Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2005 7:05:38 PM EDT
I'm distantly related to this group of Allens in Virginia. They did some major damage down in Carroll County in 1912.  A father and son were executed for their part in a courthouse massacre that killed the judge, prosecutor, and sheriff.

A follow-up article in the New York Times about the fracas said: "An inspection of the courtroom shows that fully 200 bullets were fired during Thursday's storm of lead. The shooting was at such close range that the bullets in most cases went completely through the victims to lodge in the wood and plaster. Those killed were fairly riddled."

Here's a link:

www.theroanoker.com/favoritearticles/hillsvillemassacre.cfm

I visited Allen property in Hillsville, as well as a museum dedicated to information about the massacre and trial. Very interesting stuff. Also explains a lot about my family.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
got a cousin that shot 2 people while he was a sheriff.

-HS
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm very very distantly related to Micky Mantle if that counts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I always knew you had some badass in ya.  

Whatever badass I have in me is thanks to my grandfather who served in the Marines at Pearl Harbor and Tarawa.  He received the purple heart after a bullet passed throw his right lung at Tarawa.  When his comrads dragged him to safety, he was conscious of his surroundings but could not move or speak.  A doctor examined him and said, "Leave him, he's a dead man."  After he moved on, a medic put sulfa on the entry and exit wound and that's it.  Four kids and a dozen grandkids later, he did pretty well for a dead man.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad and his two brothers were some pretty bad ass motherfuckers when they were young. Well known in Manhattan and Staten Island back in the day..... I know of several shootings my dad was involved in (outside of his time in Vietnam)... One was actually with me in the car when I was like 2 or 3.... over drug money

Lots of stories. First time he shot someone (from what he said) he was 13.  I think with a zip gun. Early 1960's NY gang shit
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have an uncle who earned a combat jump during D-Day.  I also have an uncle who got upset over the neighbor's stereo being too loud.  He entered their home and chopped it up with an axe.  

Extremely badass on both accounts. I've been tempted to do the latter, but have only reached the disconnect point.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]
You could say my mothers side of the family has a "Checkered" history. They were a damn wild bunch during the 1800's. Amos Cummings authored a book titled "Loomis Gang" in 1877 that makes for some wild reading. An original copy still sits in my grandmothers house. I actually grew up in the same "Loomis Mansion" mentioned in the book and the dairy farm is still going strong today. My mother runs the businese now.

Short article taken from the book on my family:
www.borg.com/~wpl/loomis2.htm
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad got shipped off to Pittsburgh to avoid WVA law enforcement after he cut up a group of boys who picked on him.

He told them, "Mess with me on my way home, you'll regret it."

Boy, did they ever. My dad also took a bat to some punks who were trying to carjack a guy driving a new Cadillac.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
removed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]
IMO. . .my uncle.  Nicest guy you ever want to meet (far right).
I'll give you one guess where he happens to be right now?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Tarawa was one of the 4 islands my grandfather invaded with the Marines in WW2.

posted by: 82ndABN

I have an uncle who earned a combat jump during D-Day. I also have an uncle who got upset over the neighbor's stereo being too loud. He entered their home and chopped it up with an axe

If I recall correctly, you also have a combat jump. Stop being shy...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
IMO. . .my uncle.  Nicest guy you ever want to meet (far right).
I'll give you one guess where he happens to be right now?
home.houston.rr.com/quijanos/UnGa.JPG

Have to agree!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Just me
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#16]
yea, the older I get the more "family secrets" I find out
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
my grandfather, USMC, lost his leg at the Chosin resivoir in Korea.

Truely the baddest dude i've ever met.

He taught me everything I know about rifle discipline.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I concider my brother a badass.  He's retired US Army Special Forces.  He was in Hati and Desert Storm as well as many other places I don't know about.  Now he's a family man with 3 kids.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
i don't know of any "badasses" in my family tree.    I have some great-grandparents that built about half the town of buena park about 70 years ago, and they have my greatest respect.

RIP walt and cordelia    
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#20]
My family tree includes no badasses. Lots of drunks, laborers, immigrants of no signifigance, famiy types and losers.

The only remarkable guy in my lineage was a noted artist of the late 19th century who got murdered after living with a prostitute, and was found floating in the East River. I think that qualifies as being KILLED by a badass tho.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a great great uncle who was killed by them indians back in the day, I guess he has a few books written about him and a monument in Montana.

I am sure on my fathers side I have some pretty big "bad asses " in the family tree, their family has been here pretty much since USA has.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Lets see,

Henry II Curtmantle - King of England  1154-1189
Richard I (the Lion-Hearted) Plantagenet - King of England  1189-1199
John Plantagenet  - King of England   1199-1216
Duncan 1  -  King of Scotland   1010-1040
Malcom III  King of Scotland   1058-1093
Charlemagne, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
Pepin Carloman King of Italy
Louis "The Fair-Pious" Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
Berhard King of Italy
Lothar  King of Italy
Charles "The Bald" Emproro of the Holy Roman Emperor

Turns out there was some minor  noble blood in the family back then, that were at various times in and out of favor.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#23]
There were several.  The two that stick out were maternal great uncles.  They were both Hungarian officers KIA on the 'Eastern front' fighting the Soviets in WWII.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Not really bad asses, just part of this small town, in fact very big parts of this town...

But being big in a little town dont mean much.

Silly ole farmers mostly

My Grandfather served, didnt fight in any wars though.  He still signed up, something I balk at doing.  Bleh.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Well as far back as we go in this country was my great, great....grandfather a record of which shows up on the docket at Jamestown, up on charges for biting the nose off a slave in his care. It sort of goes down hill from there. During the civil war it seems that my family was a main component of the guard unit at Andersonville----not exactly a resort prison. In Fort valley Georgia, my family has a long and sordid history of being general hell raisers. I wonder how I turned out so well ;-)
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had several that were famous so to speak.  Depends on the definition I guess.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an uncle who was a machine gunner at Chosin. I got another that was known as the most wanted man in Somalia (according to newspapers at the time). Adid had a 50K US price on his head because of all the militiamen he took down. I can try to dig up more info if you want.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
One of the Thomas's in my line is Heck Thomas <--link and here
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm related to Texas Jack Omohundro... Grandfather is Elmer Omohundro
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Lets see,

Henry II Curtmantle - King of England  1154-1189
Richard I (the Lion-Hearted) Plantagenet - King of England  1189-1199
John Plantagenet  - King of England   1199-1216
Duncan 1  -  King of Scotland   1010-1040
Malcom III  King of Scotland   1058-1093
Charlemagne, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
Pepin Carloman King of Italy
Louis "The Fair-Pious" Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
Berhard King of Italy
Lothar  King of Italy
Charles "The Bald" Emproro of the Holy Roman Emperor

Turns out there was some minor  noble blood in the family back then, that were at various times in and out of favor.  

hmm aren't those some of the same names in the lineage of John Kerry that was posted here before the election?  Are you related to him?

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#32]
My great-grandfather died in the Battle of the Bulge.  Doesn't get more "badass" than that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#33]
No, no badasses.  My brother is somewhat of a jackass at times though but I still love him.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have an uncle who was a machine gunner at Chosin. I got another that was known as the most wanted man in Somalia (according to newspapers at the time). Adid had a 50K US price on his head because of all the militiamen he took down. I can try to dig up more info if you want.

That would be great!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

is that a pic of you then?   doesn't look like you have much dark skin color in your family.    In-law?

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Had relatives fighting for the Northa and South during the Civil War.

One, I'll have to ask older relatives who and on what side, was shot through the chest.  A silk scarf was pulled through the wound to clean it.  He survived.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My great-grandfather died in the Battle of the Bulge.  Doesn't get more "badass" than that.

+1 My uncle was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge.  He's pretty cool to say the least.  Patty
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#38]
My Uncle.  He joined the Navy in 68', graduated from BUDs in 69'. Started his carrier as a E1.  He is currently a O6.  He has 37 years in the Navy.  And can tell some great storys.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is that a pic of you then?   doesn't look like you have much dark skin color in your family.    In-law?

Thats a pic of me, my uncle is a white guy. He's a Marine who was there before (and during) the BHD incident.  He was called Tabacco Wayne (that apparently means "Big Tobacco") because he smokes cigars. He had a story printed about him in a British newspaper & somewhere I have copies of documents from then. I even have a letter written to my grandparents by a Dutch guy he worked with that was telling them how proud they should be because he's the bravest man he'd ever seen & such. He did have some pretty good combat stories. He was also known as "Broken Neck" as he would pull militiamen from their technicals through the door windows by their neck.

He's not entirely normal. Really big & tough (around 6' 5" 260ish) but also paranoid & a bit of an asshole.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#40]
According to the 'Family Jordan' geneological group that has traced our ancestors back to the tripple digits(at least) ,the baddest in our clan was the one who originated the Jordan name for us.Up until him we were aparently known as Deardon,then sometime in the late 12th century (IIRC) while involved with the crusades in the middle east, ol' Mr Deardon caught the attention of King Richard the 1st (the Lionheart) by slaying a tremendous number of Saracens(SP?) around the river Jordan area. He was bestowed with the name of Jordan in honor of his feats and upon asking,was aparently allowed to change our familys name from then on.

Any of you with the name of Jordan can probably trace your roots through Rev. Robert Jordan,who sometime in the 1600s settled the area know known as Cape Elizibeth,Maine (then known as Spurwink)

'ultramag' Brion Jordan
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Uncle who earned a Bronze Star while he was a Marine during Korea.  His Father (also a Marine) earned a Silver Star during WW1.  I'm also related to a two-time winner of the US Open Golf Tournament.  Not really badass, but impressive nontheless.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#42]
The one in my family I'm most interested in is General George Grivas, a great uncle:  www.cyprus-conflict.net/grivas.htm .  I'm still trying to locate original copies of his books.

Anyone have any more info?

EAM  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]
My grandma said that I'm related to Jeferson Davis, but I've never researched it to verify.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#44]
My Grandmas Mothers Sister was Al Capones wife,

or so i been told.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#45]
One of my uncles was awarded the Bronze Star for assuming the duty of the XO in his FA Battery after the 1LT was injured in battle.  Damn, an E6 too.

My aunt still has his M1911.  Wonder if the US Army wants it back?  Does that count as being a "badass"?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#47]
My uncle was a Delta Force SEAL tango sniper uber 1337 commando and carries all the newest stuff you guys don't even know about...so yeah...he's pretty badass.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#48]
My Grandma on my moms side was President G HW Bush's cousin..
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:04:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
my moms a hatfeild..that count?

My mom's a McCoy!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top