Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2001 2:37:19 PM EDT
I picked up a Marlin 1895M today.  Man, I can't wait to shoot this sucker!

Bradd
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i hear the new round is a monster. keep us up on how it preforms.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I also picked up some Hornady 350 gr Interlock flat points...2100 fps.

Bradd
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The so called experts say that the .450 Marlin is destined to become obsolete before it ever gets off the ground. It does nothing that other cartridges don't already do.
So much for the so called experts. I wish I had one. They are one sweet rifle.
Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a rumor that Winchester will chamber a rifle in it.  That ought to help it's longevity.

Bradd
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello All;

I know this isn't the "lever' forum, but I have been thinking of buying one.  I have an old Sears (made by Winchester) 1894 type in 30-30, no finish left, but works well.  

What I would like to get is a BIG-BORE lever rifle.  I was thinking .45-70, an old but not very flat shooting cartridge.  I was also looking at the .444.  Availability of commercial ammo isn't a problem, because I will reload what I need.  Before I select a caliber, I might need to decide the purpose for this rifle.  I do not have one, would just like to have a nice lever action rifle.  Maybe to plink silhouettes at 100,  200 or 300 meters.  

What do you have, and what do you like / dislike about it.

Thanx

OSA
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I think for your purposes, Old Spfld Armory, the .45-70 would be fine.  There's a plethora of rifles chambered for it and handload data is abundant.  By the way, I'm new to leverguns so...

Bradd
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanx Bradd
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep in mind that either the 45/70 or the 450 marlin drop like rocks beyond about 150 yards. The reason for the 450 was so that factory loads could be produced that wouldn't blow up an older gun, ie, trapdoor springfield. Both rounds will perform identically and the determining factor should be what you prefer. I get the more fps and energy out of my 45/70 than available in factory 450's and the brass is cheaper among other things. Either is quite the powerhouse in the 100 yd realm and will take care of literally any living creature in North America and most of anything in Africa, a little light for elephant though. I think you'll like the 1895M the ports really work. There's nothing quite like the roar of a big bore....
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The real deciding factor for me was the fact that I don't reload and factory .45-70 stuff is pretty weak.  I plan to use it to hunt deer, pig, and hopefully bear.

Bradd
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
You wanna hunt deer with a 45/70?!?!

Don't you guys have "smaller" deer down there too?!?!

Hell, I almost DON'T want to use my .308 for deer! I nearly blew a doe's whole head, and neck off last season! - No joke.

It was about a 110 yards, and I was using Remington 150 grains....

The season before that, I took a doe (took two shots though), and nearly half of the meat was ruined. (One shot was just below the spine, and another was at the top of the shoulder). With same bullets.

This is not BS either.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't be too anxious to use the 45/70 or 450 on deer size game unless you're using moderately loaded 300 gr hp's and are careful on your shot placement. Place a 350 gr bullet in a deer's midsection and you'll have a mess. Good close in elk gun though. You can get good hot loads for the 45/70 from garrett cartridges (www.garrettcartridges.com) for the big stuff and use lighter loads for the deer. That's the nice thing about the 45/70 there's alot of loadings out there for it from lighter to WOW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top