Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 2:48:06 PM EST
Bought an additional fan and installed it in the front of the case. Plugged it into the connector just under the left CPU hold down screw. But now where can i plug my rear fan into? Will I have to splice it somewhere?

Micro ATX case.

vmax84

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:51:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 2:51:35 PM EST by ZeikHunter]
look at your motherboard manual. it should have the 3-4 pin fan ports labeled by location on the board. if you dont have it, whats the model of the board, ill try and look it up for you, but the ECS site is difficult to get to from here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:52:21 PM EST

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:53:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By ZeikHunter:
look at your motherboard manual. it should have the 3-4 pin fan ports labeled by location on the board. if you dont have it, whats the model of the board, ill try and look it up for you, but the ECS site is difficult to get to from here.

I have the manual handy. Reading is fundamental, huh??!!!!

I'll see if I can figure it out from here.

vmax84

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:54:06 PM EST
If you don't have another fan header on your motherboard, you can get an adapter to convert a molex 4 pin to a fan connector (link), or a splitter to run two fans off of one header (link).
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:54:12 PM EST
Motherboard is Elitegroup G31T-M7

vmax84
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:57:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By JDMnAR:
If you don't have another fan header on your motherboard, you can get an adapter to convert a molex 4 pin to a fan connector (link), or a splitter to run two fans off of one header (link).

I think I"m going to have to go this route, since I'm not seeing any other fan output dealies............thanks a lot for the links!!!! Exactly what I need.

vmax84

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:59:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By vmax84:
Motherboard is Elitegroup G31T-M7

vmax84

looks like youve only got the 2, a 4-pin for the HSF, and a 3-pin for a case fan. gonna have to get an adapter. less than $5 from newegg.com, iirc.

i wouldnt try and splice anything though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:00:17 PM EST
nice cable routing!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:04:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
nice cable routing!

Work in progress yet!!! But yeah, looks good, huh??!!!

vmax84

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:17:23 PM EST
So while I got this computer thing front and center, would it be worthwhile to pick up some type of graphics card for it? It's for my 11 year old daughter. Would that make the system run better?

vmax84
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:34:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 3:34:57 PM EST by ZeikHunter]
So while I got this computer thing front and center, would it be worthwhile to pick up some type of graphics card for it? It's for my 11 year old daughter. Would that make the system run better?

vmax84

it certainly wouldnt hurt. the integrated graphics uses system RAM to process its data. a dedicated card would free up those resources. its only got a PCI-e x16 1.0 slot, and those cards have come down quite a bit.

heres what newegg's got that will work in your system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609641&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:42:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By ZeikHunter:

vmax84

it certainly wouldnt hurt. the integrated graphics uses system RAM to process its data. a dedicated card would free up those resources. its only got a PCI-e x16 1.0 slot, and those cards have come down quite a bit.

heres what newegg's got that will work in your system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609641&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Thank you very much!!! I think this will work out fine for my kid. Thanks again.

vmax84

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:44:12 PM EST
holy rats nest batman
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:45:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bugalaman:
holy rats nest batman

Relax............as stated earlier, work in progress!!!

vmax84
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:50:17 PM EST
this build is a major FAIL

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:57:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By itchytriggerfinger:

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard

no, its not. its not some uber gaming rig, its something functional for his daughter. it might not be epic win or whatever, but as long as it meets his needs and hos budget, thats all that matters. and, if the stock fans didn work for stock clock speeds, they wouldnt provide them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:04:38 PM EST
I was just saying that if you are going to build a PC you can spring for a good fan, also i know that there are better mobos to be had just do your home work and hit places like fry's, newegg.com, or zipzoomfly.com
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:08:45 PM EST

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard

Well, this was my first build..............I suppose there's only room for improvement from here on out.

vmax84
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:09:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 4:16:05 PM EST by tesla120]

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard

learn 2 barebones

ETA: post number 1066
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:13:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By tesla120:

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard

learn 2 barebones

i don't see your point even if i were going to try to build a cheap simple comp it would never include an ECS mobo, even if i used a stock fan
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:23:56 PM EST

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard

learn 2 barebones

i don't see your point even if i were going to try to build a cheap simple comp it would never include an ECS mobo, even if i used a stock fan

why? they are inexpensive and they work. who else are you going to go through for a $30 mobo after rebate? when you don't care about performance why blow the money?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:24:03 PM EST

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard

learn 2 barebones

so youre saying that i shouldnt have bought my little brother an ECS mobo for his first build? i should have sprung for a $200 Crosshair III for him to 'learn' on?

if he wrecks a $40 mobo, no big deal. if he gets some use and some experince from it, all the better. if not, im only out $40.

and while its cheaper to buy stuff online as opposed to in the store, the cheap stuff is still cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:30:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 4:31:43 PM EST by ChadG]

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard

Well, this was my first build..............I suppose there's only room for improvement from here on out.

vmax84

only one way to learn and that is try it one time, if at first you dont succeed try again!

If you end up having a problem with routing cables pick up a larger case, the one I bought came with 3 fans and air filters for $59 MasterCool also came with other goodies I'd never use, it was 40% larger than the stock E machines case. Fans....btdt I learned from my first just as you are doing. Last comp I built runs like a champ sorta makes me jealous that my PC isn't as good.

Im guessing you saved a ton of cash too........huh?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:40:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By ChadG:

1. stock intel fan

2. ECS motherboard

vmax84

only one way to learn and that is try it one time, if at first you dont succeed try again!

If you end up having a problem with routing cables pick up a larger case, the one I bought came with 3 fans and air filters for $59 MasterCool also came with other goodies I'd never use, it was 40% larger than the stock E machines case. Fans....btdt I learned from my first just as you are doing. Last comp I built runs like a champ sorta makes me jealous that my PC isn't as good.

Im guessing you saved a ton of cash too........huh?

I've always wanted to try and "build" a computer and I thought I might as well go for it. I've learned a lot so far, and the guy I room with down in Indy (another Michigan displaced FedEx Feeder pilot) has helped me. He actually tried talking me out of a couple componets (motherboard and case size, ATX micro is what I purchased), but I'm a hard head and got everything pretty much on sale.

Next computer I build will be different than this one, but I'm enjoying learning about them, it will be plenty fast for my kid (they have a PS3 and Wii, so they certainly are not going without), and I'm simply having a little fun while I sit down here for my 4 day work week before I can go home again.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

vmax84

Top Top