Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2002 7:40:52 PM EDT
first one:  were, and if so why, the M16s' stocks taped in the movie Black Hawk Down?

second: would the stock of an AR15-type rifle stand up to being used as a hand-to-hand combat weapon.  i.e., could it withstand the force of being knocked against the skull of a bad guy without doing more damage to the firearm or the soldier swinging it that it did to the receiving skull?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
first one:  were, and if so why, the M16s' stocks taped in the movie Black Hawk Down?
View Quote

They are taped to form a top sling mount.  You can either use 100 mile an hour (duct) or 550 cord.

[url=http://communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/makeatopslingloop.msnw]how to add a top sling loop to your buttstock[/url]

second: would the stock of an AR15-type rifle stand up to being used as a hand-to-hand combat weapon.  i.e., could it withstand the force of being knocked against the skull of a bad guy without doing more damage to the firearm or the soldier swinging it that it did to the receiving skull?
View Quote

I dunno, Bushmaster say's mine Mil spec, and they use their M16's as step ladders.  I paid too much for mine to find out. [:D]

Honestly, I think so.  I've inadvertantly dropped mine several times (thank you Silent Sling)  having it bounce on dirt/concrete/ricks, ect.  Then I got the CQB Solutions sling. [:D]

edited to ad link to Maryland Shooters site
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
As I recall, the stocks were taped for the improvised rear sling attachments.

I have run through the bayonet assault course a few times, and used it to break many a fall or combat rush, but never to crack a head, other than my own.  

I have carried the M-16 on and off over 24 years and seen the rifles beaten to hell by trainees and rarely seen one broken by use.

Seen several burned up, run over by vehicles, and broken in airborne operations and I believe that it would hold up just fine to bustin' a few heads without sustaining excessive damage.

OTOH, it ain't a Garand, by any stretch.

Just my .02, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]

I think the sling system is one of the biggest faults of the AR system. They really should have a side mounted front swivel as standard.

Advantage: AK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top