funds invested into the local schools; so the youth would be stupider and more inclined to create trouble/problems?

please read this then tell me how in the fuck that part in blue is conceivably possible

Imagine how bad it would be if *all* the kids were like those assholes.

Thanks for the article though, now I've got something to show the next person who says "why would anyone need a 30 round magazine?"
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Taxes Total $9,461.80 for the year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would rather pay property taxes then live in a damn apartment. I would be nice to make enough money to own one home. So quite your complaining.

Oh, you're still paiyng property taxes, the landlord passes them along to you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
$331 a year for my proerty tax, and yes I still dont like it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Gee, I don't get a break down of how my tax dollars are allocated.  

All I know is that taxes nullify any ownership in the real sense of the word.  If I don't pay them, they take my property so I must not own it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#31]
try over $2400. also I pay more to homeschool our kids and someone else gets to send their child to publics school. (Which is OK since that means my kids will have an easier time competing in the future :)

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I pay almost $4K a year in property and school taxes and state income tax on top of that.

Ain't NY grand
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#33]
What's most frustrating is that those without kids pay more into the system than those with, considering they get breaks for having them.  So I am shelling out thousands per year for this school system I don't use but THEY are getting the deduction. Go figure.

Of course I think the whole idea of property taxes is antithetical to liberty because you are essentially renting it from the government.  You can never just OWN your land or house, you will ALWAYS pay money to the government to live there.  Total BS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Glad my property tax is only $660.00, for a 4 bedrom, 2 bath house on a 1/4acre lot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I pay around $300 a year for property taxes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

More money does not equal better schools.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell, even if i had kids i wouldn't be spending them to those shitty public schools!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#38]
$6700 a year here in NH, for 2400 sqft, on 1 acre.

But we don't have any income or sales tax, so as long as you don't work out of state, you end up paying alot less than most states in the end.

If you work out of state, you get clobbered with their states income taxes as well.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Mr. Mikejohnson are you a product of private education???  Local tax money DOES go towards private education.

If you are a product of public education think about this:  The citizens of the area where you grew up paid for YOUR education.  

I think that people should learn about the tax system prior to bitching about how much money they pay in property taxes.  

I believe California uses a system similar to Ohio where a per pupil need is calculated and the state pays a percentage and the local population must make up the rest.  In lower income areas the government pays a higher percentage for education and vice versa in higher income areas.

Fla556guy I believe I addressed many of your concerns last week. Look up the post and you may gain some insight as to why schools function as they do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More money does not equal better schools.

I went to catholic schools that had a shoestring budget, excellent education.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Fair enough.... I never realized community and state colleges got part of tax booty. That's BS. Why is tuitiion so high if they're getting money from the state? I figured the profit the colleges make on books alone (by coming out with a new edition every term and making it mandatory to have the new book) would be enough to cover every expense they incur.

Public elementary and high schools I have no problem with... as long as the schools getting the money in my area are getting positive results.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If you are a product of public education think about this:  The citizens of the area where you grew up paid for YOUR education.  

And BOY did they get ripped off! Holy shit what a waste of money. I guess that's par for the union "protect the lazy" course.

The fact that someone went to a government school doesn't mean they can't believe that government should be out of the education business.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Lets see you are in Kalifornaction and you have a bitch about taxes. depending on where you are at that amount could be for a converted garage on a 40 X 40 lot. Your bitch is about how the taxes are spent and you don't have say. Would you like some cheese with your Whine. My kids are grown and out of the house and I still pay. Our system was founded on the community pays for the schools, not just the parents. That is why at one time we had some of the best educated kids in the world,every kid had a chance.
You want a bitch I pay over $500 per year in excise taxes on my car, don't want to pay that you don't get plates. And that is on top of the property taxes that are more then you pay.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Lessee CA Property taxes are capped at 1% unless you are in Mello-Roos districts.  Do your numbers reflects the straight 1% or are you adding in Mello-Roos amounts ?(Mello-Roos districts are created by 2/3rds of the voters approving special assessment districts for specific purposes).  And I'm real happy that I've been here 18 years in this house and I'm still paying based on my purchase price and not the  current value.

Did you just take your total and multiply by a formula from some place to get the totals.  The total applied to education is not surprising, education sucks up a tremendous amount of the state budget and taxes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:05:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
$6700 a year here in NH, for 2400 sqft, on 1 acre.
But we don't have any income or sales tax, so as long as you don't work out of state, you end up paying alot less than most states in the end.
If you work out of state, you get clobbered with their states income taxes as well.

Yeah, my in-laws get hammered with their property taxes... I want to say it's more than that... like $8k.

Live free or die... should be: as long as you're paying your property taxes you won't die.

Despite that I can't wait to move to the New England area. Maybe not NH... those taxes scare the bejeezes out of me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Approx. $3,000 here where I live.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#48]
You people that don't want to pay for public education are worthless POS's. EVERYONE has to give a little. Your parents did it. Their parents did it, and YOU  are doing it. This free society we live in is not FREE OF COSTS. The fact that you have no kids is not even relevant. EVERYONE benefit's from education.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
i'm single and i will be paying close to $6k in property taxes!

What does your marriage status have to do with property tax?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#50]
You are griping about paying $1.7K in CA property taxes? I'm paying $5.6K with Prop 13 protection. Otherwise, I would be paying about $15K.

Schools make your real estate investment worthwile. It is a major factor in the market price of what your house is worth. If that $1.7K is not due to heavy Prop 13 protection, then you better stop griping about paying for other people's kid, and grip about the return on investment of your schools. Improving them will dramatically increase your equity position.

You need to look at it from an investor's viewpoint.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top