Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/6/2005 12:22:39 PM EDT
Hey, got my first CMP garand today, field grade greek issue. The stock is mismatched and absolutely beat to shit, the worst I've ever seen. However, the metal is in absolutely great condition and considering I paid 400 dollars for a gun that would cost 1000+ to make today, I feel like I came out pretty well.

I do have a couple questions though: First the rear sight seems to have some play to it, if I touch the ring itself i can rock it around a fairly large amount. Is this normal? Seems wrong to me. If not is there an easy fix or should I call CMP about it? Ideas?

Second, as I said, the stock is in absolutely abismal condition, this is a purely aesthetic consideration but what is a good place to get stocks? I dont care about really fancy wood and im willing to refinish it myself, is there a place with pretty low prices? It doesnt have to be a masterpiece, just something that doesn't look like someone took a crowbar to it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:31:19 PM EDT
fulton armoury.

also, ask in the m1 forum
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:35:20 PM EDT
I bought a replacement stock from Boyd's. VERY nice stock. It took only a tiny amount of fitting to get the receiver to fit tightly. This stock is slightly oversized, similar to Korean-war issue, but it looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:40:01 PM EDT
As far as stocks go, if you want original you will have to hunt around gunshows, online auctions and such to find some decent and non-faked stock parts. If you just want an aftermarket stock, look for a Boyds stock set from MidwayUSA, or get a much better Wenig stock set from Deans Gun Restorations.

There could be several things wrong with the rear sight. The stamped metal top cover spring could be damaged or worn out. This is what places downward pressure on the aperature and if it is not making contact, the peep sight can wiggle around. The elevation knob could be cracked and will need to be replaced. Look all around it and look for a small crack in the exterior ring that you grasp. Finally, the sight could simply be loose and all you need to do is get two screwdrivers and put one in each screw on both sides of the sight. Only tighten the windage knob screw on your right side looking down the gun.

If it is the spring cover or the elevation knob, call the CMP and they should give you new parts. I had to replace both of those on my Winchester SG, and CMP sent me both parts for free.

Or you could just buy replacement parts from Orion7, and get one of his SS recoil springs too, which work great. He also has stock wood from time to time so check out his website.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:41:45 PM EDT
www.odcmp.com/specials.htm

See what you think.

I just remembered getting something in an e-mail about these.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 12:43:07 PM EDT by nightstalker]
dupe
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:42:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
As far as stocks go, if you want original you will have to hunt around gunshows, online auctions and such to find some decent and non-faked stock parts. If you just want an aftermarket stock, look for a Boyds stock set from MidwayUSA, or get a much better Wenig stock set from Deans Gun Restorations.

There could be several things wrong with the rear sight. The stamped metal top cover spring could be damaged or worn out. This is what places downward pressure on the aperature and if it is not making contact, the peep sight can wiggle around. The elevation knob could be cracked and will need to be replaced. Look all around it and look for a small crack in the exterior ring that you grasp. Finally, the sight could simply be loose and all you need to do is get two screwdrivers and put one in each screw on both sides of the sight. Only tighten the windage knob screw on your right side looking down the gun.

If it is the spring cover or the elevation knob, call the CMP and they should give you new parts. I had to replace both of those on my Winchester SG, and CMP sent me both parts for free.

Or you could just buy replacement parts from Orion7, and get one of his SS recoil springs too, which work great. He also has stock wood from time to time so check out his website.

Thanks a lot guys, this has been very helpful, if anyone has something else to say, keep it comming!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:05:46 PM EDT
I've been messing around and it looks like nothings broken and I tried tightening the sight to no avail. It may be the top cover spring. The top cover spring has a lot of play to it and if i push down on the top cover spring and then try to move the sight ring it is rock solid. Does it seem like that is the problem to you guys?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:11:28 PM EDT
When dissassembled there also seems to be a lot of play between the aperature sight and the sight base.

Maybe this should be moved to the m1a/garand forum.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:21:39 PM EDT
bump, c'mon, someone has to know
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:03:24 PM EDT
It is a major pain in the balls, but you may have to disassemble the rear sight. You wouldn't believe the crap and gunk that can get in there. Remember that that rifle is probably 50 years old.
I would check the gun show circuit before anything else as far as a stock goes. You can get an excellent original birch set for a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:06:52 PM EDT
How long did it take you to receive your gun? I just ordered my first on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:04:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By atomicferret:
How long did it take you to receive your gun? I just ordered my first on Monday.

1st orders take a bit longer as they have to set up your customer file in their records.

I have gotten orders in 10 days from sending the paperwork, to getting the long boxes of joy.
Top Top