Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 9:15:44 AM EDT
What are yall going to do this year on the date  06/06/06  ?

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Just wondering.

I'm going to feel compassion for people who get hung up because they attach man's physical/natural understanding onto Bible verses that are meant to be taken spiritually/symbolically.

Let's think about this 666 thing for a minute, OK? First of all, 06/06/06 is 060606, not 666. But besides that,
Rev 13:18 says, "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

Now tell me, how much "wisdom" or "understanding" does it require to think that means anytime the number 666 comes up, somehow the Devil is behind it? Your bill at the grocery store is $6.66. You must be the devil! Yep, that's some pretty deep understanding and wisdom, alright.

I don't know for sure that this is the full understanding, but consider this: Seven is a symbolic number in the scriptures. It pictures God's completeness (God rested on the seventh day, for example). Anything short of that is six — or something unfinished. Since Christ was Lord of the sabbath and entered into his rest, his number would have been 7, or  perhaps, 777. The number of a man — one not grown to the fullness of Christ —  is 6 or 666. Yeah, that's simplistic, I know. But is it really any more far fetched than thinking that if your change at the grocery store is $6.66 you're somehow cursed?

The symbolic number 666 refers to the number of  the beast. Who is the beast? Most folks agree that it's the devil. John 8:44 tells us the Devil is the father of the lie. A liar is just one who perverts the truth. When dealing with God's truths, a liar is called a false prophet.

In 1Co 15:32, Paul writes: "If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? . . . " Paul wasn't fighting with lions and tigers and bears. And he wasn't fighting with the devil — at least not one on one. He was contending with false teachers and preachers. He was dealing with people doing the Devil's work — those that would spread lies or false information about God.

Isn't that really the form that the beast usually takes — someone speaking lies and false information about God? And what is the "number" of the beast? It sure isn't 7, or God's completeness. It's something short of that. It's 6 . . . or 666.

Now, here's the real wrinkle in this 666 business. Skip back two verses to Rev 13:16: "And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:"

This verse say ALL will receive the mark. Draw a circle around the Earth and you have an idea of what "all" means. It includes you and me, brother. This verse says we ALL will have this mark in our forehead (our mind is right there near our forehead, btw). Now that's pretty scary stuff if we're talking some sort of boogie man antichrist dude (have you actually read the scriptures on antichrist?). But if what it means is that ALL of us have come short of the fullness of Christ and that we've ALL spoken and understood wrong ideas about God, then that's not so hard to accept. Lord knows it's true. The scripture also says that the number of a man is 666. Do we doubt for a moment that we measure up to the number of a man? Isn't that our condition?

So, 666 isn't a day on the calendar and it's not a physical tatoo or birthmark on the forehead of some boogie man. It's just the condition of all of us before we are completed creatures in God.

Again, this may not be perfect understanding but at least it's an attempt to understand. Saying a date on the calendar is somehow cursed because it can be written 6/6/06 (that's not 666, btw) sure doesn't reflect a whole lot of deeper understanding. And remember what the scripture says: "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast . . . " Apparently, it takes a bit of wisdom and understanding to get what's being said.

Surely, God is not bound by our calendar since he made all the stars — not just the puny one we revolve around. Let's not put him in a box and say that when man's calendar reaches a certain date, God must do this or that. Let's set our sights a little higher than a date on the calendar, OK? Let's understand that we come up short of God's expectations of us. We are six (or 666). God wants us to be seven.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering.

I'm going to feel compassion for people who get hung up because they attach man's physical/natural understanding onto Bible verses that are meant to be taken spiritually/symbolically.

Let's think about this 666 thing for a minute, OK? First of all, 06/06/06 is 060606, not 666. But besides that,
Rev 13:18 says, "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

Now tell me, how much "wisdom" or "understanding" does it require to think that means anytime the number 666 comes up, somehow the Devil is behind it? Your bill at the grocery store is $6.66. You must be the devil! Yep, that's some pretty deep understanding and wisdom, alright.

I don't know for sure that this is the full understanding, but consider this: Seven is a symbolic number in the scriptures. It pictures God's completeness (God rested on the seventh day, for example). Anything short of that is six — or something unfinished. Since Christ was Lord of the sabbath and entered into his rest, his number would have been 7, or  perhaps, 777. The number of a man — one not grown to the fullness of Christ —  is 6 or 666. Yeah, that's simplistic, I know. But is it really any more far fetched than thinking that if your change at the grocery store is $6.66 you're somehow cursed?

The symbolic number 666 refers to the number of  the beast. Who is the beast? Most folks agree that it's the devil. John 8:44 tells us the Devil is the father of the lie. A liar is just one who perverts the truth. When dealing with God's truths, a liar is called a false prophet.

In 1Co 15:32, Paul writes: "If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? . . . " Paul wasn't fighting with lions and tigers and bears. And he wasn't fighting with the devil — at least not one on one. He was contending with false teachers and preachers. He was dealing with people doing the Devil's work — those that would spread lies or false information about God.

Isn't that really the form that the beast usually takes — someone speaking lies and false information about God? And what is the "number" of the beast? It sure isn't 7, or God's completeness. It's something short of that. It's 6 . . . or 666.

Now, here's the real wrinkle in this 666 business. Skip back two verses to Rev 13:16: "And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:"

This verse say ALL will receive the mark. Draw a circle around the Earth and you have an idea of what "all" means. It includes you and me, brother. This verse says we ALL will have this mark in our forehead (our mind is right there near our forehead, btw). Now that's pretty scary stuff if we're talking some sort of boogie man antichrist dude (have you actually read the scriptures on antichrist?). But if what it means is that ALL of us have come short of the fullness of Christ and that we've ALL spoken and understood wrong ideas about God, then that's not so hard to accept. Lord knows it's true. The scripture also says that the number of a man is 666. Do we doubt for a moment that we measure up to the number of a man? Isn't that our condition?

So, 666 isn't a day on the calendar and it's not a physical tatoo or birthmark on the forehead of some boogie man. It's just the condition of all of us before we are completed creatures in God.

Again, this may not be perfect understanding but at least it's an attempt to understand. Saying a date on the calendar is somehow cursed because it can be written 6/6/06 (that's not 666, btw) sure doesn't reflect a whole lot of deeper understanding. And remember what the scripture says: "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast . . . " Apparently, it takes a bit of wisdom and understanding to get what's being said.

Surely, God is not bound by our calendar since he made all the stars — not just the puny one we revolve around. Let's not put him in a box and say that when man's calendar reaches a certain date, God must do this or that. Let's set our sights a little higher than a date on the calendar, OK? Let's understand that we come up short of God's expectations of us. We are six (or 666). God wants us to be seven.

Lighten up, it was a JOKE....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wow! I guess I didn't get it. There's so many people who get hung up on stuff like this I figured you were serious. Obviously, I need to study up on the language of emoticons . . .
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow! I guess I didn't get it. There's so many people who get hung up on stuff like this I figured you were serious. Obviously, I need to study up on the language of emoticons . . .

Yes please do, you will find life on the net alot more laid back.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I might have seen the humor if the question were asked in the general discussion forum. In this room I figured it was a legit question. My bad . . .
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might have seen the humor if the question were asked in the general discussion forum. In this room I figured it was a legit question. My bad . . .

No problem.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I thnk I'll get up and go to work that day.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just wondering.

Why would that day be different than any other?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering.

Yall really need a sense of humor, warped would be good....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering.

I have one and it is quite twisted unfortunately. I just jumped the gun I guess. I thought your intent was less than honorable or less than joking. Too many pop in here and ask a question that they have no itent of really wanting to know the answer. They come ine with a preconcievced notion that XXXXs are into or follw XXXX and they ask a question expecting an answer they already have an ignorant and uneducated rebuttal for.

Sorry I thought this was one of those posts. As a Christian I never saw the signifigance or obsession in 666 like the non Christians do.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank God it is a Tues and not a Sunday!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That assumes that there was anything funny about your question. Tell me, have you ever posted in the religion forum before? You haven't in the past three months, according to the search function. If you aren't really interested in a serious discussion of religious topics, perhaps you would be better off sticking to the general discussion forum.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering.

I will be praying for both of you
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I will be praying for both of you

Thanks. The more the merrier . . .
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm performing a marriage ceremony for two friends getting married at 7:06pm
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Any chance you could move it forward an hour?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering.

. . .

Let's set our sights a little higher than a date on the calendar, OK? Let's understand that we come up short of God's expectations of us. We are six (or 666). God wants us to be seven.

1. I'm impressed. . .very smart even if it was a little harsh.  
2. I was just gonna say that, "I don't think God gives a rat's a** ", but what you said is good too.    Our calender's  just something conceived by man to measure something intangible, time.  It's hard to understand that you can't really measure something that has no beginning and no end. . ..
3. However, while GOD may not give a d***, them ragheads might think the date would be a good time for an attack.  9/11 . ..  just another day?  NO.  6/6/6 just another day? . . . probably, but . ..  we won't know until then.  Never hurts to plan ahead.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That assumes that there was anything funny about your question. Tell me, have you ever posted in the religion forum before? You haven't in the past three months, according to the search function. If you aren't really interested in a serious discussion of religious topics, perhaps you would be better off sticking to the general discussion forum.

Yes, I have posted in this forum in the past, just tend to stay out of it, but I do browse it for entertainment purposes. You guys can be counted on for a good laugh.

As for the number 666, to me it is a number, I could carelss, BUT I know plenty of "christians" who get all upset and froth at the mouth when they see or hear that number.

As I said before, ligthen up, it is only life.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have one and it is quite twisted unfortunately. I just jumped the gun I guess. I thought your intent was less than honorable or less than joking. Too many pop in here and ask a question that they have no itent of really wanting to know the answer. They come ine with a preconcievced notion that XXXXs are into or follw XXXX and they ask a question expecting an answer they already have an ignorant and uneducated rebuttal for.

Sorry I thought this was one of those posts. As a Christian I never saw the signifigance or obsession in 666 like the non Christians do.

As I said , No problem.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Bladeswitcher, It is good to see someone speak with some understanding of the kingdom.

A welcome relief from the fly-away crowd.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yes, I have posted in this forum in the past, just tend to stay out of it, but I do browse it for entertainment purposes. You guys can be counted on for a good laugh . . .

It's so good to know that people who take their belief in God seriously provide you entertainment.

Pro 26:18 ¶ As a mad man who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death,
19 So is the man that deceiveth his neighbour, and saith, Am not I in sport?

As I said before, ligthen up, it is only life.

True enough, brother, true enough:

Deu 32:46 And he said unto them, Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day, which ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this law.
47 For it is not a vain thing for you; because it is your life: and through this thing ye shall prolong your days in the land . . .

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's so good to know that people who take their belief in God seriously provide you entertainment. Did our response make you smile or did you have some other reaction?

Believe in whatever you wish, personally, I could care less. I did get a good laugh, love to see you guys ramble and froth and spite all over

True enough, brother, true enough: Iaint your brother

Deu 32:46 And he said unto them, Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day, which ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this law.
47 For it is not a vain thing for you; because it is your life: and through this thing ye shall prolong your days in the land . . .

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

means nothing to me, again I could careless.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

And yet you still bothered to ask about 666 . . . Well, fear not, God will not bring forth his wrath on June 6th, 2006, more than any other. We can all pray that Gravitas1's concerns won't be realized and that the Islamic terrorists won't choose this day for an attack. Otherwise, I trust the day will be not any different from other days — some are "good" news days and others not. Let's hope it's a quiet day.

1shott, I hope my line of questioning has not dissuaded you from continuing to read our posts for amusement. I suspect you're looking for something more than a belly laugh but I'll take you at your word.

FWIW, I've only discovered this forum a few weeks ago myself. The thing that impressed me was the stated desire of the moderators to keep this space free from the usual fun and games so typical of other religious discussion forums. The moderator seems intent on this being a place for serious discussion. So far, I've found that to be the case. I have posted some rather unconventional views and have not experienced any inordinately harsh reaction.

This really does seem to be a place for serious people to have serious discussions. Again, I'm new here but from what I've seen this doesn't seem to be a place where gamesmanship is really appreciated. It appears that a lot of the threads you've started in other areas of this board (yes, I confess, I looked up your history) are attempts to start conversations and make connections with people. There's nothing wrong with that. But in this forum — again, just based on my limited experience — I'd say don't be surprised if people take your questions seriously.

Finally, 1shott, if I have been harsh in responding to  you, I apologize. Take care, and don't worry about June 6 . . .
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yet you still bothered to ask about 666 . . . Well, fear not, God will not bring forth his wrath on June 6th, 2006, more than any other. We can all pray that Gravitas1's concerns won't be realized and that the Islamic terrorists won't choose this day for an attack. Otherwise, I trust the day will be not any different from other days — some are "good" news days and others not. Let's hope it's a quiet day.

1shott, I hope my line of questioning has not dissuaded you from continuing to read our posts for amusement. I suspect you're looking for something more than a belly laugh but I'll take you at your word.

FWIW, I've only discovered this forum a few weeks ago myself. The thing that impressed me was the stated desire of the moderators to keep this space free from the usual fun and games so typical of other religious discussion forums. The moderator seems intent on this being a place for serious discussion. So far, I've found that to be the case. I have posted some rather unconventional views and have not experienced any inordinately harsh reaction.

This really does seem to be a place for serious people to have serious discussions. Again, I'm new here but from what I've seen this doesn't seem to be a place where gamesmanship is really appreciated. It appears that a lot of the threads you've started in other areas of this board (yes, I confess, I looked up your history) are attempts to start conversations and make connections with people. There's nothing wrong with that. But in this forum — again, just based on my limited experience — I'd say don't be surprised if people take your questions seriously.

Finally, 1shott, if I have been harsh in responding to  you, I apologize. Take care, and don't worry about June 6 . . .

First off, I dont care nor do I fear the number 666. I find it AMUSING.

I am looking for nothing, I have all I need.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
First off, I dont care nor do I fear the number 666. I find it AMUSING.

I am looking for nothing, I have all I need.

OK. You're a truly blessed man. Take care, my friend . . .
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#27]
My old Boss had hte ID # 666 andhe was as EVIL as they come, the Jury even found him evil and guilty!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  7:06=6:66.  It's what they wanted
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  7:06=6:66.  It's what they wanted

Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes. I get it now. Pretty clever . . .
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Personally, I hope judgement day falls on that day and we get to watch you unbelievers cast into hell.

Hey, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Personally, I hope judgement day falls on that day and we get to watch you unbelievers cast into hell.

Hey, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Sweet, and I hope the day after, when nothing happens the day before, a new law is passed, you now must submit finger prints, pics and submit to a background check to buy a bible, all bibles must be registered, you can posses no more than 2. Transfers must be approved and go through a licensed dealer, the fee is $200 per bible per transfer.

All post ban bibles are non transferable, and upon death of the registered owner, must be destroyed.

Churches are no longer tax exempt, they will pony up like everyone else.

All preachers or whatever title they give themselves, must be registered and licensed, fees are $1000 per year, they must submit prints, pics and submit to a background check.

have a nice day.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#32]
My wife is sitting here and I asked her what she will be doing on 6/6/6.  Her answer was - "you'll be buying me presents for my birthday!" - which is 6/8/6.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My wife is sitting here and I asked her what she will be doing on 6/6/6.  Her answer was - "you'll be buying me presents for my birthday!" - which is 6/8/6.

Sweet, Happy early B-day to her....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#34]
BEfore I converted I always got a laught at writing 666 in the Christian kids school books. I actually thought it scared them or something stupid like that.

Later after conversion and much maturing I discovered it was mostly the non Chistians that were obsessed with the number. I remember a few times people didnt want 6.66 for change after a purchase. They asked if I could take a penny off or add one to make it a different number. I asked and they said theyre were not religious or Christians. They were admittedly superstitious when it came to that number. I never did and never will understand some peoples fascination  with a  number, especially when they have no idea what it means. I dont even fully know what it means and dont really care a whole lot. If someone writes it in a an e-mail or chat in an attempt to get me as a Christian all scared, I laugh and remember when I was young and ignorant and did the same.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
BEfore I converted I always got a laught at writing 666 in the Christian kids school books. I actually thought it scared them or something stupid like that.

Later after conversion and much maturing I discovered it was mostly the non Chistians that were obsessed with the number. I remember a few times people didnt want 6.66 for change after a purchase. They asked if I could take a penny off or add one to make it a different number. I asked and they said theyre were not religious or Christians. They were admittedly superstitious when it came to that number. I never did and never will understand some peoples fascination  with a  number, especially when they have no idea what it means. I dont even fully know what it means and dont really care a whole lot. If someone writes it in a an e-mail or chat in an attempt to get me as a Christian all scared, I laugh and remember when I was young and ignorant and did the same.

So you call non beleivers ignorant, sweet.  Typical words from your kind.  I have seen many "christians" froth at the mouth at the sight or mention of 666, I think it is funny as all hell.

There is another religion whose members call non believers ignorant as well, maybe you guys are not all the differant.

Both religions need to lighten up and learn to laugh.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:19:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I let this one run for awhile. Let's keep it civil or I'm going to lock this thread.

Thanks for letting it run.

As you are aware, my first post was a joke, to bad some people dont have a sense of humor.

VA, go ahead and lock it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Me and a friend, one of the most spiritual, awesome guys i know, got sick of people in the church being afraid of the number 666, so one night we got drunk, i took a permenant purple majic marker and wrote it on his forehead, and then punched him in the face...  in that order.

It was fun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#39]
BOPR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top