Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 1:24:30 PM EDT
It was time for a new computer, so I did a little research and found what I thought was a good deal. I just bought this computer:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/901707/HP-Pavilion-p6720f-Desktop-Computer-With/

Got it and a HP 21.5 inch LCD monitor for $689. Is that a good deal?

Also, what do I need to upgrade, if anything? It will primarily be just a family computer, music, and maybe a little gaming....nothing hardcore. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:17:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TT4life:
Also, what do I need to upgrade, if anything? It will primarily be just a family computer, music, and maybe a little gaming....nothing hardcore. Thanks!

CPU memory and hard drive are all good. Looks like the only upgrade would be a graphics card for gaming, the following will tell you the best cards at various price points:

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:07:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

CPU memory and hard drive are all good. Looks like the only upgrade would be a graphics card for gaming, the following will tell you the best cards at various price points:

Thanks for info. I hate to sound like a idiot, but is a graphics card hard to install? I have never opened a CPU and installed something like that .
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:41:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MarkNH:

Thanks for info. I hate to sound like a idiot, but is a graphics card hard to install? I have never opened a CPU and installed something like that .

Nahh, they're not hard. Usually the biggest problem nowadays is finding one that isn't too big to fit in your computer
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:46:42 AM EDT
1 run pc decrapifyer (to remove all the un-wanted bloatware and trial versions of Norton, Office, etc)
2 configure automatic updates from Microsoft to run /download /install daily & make sure the firewall is running
3 install microsoft security essentials (free anti-virus from Microsoft)
4 install secunia personal software inspector (to keep all programs patched)
5 throw no-script & ad block plus on firefox for safer surfing
what else?

Enjoy. Seems like a pretty powerful system.
Top Top