BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2002 4:17:25 PM EDT

Gore Decries Bush's Iraq War Push

By IAN STEWART
.c The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Al Gore harshly criticized President Bush's push for war against Iraq, saying it has hurt the United States' standing and could dangerously undermine the rule of law around the world.

``After Sept. 11, we had enormous sympathy, goodwill and support around the world,'' Gore said Monday. ``We've squandered that, and in one year we've replaced that with fear, anxiety and uncertainty, not at what the terrorists are going to do but at what we are going to do.''

In his first major speech on the Iraq situation, the once and possibly future Democratic presidential candidate accused Bush of abandoning the goal of a world where nations follow laws.

``That concept would be displaced by the notion that there is no law but the discretion of the president of the United States,'' he said.

``If other nations assert the same right, then the rule of law will quickly be replaced by the reign of fear,'' and any nation that perceives itself threatened would feel justified in starting wars, he said.

Gore also told an enthusiastic Commonwealth Club crowd he would decide in December whether to challenge Bush again for the presidency in 2004.

Republicans quickly pounced on the speech as evidence of Gore's weakness.

``It seemed to be a speech more appropriate for a political hack than a presidential candidate by someone who clearly fails to recognize leadership,'' said Jim Dyke, a Republican National Committee spokesman.

Gore always has supported overthrowing Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and was one of the few Senate Democrats who voted in favor of the Gulf War resolution after Iraq attacked Kuwait. He said he felt betrayed by the first President Bush's ``hasty withdrawal from the battlefield.''

But like other leading Democrats, Gore has expressed reservations in recent months about military action against Iraq, suggesting the diplomatic costs would be extremely high.

His speech Monday was much more critical, warning of ominous and untold consequences, ranging from a short-term power vacuum that could increase the danger of chemical and biological attacks, to the creation of legions of enemies angry and fearful about U.S. domination.

``If we end the war in Iraq the way we ended the war in Afghanistan, we could easily be worse off than we are today,'' Gore said.

Gore described his speech as an effort to lay out an alternative to the course of action pursued by the Bush administration.

Even before securing United Nations support for a multinational war against Iraq, Bush asked Congress to approve the use of ``all means that he determines to be appropriate, including force,'' in a unilateral effort to topple Saddam Hussein.

Gore urged Congress not to give the president such a broad mandate.

``It needs to be narrowed,'' said Gore, adding that Congress should urge Bush to go back to the U.N. Security Council and secure the ``broadest possible international support'' for a regime change in Iraq.

Meanwhile, Gore said, ``Bush should not allow anything to distract us from the mission of avenging the murder of 3,000 Americans.''

Also Monday, former President Carter criticized Bush's stance on Iraq, saying military action without the blessing of the United Nations would be a grave mistake that would put America in danger.

``I'm quite concerned'' about the White House's pursuit of Saddam Hussein without the support of many of its allies from the Persian Gulf War, Carter said after a speech at the University of Virginia.

``It is a radical departure from traditions that have shaped our nation's policy by Democratic and Republican presidents for more than 50 years,'' Carter told reporters.

09/23/02 18:41 EDT

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
How's the Peanut Gallery treatin' ya, Al?  10 years of UN cooperation and inaction yielded a pretty disappointing result, and you want to stay that course?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Al Gore is a fucking loser.
No more need be said.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, isn't that the whole point? To make the world afraid of the United States. If we want things to be the way that we want them other countries need to fear us. We should be fair, but also be able to strike with overwhelming force if the need arises. Other countries should be afraid of crossing the United States of America. If that had been the case in the past we wouldn't be in the situation with Iraq and possibly the terrorist attacks would have never happened. That is the whole meaning of "Walk softly and carry a big stick".

Most of the countries in the world only understand one thing and that one thing is military might. We should crush our enemies and fiercly protect our allies.

If you attack us, if you attack our allies, if you support terrorism you should be afraid, because the United States of America is comming and hell is comming with us.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Gore Decries Bush's Iraq War Push
View Quote

Why am I not surprised?

Consider this "Twilight Zone" headline that might have been if Gore had won: Bush Decries Gore's Iraq War Push

Not likely!

The headline would likely be: "Gore increases pressure on Southern and Western states authorities to find illegal gun owners responsible for attacking Eastern Cities on 9-11-2001"
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Is AL too old to be drafted?  hee,hee,hee...
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gore always has supported overthrowing Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and was one of the few Senate Democrats who voted in favor of the Gulf War resolution after Iraq attacked Kuwait. He said he felt betrayed by the first President Bush's ``hasty withdrawal from the battlefield.''
View Quote

Yeah, right I'm sure you were heartbroken.

Al Gore is such a lying sack of shit.  Bush DIDN'T take Bagdhad because that's what he felt the UN and Arabs wanted; he felt taking Bagdhad would have overstepped his mandate for war.  Because we listened to those a-holes, we still have to deal with Saddam.

So now, Gore all of a sudden cares what the Arabs and UN think? If he felt betrayed in 1991, that means he was disappointed we DIDN'T flout their wishes.

Gore thinks this will hurt the overall war on terror, because we wont be able to get cooperation from the Arabs?  Guess what Al- Iran, Syria, and Saudi Arabia are not interested in helping us.  They're not going to help us out of the goodness of their hearts or because they think terrorism is bad.

If we take out Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Saudi Arabia will see we mean business, we're serious about stopping this terrorism BS, and they'll put the kibosh on sponsoring that activity for fear of losing their tyrannical regimes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Gore is full of it, i am suprised he wasnt at berkely univ. when he announced this.

WHO cares what he thinks anyway?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
What a load of schitt...liberalism at it's best.

Hey Al, suck my dick.

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Meanwhile, Gore said, ``Bush should not allow anything to distract us from the mission of avenging the murder of 3,000 Americans.''
View Quote

Ohhhh, Gore the bloodthirsty avenger!  Oh my, we can't rest until we get revenge!

"...should not allow anything to distract us from...avenging...3000"

Nothing?  How about preventing the murder of the [b]next[/b] 3000, or the next [b]300,000[/b].

This is why all democrats should be deported for treason, preemptively.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hey Al, suck my dick.

View Quote

What he said, but I'd prefer Al's daughter did the last part....
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is AL too old to be drafted?  hee,hee,hee...
View Quote

Alright whos got that pic of Al in Vietnam looking down the muzzle of his M16 while adjusting the sling?

No worries though, cause the rifle has no mag it......not gonna be much help defending his platoon, is he?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
What do you expect from a two-faced, Klinton-second string, REMF Cocksucker???
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#13]
[b]``If other nations assert the same right, then the rule of law will quickly be replaced by the reign of fear,'' and any nation that perceives itself threatened would feel justified in starting wars, he said.[/b]

excuse me? [size=5][red]PERCEIVED??[/size=5][/red]

Gore you fucking numbnuts!  You are the biggest jack off this country has ever seen!!  You are a fucking disgrace and you will [b]NEVER[/b] be President of this or any fucking country!!!!

well, maybe Iraq, you fuck!!!

edited to say: he is the second biggest JACK OFF. my apologies.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Heard about this on the way home. The good people of S.F. were kind enough to play "Hail To The Chief" when he walked on stage. [puke]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I guess Gore wont be grabbing a rifle and joiming his ass pirate buddy BJ Clinton will he?
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#16]
And yet there are some who post here who think that this clown can beat Bush in 2004[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Somebody please post that pic of Gore in the jungle looking into the barrel of his M-16.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://www.conservative.org/al_in_nam_s.jpg[/img]

[blue]Young Al Gore demonstrates the same inquisitive mind that led to his invention of the Internet[/blue]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Wasnt he just a reporter in 'Nam ? The libs always make him out to be some big war hero or some shit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wasnt he just a reporter in 'Nam ?
View Quote

Bwaaaaahahahahah....

Yep !
That photograph of Journalist/Warrior Al Gore in Vietnam was probably taken by one of his bodyguards.

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you OSPREY21!!

lol.

That is how I always picture Gore when he opens up his mouth to make an 'official' statement.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 3:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]
i believe that picture, in its entirety, shows Al Whore's typewriter by his feet.

[b][size=5]GORE, YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT.[/b][/size=5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Gore's speech seems to be giving aid and comfort to the enemy.  Send him to Guantanamo!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Gore is irrelevant.

Oh, hey Al, you lost the election![owned]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#25]
an open letter to fmr. V.P. Al Gore:

Al, if you are reading this, there are some things you should know:  There are some bad people out there that flew some jetliners packed with Americans into 2 skyskrapers in New York City last year.  A lot of Americans  died.   These people have all sworn to kill every American citizen anytime, anywhere in the world.  They believe that, if they do, they are guaranteed a place in heaven.

Al, in places like Mogadishu, and Baghdad, they don't like us.  In fact, they don't care about our principles, or the fact that our cars get a better average gas mileage than most, or that many of our paper products come from recycled post-consumer waste.  They don't want to be told how to live by anyone, especially the liberal American elites.  They would much prefer to enslave their own citizens, deprive them of rights and keep their sweaty little hands on the reins of power as long and by any means they can.

Please, Al, stop pretending you are morally superior to people like our president and others who aren't afraid to see the world like it really is.  We may disagree on the merits of growing hemp in America, but not acknowledging what is occurring outside our borders is just plain dangerous.

No one wants to kill Iraqi children, but who will protect the American children?  Who was able to protect American families from the 9-11 attacks?

Please Al, start making some sense.  Do it for the children.

mcnielsen

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#26]
What pisses me off is the liberal media's reporting of this travesty.

Last night, they started the story with GW making a statement about the situation. Then they took a Gore sound bite that refuted what GW said and used it next. Then they spoke a bit about how Gore was considering a run in 2004. Then used more Gore sound bites. So, in the end, we hear 4 sound bites from Gore and one from GW.

This kind of thing is why I voted for GW and not Libertarian.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hey Al, suck my dick.

View Quote

Hey N-G,be careful what you say to Al he just might do it,LOL
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would that all the Libertarians here had your wisdom.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What pisses me off is the liberal media's reporting of this travesty.

Last night, they started the story with GW making a statement about the situation. Then they took a Gore sound bite that refuted what GW said and used it next. Then they spoke a bit about how Gore was considering a run in 2004. Then used more Gore sound bites. So, in the end, we hear 4 sound bites from Gore and one from GW.

View Quote

This is why we now have Fox and the Internet. Fox News Channel and the Internet probably prevented Gore from stealing the 2000 election. It doesn't really matter that other news outlets still publish their biased crap. MSNBC is so bad its really lost creadability and there are persistant rumors that its loosing money and will be shut down. And both NBC and ABC have made noises about shutting down ALL their news operations, apart from their tabloid shows. That was the basis behind the "Nightline"-"Letterman" fiasco.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Rikwriter everytime you slam Lib's this is what you get from now on.....thanks Imbroglio
"Bush opposed repeal of the 1994 assault weapon ban and indicated his openness to Clinton’s call to raise the age of legal handgun ownership from 18 to 21." -L.A. Times May 1, 1999

"Bush expressed support for some gun control measures, including the ban on assault weapons"- The Washington Post Apr 25, 1999                "Bush said he supported efforts in the Republican-led Congress to raise the legal age for purchase of a handgun to 21 from 18 and to ban large ammunition clips."-                 Reuters, “Bush favors raising.” Aug 27, 1999

"Maintain state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms."- Vote Smart NPAT 1998 Jul 2, 1998

"And the President would also ban importation of high-capacity ammunition clips, and close the gun show loophole."- Press Briefing by Ari Fleischer, February 6, 2001

"[The 2nd Amendment] does not mean that reasonable restrictions cannot be imposed to prevent unfit persons from possessing firearms or to restrict possession of                firearms particularly suited to criminal misuse." - In a November 9, 2001 memo appended to 2 briefs to the Supreme Court urging them not to hear Haney or Emerson
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Rikwriter everytime you slam Lib's this is what you get from now on.....
View Quote

>irrelevant and slanted bullshit snipped<

Doesn't matter.  Whatever hyperbole you spew about Bush, Gore was and is worse.  And no one else was going to be elected.  No hard-core Libertarian has any answer for that except "well, if ENOUGH people voted Libertarian..."
No shit.  And if enough people flushed their toilets at once they would cripple the sewage system in their city.  But enough people are NOT GOING TO VOTE LIBERTARIAN.  VERY VERY FEW PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY BELIEVE WHAT LIBERTARIANS BELIEVE.  It's a shame that some Libertarians are too dense to realize this.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#33]
ALGORE, he's back? Just goes to prove that some people don't know when to quit. Looks like he's the best that the Dems have for Pres in '04
    Hey Libs, please don't make the same mistake again this time. Your guy is NEVER going to get elected and NOBODY cares what statement you're trying to make, really! There  is no and never will be any viable third party even in sugar-plum-bumpkin-land.
    ANY Republican is better than ANY Democrap; you have to know this by now, unless you're living in a vacuum. I mean, have you really thought about "President ALGORE" or "President Hitlery Klinton"? Come on. What planet are you guys on anyway?

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.conservative.org/al_in_nam_s.jpg[/url]

[blue]Young Al Gore demonstrates the same inquisitive mind that led to his invention of the Internet[/blue]
View Quote

I love that pic! Hey Al, your rifle needs a mag in it! [shock]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Al, suck my dick.

View Quote

Hey N-G,be careful what you say to Al he just might do it,LOL
View Quote

The sad part is I bet ol' Al still thinks he won. When does anyone care what he has to say anyway?
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Al Gore. American hero:

[img]http://jewishworldreview.com/toons/varvel/varvel092602.jpg[/img]

[img]http://jewishworldreview.com/toons/ramirez/ramirez092602.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#37]
yep same old name-calling and other rubbish...well boys...when are you going to give up, when shrub signs the next AWB? Or when Asscroft decides that all gun-owners are terrorists? Don't answer, I'll wait. I will just sit here and watch the feds lead you down the path to more rape and plunder.......
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#38]
[b]hound![/b] You defend AlGore?

You think he's being a statesman?

And, G-d forbid that I should say this out loud on this Board, but there are greater things that face our nation besides the AWB.

As a matter of fact, since the AWB, the prices of even pre-ban weapons has remained fairly constant.

And the post bans? Cheaper than the pre-bans [u]ever[/u] were!

I doubt that the New World Order Police will care whther they are being fired on by pre-bans or post bans, the same bullets all strike blue helmets rather hard!

Eric The(Yes,SaveItTilAfter2004)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.conservative.org/al_in_nam_s.jpg[/url]

View Quote

From the position of his arms it looks to me like he's leaning slightly to the right of the bore and that the rifle is leaning away to his left.

I also do not believe that is a picture of Al
Gore because the length of the rifle is 39 inches and Al gore is +6'. Even taking into account the bend of the subjects body, he is no more than 6' tall. Besides, a 6' tall man wouldn't bend over like that to adjust a sling while he had a pack on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Nope Eric, I only defend one Pol---Ron Paul--everyone else is just a horse of a different color. I am sick and tired of seeing everyone defended Shrub like he is an angel and Gore is the devil. It ain't true. What if Al had passed the Patriot act? You guys would be marching to Washington. That's my whole point, you guys don't love freedom, you just love the republicans.....and will your affair loose it's luster after the new AWB? nope you will willingly go to the date-rape once more.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Still ranting hound?  I will pay serious attention to your ranting when you can address the points I made.  Until then, you're just another crank.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Rik what points......Hyperbole!!!! It is direct quotes from Shrub...answers from Hard-core libertarians.....here is your answer...no person shall initiate force...that's all...very few...bulldada...everyone is a believer when tax-time rolls around........AND as far as the National libertarian party......it is mostly bulldada also.....happy now....
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Rik what points......Hyperbole!!!! It is direct quotes from Shrub...answers from Hard-core libertarians.....here is your answer...no person shall initiate force...that's all...very few...bulldada...everyone is a believer when tax-time rolls around........AND as far as the National libertarian party......it is mostly bulldada also.....happy now....
View Quote

I will be happy when you can 1)write a coherent paragraph and 2) do so without using ellipses after every phrase.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
...here is your answer...no person shall initiate force...
View Quote

Gee, I guess September 11th, and Iraq's gleeful response, wasn't enough.

Looks like you're going to need a nuclear weapon with "From Saddam With Love" written on it going off in NYC to convince you.

Remind me never to ask you to cover my six, because you won't until someone has already shot at us...
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Hello Zaphod.....Nope buddy...don't take that tack....17 Saudi's On the list...no Iraqi's....the Saudi's are fair game. And I wouldn't be crying at all if Arabia became a parking lot.......
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#46]
And once again rikky ignores everything and attacks. Cute. Do you have anything constructive to add or are you just going to attack me. Do you want to debate or cry like a little baby. Shrub said all of those quotes. Yes? And why are you still preaching the revelation of King George? There is not a hairs difference between him and Al and you know it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Hound, please answer "yes" or "no". Do you think that Iraq, with Saddam at the helm and armed with WMD, is a threat to the national security of the United States?

Standing by...
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#48]
yep, about number four on the list
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And once again rikky ignores everything and attacks. Cute. Do you have anything constructive to add or are you just going to attack me. Do you want to debate or cry like a little baby. Shrub said all of those quotes. Yes? And why are you still preaching the revelation of King George? There is not a hairs difference between him and Al and you know it.
View Quote

No, what I know is that there is a huge difference between them, despite what you would like to believe.  People like you are the reason we wound up with 8 years of Clinton...people who were naive and stupid enough to believe that there was no real difference between Clinton and Bush, so why not waste my vote on that nutburger Perot?
I point out your functional illiteracy because it is symptiomatic of the lack of analytical ability that leads to such leaps of illogic as you make in this thread.  You believe what you WANT to believe and never look too closely at it out of desperate fear you may have screwed up very badly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
yep, about number four on the list
View Quote

I'm giving you every chance in the book, here...

If Saddam with nukes is #4, please advise what #'s 1, 2, and 3 are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top