Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2009 4:26:39 PM EDT
Well, my computer somehow got infected with the WinPC Defender trojan.  Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?  I've deleted just about everything I can think of related to it, but its still there.  All of the Spyware programs I download run, and then ask for money before they fix the problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
MALWAREBYTES.org

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Malware won't delete anything without me paying.  Anyone else got any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Malware won't delete anything without me paying.  Anyone else got any suggestions?

Download it using an uninfected computer.

Malwarebytes is free.

Malwarebytes download page
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Download it using an uninfected computer.

Malwarebytes is free.

Malwarebytes download page

I appreciate the help, but isn't it a little late for that?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I broke down and paid the money for the Malware subscription.  It seems to have taken care of the problem.  Thanks for the recommendation!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I broke down and paid the money for the Malware subscription.  It seems to have taken care of the problem.  Thanks for the recommendation!

I am torn, I am happy you got it fixed and if you bought a subscription to malwarebytes that is not a bad thing. But you should not have had to buy a subscription in order to take care of the problem.

I am kind of concerned that you may have been hijacked by a program posing as malwarebytes. It has happened, and you would not be the first.

Problem is I don't know how to help you determine if this has happened.

Malwarebytes would probably given you both an ID code and a license/activation code to copy and paste into the registration window. If that did not happen, I would suggest looking into it further.

Hopefully I am worried about nothing.......
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am torn, I am happy you got it fixed and if you bought a subscription to malwarebytes that is not a bad thing. But you should not have had to buy a subscription in order to take care of the problem.

I am kind of concerned that you may have been hijacked by a program posing as malwarebytes. It has happened, and you would not be the first.

Malwarebytes would probably given you both an ID code and a license/activation code to copy and paste into the registration window. If that did not happen, I would suggest looking into it further.

Yeah, they did send me some confirmation emails, along with an activation code.  WinPC is gone also.  Any suggestions to figure out if I've been duped?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they did send me some confirmation emails, along with an activation code.  WinPC is gone also.  Any suggestions to figure out if I've been duped?

Well, if you now have a malwarebytes icon in your system tray, you are probably ok.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if you now have a malwarebytes icon in your system tray, you are probably ok.

I do.  But, I'll keep an eye on my credit card bill anyway.  I downloaded it from the link you gave me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Malwarebytes has 2 modes - a free mode and subscription mode.  I've always used it on demand and henceonly needed the free mode.  Per the web page: Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating. For consumers and personal use, it is a one time fee of $24.95.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Malwarebytes has 2 modes - a free mode and subscription mode.  I've always used it on demand and henceonly needed the free mode.  Per the web page: Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating. For consumers and personal use, it is a one time fee of $24.95.

Oddly enough, when I click the icon on my desktop and everywhere else, nothing seems to happen.  I'm having this problem with a few other icons also.  When I restart my computer, it looks like something is going and checking for or deleting a whole bunch of spybots.  It scrolls so fast I really can't read it all that well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I just cleaned this off someones computer yesterday and had the same problem with Malwarebytes not running when clicked.  Try renaming the malwarebytes program from mbam.exe to mbam1.exe this worked to get Malwarebytes running and cleaning up the problem.  You may also try running in safe mode as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just cleaned this off someones computer yesterday and had the same problem with Malwarebytes not running when clicked.  Try renaming the malwarebytes program from mbam.exe to mbam1.exe this worked to get Malwarebytes running and cleaning up the problem.  You may also try running in safe mode as well.

Surprisingly enough, that worked.  This place is a veritable found of computer wealth.  Who would have thought the best tech support people would be fellow gun nuts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top