Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2004 12:11:57 AM EST
First time im going paintballing. I go on sat. Paintball here is rather "priveledged" cos the legal age is 18 in my state.

Any tips for a n00b? Im wearing my woodland boonie and my cricket "box" (protector for most valuable body part).
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:14:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By FiftyCalibre:
First time im going paintballing. I go on sat. Paintball here is rather "priveledged" cos the legal age is 18 in my state.

Any tips for a n00b? Im wearing my woodland boonie and my cricket "box" (protector for most valuable body part).

Just like in combat, always move and work in buddy teams

(not saying that paintball is like combat, but the same tatics apply)
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:17:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 12:17:41 AM EST by DrunkDucky]
Don't get shot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:20:16 AM EST
...and if you want to do well, expect to do a lot of shooting. The more paint that you can afford to throw, the better you will do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:21:44 AM EST
Make sure to wear goves
Fire when on the move
Keep your head down
Dont waste paint on out of range targets
LEAD your targets
If you get hit, call yourself out, dont wipe it off

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:33:33 AM EST

I dont know how a cricket box compares to an american cup, but I'd like to find one that wraps around to protect the back of the family jewels. First time I played I got hit from behind, between the legs, and right in the left nut. Slim chances of that happening I know but trust me you will be out for the day .
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:51:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By yellow5:

I dont know how a cricket box compares to an american cup, but I'd like to find one that wraps around to protect the back of the family jewels. First time I played I got hit from behind, between the legs, and right in the left nut. Slim chances of that happening I know but trust me you will be out for the day .

NEVER get shot running away.

It is only paint. Run ahead and bunker 'em--best way to get an adrenaline rush in paintball.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:14:55 AM EST
wear loose clothing like a hockey jersey. don't pad up like a fat boy. Loose clothing works like a net , sometimes the paint won't even break. Look at the pros.. they wear a loose paint jersey and pants.

J
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:16:42 AM EST
Put the paintballs in your freezer overnight before going
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:21:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

A guy had done that at a field that I go and play at and trust me, you don't want to get caught with frozen paint balls. The ass kicken that guy got handed to him was far worse than those frozen paintballs he was shooting at us.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:33:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By badeffect10:
A guy had done that at a field that I go and play at and trust me, you don't want to get caught with frozen paint balls. The ass kicken that guy got handed to him was far worse than those frozen paintballs he was shooting at us.

I wasn't serious
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:13:09 AM EST

Paintball field sells the balls and rents out the guns and equipment.

Need a friggin firearms license for a paintball gun!

I would wear a tighter pair of undies to hold my balls higher (but makes it harder to breathe), wear another set of undies on top and put the box in between but that might be too uncomfy. My mates cousin thought he would be right if he didnt have a box on but within the 1st 5 minutes he got shot on the tip of his dick!

Cheers fellas
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:28:12 AM EST

I wasn't serious

I really didnt figure you were. But the guy posing the original question may not know any better so I was just giving him fair warning.

Also, alot of fields require you to use their balls. If you go a few times and they use the same ones every time you may want to find out what kind and start ordering your own and sneaking them in. It can save you at least 10 bucks a case, usually more.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:29:23 AM EST

I would wear a tighter pair of undies to hold my balls higher (but makes it harder to breathe), wear another set of undies on top and put the box in between but that might be too uncomfy. My mates cousin thought he would be right if he didnt have a box on but within the 1st 5 minutes he got shot on the tip of his dick!

Cheers fellas

Well hopefully for his wifes sake it swelled and she was able to reap the benefits of his misfortune.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:29:39 AM EST

Cheers fellas

Well hopefully for his wifes sake it swelled and she was able to reap the benefits of his misfortune.

He has no wife.

Im not old like most of you
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:31:52 AM EST
wear padding under the loose jersey. It will hurt when you get tagged on a hard part of you body. Always keep your lid on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:50:59 AM EST
right off the top of my head?

stay low and provide a small target.

if you must hide choose an unpredictable hiding place.

If you need to shoot around a barricade that you are using for cover DO NOT poke out over the top as you expose yourself much more this way. Instead poke out the side.

If at all possible try to work in a buddy system with someone else.

Stay calm.

good luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:51:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 11:54:41 AM EST by longshot_va]

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
wear padding under the loose jersey. It will hurt when you get tagged on a hard part of you body. Always keep your GOGGLES on.

YES!!!

fixed....
-LS
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:57:04 AM EST
Smuggle in a guppy full of Pepperballs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:02:40 AM EST
Whats a "lid"?

Im small, 5'7? 130? lbs. One of my mates would have a problem though. He is 6 foot something and 230? lbs. Bwahahahha.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:05:59 AM EST
Probably by Lid he means face-mask.

While on the field, ALWAYS have your goggles on.

While off the field, unless ungassed and unloaded, ALWAYS have the barrel condom on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:06:53 AM EST
Excuse me....Are those my BALLS on your face!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:13:04 AM EST
Don't get hit in the face. The paint tastes terrible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:23:38 AM EST

I wasn't serious

I really didnt figure you were. But the guy posing the original question may not know any better so I was just giving him fair warning.

Also, alot of fields require you to use their balls. If you go a few times and they use the same ones every time you may want to find out what kind and start ordering your own and sneaking them in. It can save you at least 10 bucks a case, usually more.

Do not sneak your own balls on the feilds. The only money the feilds make is off the paint. I know in the use alot of places cant even pay there insurancse payments without the fees from feild paint.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:26:10 AM EST

Not to sound gauty or anything, but being the PB veteran that I am, I can give you some valuable pieces of advice, in ascednding importance:

1. know the terrain/course. There should be a map provided for you if you're at a commercial place

2. form a plan with your teammates (after you warm up)

3. don't be afraid to get hit, and don't be afraid to be aggressive.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:10:42 AM EST
Don't worry about getting hit, it doesn't hurt because the adrenalin is kicking in. Be aggressive. It's been a while since I played but the more aggressive I was, the better I would play. Also, take the advice on bringing lots of paint. The game these days is played with saturating your opponent with paint until you finally hit them, just to compete your gonna have to throw alot of paint down range. Bring a cooler with some beer for after the day, the best part of paintball is kicking back with the fellas after the day and telling war stories over a cold brew. Have fun, my current job requires me to work every weekend, otherwise I would still be playing......
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:11:40 AM EST
We need a minimum age requirement for ARFCOM membership.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:19:59 AM EST
don't get hunkered down, a simple flanking move works wonders in paintball b/c most people don't know anything about tactics, fire and movement, etc... and always attack through the ambush!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:21:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By DrunkDucky:
Don't get shot.

Dammit! I was going to say that!

Shoot and scoot, I always say.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:48:52 AM EST
Definetly wear a "cricket box" I'm assuming that's what we call a "cup" here in America.

I got hit in the berries with a paintball once and I'll never play without a cup again. I dropped like a sack of potatoes, it hurt REAL bad.

Gloves are nice too.

Goggles that do not fog are a must.

Somthing to protect you from ticks, or whatever the local pests are down under.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:57:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By NoKarma:

I wasn't serious

Do not sneak your own balls on the feilds. The only money the feilds make is off the paint. I know in the use alot of places cant even pay there insurancse payments without the fees from feild paint.
NoKarma

I'm not sure what part of the country your from but here in GA the field fees can get a little extreme. On top of that having to pay $20.00-30.00 more for a case of balls than I can buy them for bites at my wallet. I can understand having to make money and providing a service but some of these fields are ripping people off because there the only ones in the area.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:03:02 AM EST
Stay mobile.

On an outdoor course, guys that stay stationary get outflanked and plastered.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:04:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By DrunkDucky:
Don't get shot.

I second the motion.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:31:51 AM EST

No no, you gotta use marbles
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:22:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:

Not to sound gauty or anything, but being the PB veteran that I am, I can give you some valuable pieces of advice, in ascednding importance:

1. know the terrain/course. There should be a map provided for you if you're at a commercial place

2. form a plan with your teammates (after you warm up)

3. don't be afraid to get hit, and don't be afraid to be aggressive.

Keep the Plan SIMPLE
like Cover me up the right. if the plan takes more than 30 seconds to explain it will fall apart,

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:29:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By bvmjethead:
Definetly wear a "cricket box" I'm assuming that's what we call a "cup" here in America.

I got hit in the berries with a paintball once and I'll never play without a cup again. I dropped like a sack of potatoes, it hurt REAL bad.

Gloves are nice too.

Goggles that do not fog are a must.

Somthing to protect you from ticks, or whatever the local pests are down under.

I been punched in the nuts enough (hey, once is enough) to know that when my package is at risk, the cup goes on. Everybody needs to learn this, but hopefully not the hard way.

I also been hit in the hand with a paintball. Hurts a lot worse than a torso hit. Gloves are not just nice.

Unfortunately, fogging is something you can't control with rental goggles, but a tip: wipe the inside of the goggles with the orange antibacterial liquid handsoap, like Dial. Wipe all the soap but a see-through residue out, and your lens usually won't fog.

In Kangarooville, I would presume that bug repellent is a good idea. Two words: paralysis ticks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:40:42 AM EST
You can see the paint balls arc thru the air so if you are fast you can doge them and the paint is made out of fish oil so like wise it tastes bad
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:43:56 AM EST
Play balls out Rambo style. Very aggressive. Play as if you’re invincible. You will get tagged out about 60-70% of the time and you will win BIG 30-40% of the time. The big wins are what it all about. New players will absolutely rally around this style.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:51:52 AM EST
how about this USE COVER i see so many new people stand in the open and blast away. If your in the open for a few moments take a knee if you aren't moving.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:51:53 AM EST
-Run fast and low.
-Don't yell hit unless you see paint broken on yourself.
-Paintballs are not bullets. They don't go through brush well. They are inaccurate, learn the arc.
-Keep shooting until the person you are shooting at yells hit.
-Remember to close your hopper after you load.
-Run the tapes. Not the center.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:53:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:55:34 AM EST
One more thing: Baggy clothes are the body armor of paintball. Not only will it hurt less, but you will get more ball bounces. Ball bounces are good, breaks are bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:57:41 AM EST
Lid = facemask, goggles and other headgear. I have seen people get shot in the eye where they almost lost an eye. Its better to be safe then sorry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:59:52 AM EST
Save the money you would spend on paint balls and go shoot one of your real weapons. Thats the best "Paintball" advise one can give you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:02:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 12:06:55 PM EST by raven]
Be aggressive, and try to flank if you're playing in the woods.

I really sucked at paintball until I learned not to just dig in and duke it out from behind cover, but to be daring and run and try to get the other players from their flank.

But this was back in the pump-action days. Maybe it's different now.

the real rush was playing speedball. Our team would rush full speed at the other team screaming. Never failed to panic them, they'd get behind cover and wait for us to kill them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:04:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:10:47 PM EST
Most importantly, HAVE FUN. Don't take it too seriously.

Getting shot isn't that bad. The more you play the better you'll get.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:13:54 PM EST
If you run out of ammo, the "pop-pop" of a dry gun will keep their heads down.. Sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:20:36 PM EST
Covering fire is your friend.

Some times concealment IS cover.

There's nothing like sneaking up on a guy and making him surrender because he didn't see you.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:52:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jasba:
Don't worry about getting hit, it doesn't hurt because the adrenalin is kicking in. Be aggressive. It's been a while since I played but the more aggressive I was, the better I would play. Also, take the advice on bringing lots of paint. The game these days is played with saturating your opponent with paint until you finally hit them, just to compete your gonna have to throw alot of paint down range. Bring a cooler with some beer for after the day, the best part of paintball is kicking back with the fellas after the day and telling war stories over a cold brew. Have fun, my current job requires me to work every weekend, otherwise I would still be playing......

We are having a pub crawl afterwards, but im designated driver so no beer for me

I think its the same. But "cricket boxes" are bigger

Some of us have Scottish blood in us, is crazy Braveheart-esque methods of charging wise?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:53:46 PM EST
This is all very good advise.
Also, remember to:

1) _work_with_someone_. If you try to go around alone, you won't last too long.

2) _Talk_ to your teammates (loudly so they can hear you). It keeps you working together and also intimidates newbies. If you intimidate the other team you've already won half the battle, 'cause they won't be thinking clearly.

3) Shoot a _lot_. Paintballs are inaccurate. Also, it'll keep your opponents heads down while your teammates flank them.

4) Flank the other team (see above). Get your opponents in a crossfire. Lots of newer players will get tunnel vision (aka target fixation) when you shoot at them. They'll forget to look to their sides and rear, which is exactly where your teammates should try to get.

5) check 6 _often_.

6) (to reiterate) Be agressive (but in a calculating way)! Don't push so far out ahead of your team that you get cut off, but at the same time, continually push forward in coordination with your team. Be relentless and look for openings in the other teams line that you can take advantage of.

7) If you're the last guy left on your team, don't hide in a hole to wait for the inevitable. If you do, you'll only get shot up worse and from closer range (hurts more). Get out there and make the best of the situation and try to take some of the other team with you. It's much more fun that way anyway. 8) have fun!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top