Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2002 10:10:43 PM EDT
...on my stainless Combat Commander, from an LEO..:-)  Got pulled over and showed my CCW and said I had a weapon in the car.  The officer wanted me to hand it to him, but after I kind of looked like "Are you sure you want me to reach for that?" he says...uhh, why don't you just step out and I'll get it...lol.  Anyway, so I tell him it's cocked and locked, he looks at it, says Nice Gun.  Too bad I got a ticket anyway...:-(  Can't win em all
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Why?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Why? would you offer such information?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Tough situation!

If your legal what do you have to worry about?

I could see saying you have a loaded weapon in the car to the cop to show respect and make things easier.

Hell, maybe telling the cop you are cocked and locked will show you are good guy and the cop might give you a break. I mean your a gun guy and so is he, he's just doing his job to get his wife and 2 kids through life.

But maybe he was offended that you showed quickly that you had a weapon. Maybe he was a cop that is all for disposing civilian  weapons, just as long as that doesn't affect his personal stash.

You never know what kind of cop you are going to get. Your choice on what you were going to say was exactly that, your choice.

Here in Oregon, I don't have to tell a cop I my HK is on my hip, and I choose to not tell them for my own reasons. (yes I have a CCW!)

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm kind of confused by the responses to kicker9898's post.  

Here in Texas you have to give them your CCL and DL at the same time when asked for id if you are carrying.  If not carrying, you just present your DL (law was changed - it used to be that you had to present both regardless of whether you were carrying at the time or not).  **I** would choose to present both anyway - duh - they know you have a CCL anyway.

I have always, 100% of the time, EVERY time been asked if I had my weapon with me.  You are FORCED BY LAW to offer that information if the officer asks in Texas.  That's what is taught in CCL class.

That being said - I am almost positive that having a good attitude and behaving properly/safely (not grabbing for the gun bag/keeping hands visible/turning on my interior lights at night, ect...), and having the CCL have gotten me out of six or seven tickets.  Only once have I been separated from my weapon (told to get out of the car).

Cooperation and courtesy with LEO's is appreciated.

Story: going to pick up my kid at school one block away - forgot my gun bag (MY BAD!) that contains wallet and licenses too.  Speeding, got pulled over, gave DL #, cop ran #, got upset with me for not informing him that I had CCL, I informed him that I REALLY tried to keep up with firearms laws and that you only have to provide CCL to LEO in Texas if you are carrying, he gets a little hot and tells me I'm wrong!  I said I wouldn't argue, he gives me a warning, I pick up my kid and get home, knock on my door, answer door and it's the same officer.

He had come by to appologize and tell me that I was right regarding when I had to present my CCL!!!  He called his shift supervisor to get the lowdown after he had stopped me and the supervisor had informed him of the change in the law.

I told him I really appreciated his time and wished him safety and a good day.

Just like ALL people, some cops are power trippin' assholes.

but...

Some are NOT!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:50:09 AM EDT
[#6]
If your legally carrying, it can save you alot of grief if you notify the officer your carrying whether it's the law or not, not to mention just plain civil of you. Chances are if the cop discovers your packing and you didn't inform him, he's going to draw down on you. Most people would prefer to avoid this scenario. If your legally carrying, you know, your registered with the state, meaning your allowed to have a gun on you. Anybody so paranoid as to not notify a police officer(to avoid a potentially tragic/lethal misunderstanding) during a traffic stop and is legally carrying, probably wouldn't apply for the permit in the first place. Remember, LEO consider traffic stops one of thier highest risk type encounters. Most are already running various possible scenarios when they're walking up to your vehicle, they don't like to be surprised, especially by someone packing a gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am confused too - for the same reason.  He probably has to offer that information by law in his state, though I am not sure about OK.

By the way kentstate4, if you are really in Alaska it's the law in your state too!
View Quote

I would like to see this info? Really NOME.ALASKA sir if your writing a book.

p.s. leave my chapter out. hehe
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a web that is for just this issue, for concealed carry laws, and for links to all 50 states in the United States web sites so one can do there own search for firearms laws. The web site address is http://www.packing.org

I also to have a concealed hangun license for the State of Oregon. Even though it is not the law in oregon to show CHL when pulled over, it is best to give this information to the officer that pulled you over, even though they have the information right there on there computer screene. It is of common courtisy, and is a good safety measure to take for the officer and the one that has the concealed weapons permit.

Safety is the number one issue at hand. Besides why hide it, they already know you have the license anyway. I have lost count of how many tickets I have gotten out of by just being upfront and honest to the officer, Showing my license, and just plain out admitting yes I was going 20 miles over the speed limit officer, you are right I broke the law. Law enforcement officers are normal people doing a very hard job, and dont get paid enough for it.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Did not know about the TX law change.  I will likely show both IDs anyway.

Last fall I am headed to bow hunt in West Texas, got in a hurry to get there, and got pulled over for speeding.  I gave the trooper my DL and CCL.  He asks what I have and where.  I tell him about the .38 on my left ankle, 9mm in the console, .45 under the seat, 12 gauge pump in back floor board.  He raises an eyebrow, smiles, and asks me if the war has already started or I am going to start one myself!  Heck, I was better armed than he was!

Deserved the ticket, but didn't get one.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#10]
In Texas,  your CHL pops up on the screen right away. That said,  as an officer I consider it common courtesy if you tell me.  It's a big safety issue, as I take guns from criminals all the time,  and the information helps me weed out the good guys with guns. If you don't tell me and I don't get the word from dispatch in time,  you  are going to get a Beretta up your nose when I spot it.  I have only had one problem with a CHL holder since the CC law came into effect, but that was more alcohol related than gun related.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]
According to [url]http://www.packing.org[/url] :

officer notification is mandatory if you're carrying in Oklahoma.

Same for Alaska.

BTW, I'm sure it'll be a *very* short chapter, kentstate4... [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#12]
When an officer in my state pulls someone over and runs their plates the ccw info comes up to.  That way they are edgy right off the bat.  I choose to give my permit along with the license.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are carrying in Oklahoma and get stopped, it is the law that you imediately inform the officer you are legally carrying.

The number one way to piss off a police officer in this state is not to tell them you have a permit--especially a highway patrolman.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#14]
A number of great reasons to skip the people registration BS (CCW permit) and go to the Vermont system.

I would NEVER tell a cop I am armed.  None of his business.  He should assume I am, it is my right.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why? would you offer such information?
View Quote

Regulations for the CCW (this is in SC) require you to inform the officer if you are carrying in the car.  funny thing is if you have a CCW permit but no gun that day you dont have to tell him. however guns in cases in the back of your car dont count as CCW.

it may be the same for him in OK
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, Free Man,  don't get too upset when that officer,  who just met you 30 seconds ago and does not know you from Adam,  slams you to the concrete to keep the "Suspect"  (That's you) from drawing your weapon.  After all, it's his "right" to remove all your teeth with an Asp of he thinks you are going for a gun.  Fact:  good and bad guys carry guns.  There are a lot more bad guys than good guys.  If you won't assist the officer in identifying you as a good guy,  don't gripe about the consequences.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I have never been hassled by an officer in Texas when carrying concealed. I have always handed over both DL and CHL at the same time, and I have never been disarmed yet. I have had a couple of cool gun-related conversations with fellow shooters in uniform, though.

I even got into a little 1911 (antique metal) vs. Glock (combat tupperware) debate with a Plano PD officer once. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I also to have a concealed hangun license for the State of Oregon. Even though it is not the law in oregon to show CHL when pulled over, it is best to give this information to the officer that pulled you over, even though they have the information right there on there computer screene. It is of common courtisy, and is a good safety measure to take for the officer and the one that has the concealed weapons permit.

[red]Safety is the number one issue at hand.[/red] Besides why hide it, they already know you have the license anyway. I have lost count of how many tickets I have gotten out of by just being upfront and honest to the officer, Showing my license, and just plain out admitting yes I was going 20 miles over the speed limit officer, you are right I broke the law. [red]MOST[/red]Law enforcement officers are normal people doing a very hard job, and dont get paid enough for it.
View Quote

Ditto.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, Free Man,  don't get too upset when that officer,  who just met you 30 seconds ago and does not know you from Adam,  slams you to the concrete to keep the "Suspect"  (That's you) from drawing your weapon.  After all, it's his "right" to remove all your teeth with an Asp of he thinks you are going for a gun.  Fact:  good and bad guys carry guns.  There are a lot more bad guys than good guys.  If you won't assist the officer in identifying you as a good guy,  don't gripe about the consequences.  
View Quote

..... and that would be the attitude we would like to avoid.  Cops that automaticly assume your a bad guy, boy, havnt met any of those.  johninaustin, maybe you should take some vacation.  Get some counseling.

Soooo because you/they have a badge they have the right to beat the crap out of someone on suspicion?  How come I cant to that.  I need to get one of those magical badges.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Shaupman,  that is a moronic attitude to have.  Maybe you should seek counseling.  Let me try this again.  Bad guys carry guns a lot more than good guys. Bad guys will kill you.  If I see a gun under a shirt and easly accessable,  I should just ignore it? How am I supposed to cull you out from a potential murderer??  Because you obviously took a bath lately?  Because you drive a Late model car?  How exactly am I supposed to know that critical little bit of information, (CHL=good guy) if YOU DON'T PROVIDE IT?

Maybe a flow chart would be clearer?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would NEVER tell a cop I am armed.  None of his business.  He should assume I am, it is my right.
View Quote

... I agree. Unless asked about it I won't divulge. One time an LEO asked why I didn't inform him.  I simply reminded him that it would have already been too late for him if I was on the wrong side of the law.
Besides, in AZ you only have to if asked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top