Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:18:20 PM EDT
So, I'm sitting outside on lunch break today. I take a swig of my soda and feel a sharp pain at the top rear of my mouth.  I spit it out and it's a damm Yellow Jacket Bee
Don't know if it was an Africanized bee or not but my throat swelled up pretty good and I'm not alleregic to bees( thank God ).
For an extra 1/2 hour after lunch I drank and gargled ice water and waited to see if I would need to go to the hospital or not.
The swelling and the pain have gone away now enough that I can finally eat without it feeling like there is a piece of glass stuck in there.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
A yellow jacket isnt a bee, a yellow jacket is an abortion of nature, which cannot go extinct soon enough.

Unless there is an actual bee called a yellow jacket bee, i dunno.

I feel your pain though, I was stung on the face and shoulders six times today at work.  I fdid find out that the Raid natural clove-scented spray kills em quicker than any other that I have seen though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yellow Jackets are in the wasp family and only honey bees can be Africanized...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That explains why they're such fuckers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
They do seem to find a soda can really fast!  I know a lot of people that this has happened to, and when I see someone set their open can outside, I always warn them.  Yellow Jackets and Wasps are ornery, and sting hard.  Glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been stung in the mouth three or four times.

First time was when I was around 9 or 10.  Can't really remember the circumstances.

Second time was during band camp in high school.  Left an open can of pop sitting on the side of the field.  Took a swig, nearly swallowed 4 bees.  They all stung.

Same thing happened a couple of times on the farm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude thats gotta suck.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Burley said:  .....I'm a bee magnet.

OOOWWWW!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Good reason to be drinking diet coke
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought I was going to read some hilarious, sick story about how your friend sucked the poison out
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Burley said:  .....I'm a bee magnet.

OOOWWWW!!!!

I have been stung quite a few times in my life.  Everything from yellow jackets to hornets to honey bees to bumblebees.

Got stung about 15 times once while running cattle.  Barely bothered me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Kill all wasps and yellowjackets.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, kill them all!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Never been stung by a wasp. Got stung by a bee once. Fucker landed on my throat and stung me without provocation. Little bastards were trying to invade our cabin. We hosed them with poison and they still kept coming in swarms.

We finally got them to go away by soaking a sponge in sugar water and setting it away from the cabin.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always heard in first aid certification classes that if you get stung INSIDE your mouth, you should go to the hospital.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought I was going to read some hilarious, sick story about how your friend sucked the poison out

I work at a speed shop that makes car headers. No girls only guys, so no thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've always heard in first aid certification classes that if you get stung INSIDE your mouth, you should go to the hospital.

Naw if the reaction is not that bad get you a chew of tobacco… seriously an old farmer showed me that trick years ago, if you get stung put chewed tobacco on the sting, it takes that pain right away.

You got to be careful eating in the vicinity of yellow jackets they love to fly in to coke cans and cups with sweet drinks in them. Even seen them crawl in to a sandwich.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naw if the reaction is not that bad get you a chew of tobacco… seriously an old farmer showed me that trick years ago, if you get stung put chewed tobacco on the sting, it takes that pain right away.

You got to be careful eating in the vicinity of yellow jackets they love to fly in to coke cans and cups with sweet drinks in them. Even seen them crawl in to a sandwich.

Well its less about pain than about swelling. Swelling in the vicinity of your airway is usually not a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well its less about pain than about swelling. Swelling in the vicinity of your airway is usually not a good thing.

Did you read the part about if the reaction is not that bad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Good thing you're not allergic. I listened to a 911 tape of a guy calling for help, after being stung by a bee in the back of the mouth or throat. His throat swelled shut before he could get help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Do they die right after they sting or are they the kind that can grow a new stinger?  You should have went ahead and chewed him up before you spit him out just for spite.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you read the part about if the reaction is not that bad.

Well the only way to know how bad it is is to wait and see.

And if you wait and see, and it is bad, then well, that sucks.

See my point?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Do they die right after they sting or are they the kind that can grow a new stinger?  You should have went ahead and chewed him up before you spit him out just for spite.

I spit it out as my first thought was that it was a chunk of metal.
It got stomped good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Well the only way to know how bad it is is to wait and see.

And if you wait and see, and it is bad, then well, that sucks.

See my point?

That was the fun part.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Allergic or not, any sting on the inside of the mouth can be FATAL! Since tissue inside your mouth is more sensitive, it can swell up to the point of suffercation IIRC.
Always suck a lot of ice when you get stung inside the mouth and at minimum let someone closeby know what happend.
You got damn lucky!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Not wasps. A wasp does not lose its stigger and does not die but can zap you over and over.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000,000

Think Yellow Jackets are bad?  Try living near some Cicada Killer Wasps.

Nasty buggers 'bout the size of your thumb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top