Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2013 7:35:45 AM EDT
It's hunting season and I'm starting to get my gear ready. I've owned Gore-Tex clothing through the years and in the past just used normal laundry detergent to wash, which seemed to work okay for a time. Last fall, a Gore-Tex jacket of mine started failing miserably in a heavy downpour while hunting. I ended up tossing it because the zipper was becoming problematic as well as it was plain worn out looking. I assumed it could not be salvaged.

So I'm going to start washing and treating my stuff the correct way. What products do I need and where can I get it. Walmart or similar stores would be preferred.

Konger
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Use that cool anti everything coating from Home Depot. Or just buy new clothes?

ETA: NeverWet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Just toss it in the dryer on high heat. The heat will re-seal it, at least that is what the USMC told us. I never had an issue with doing this. If you really want to go all out, spray it with camp dry, but it is not needed. You can get camp dry at Walmart for sure. If it rips you can patch it with heat and other strips of gor tex
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
the only product I know of that actually SAYS it is safe for Goe-TEX is Sport Wash.

http://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Sport-Wash-Bottle-wash/dp/B001DLF6C2

Wal Mart carries it and I've used it for years. Helps camo NOT fade too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
That is certainly worth a shot. On a side, thread stealing note, how important is it to use scent destroying soap on hunting clothes?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Goretex will always be waterproof due to the waterproof membrane that is built into the garment.
It will slowly loose it's water repelant coating over time. Best way to combat that is not use normal detergent, and to make sure and dry it in the dryer on low.

To clean, go get a Nikwax product. Tec-wash. This will clean it properly and keep the membrane healthy.
After being washed, get some TX direct wash in. This will get the water repelant coating back to normal.
I use Nikwax on most of my outdoors gear, it makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Nikwash Products have worked for me, the regular laundry soap degrades the goretex.
Usually there is a caretag on the garment when you buy it.
Their recommended product and care instructions
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Nikwash products.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Goretex will always be waterproof due to the waterproof membrane that is built into the garment.
It will slowly loose it's water repelant coating over time. Best way to combat that is not use normal detergent, and to make sure and dry it in the dryer on low.

To clean, go get a Nikwax product. Tec-wash. This will clean it properly and keep the membrane healthy.
After being washed, get some TX direct wash in. This will get the water repelant coating back to normal.
View Quote

THis is a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Use that cool anti everything coating from Home Depot. Or just buy new clothes?

ETA: NeverWet.
View Quote

This is a bad idea.  Neverwet does repel water, but it also will stain the surface of the garmet a dull white color.
It also wears off pretty fast.

I've used it on my truck cargo liner (cordura nylon) and it does repel and bead water like the videos, but makes it look horrible, which shouldn't be good for hunting clothes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

So Nikwash and TX are the products I need. Who carries them or do I need to order?

Konger

ETA: looks like I'm stuck driving to REI or ordering online.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Regular detergent clogs the pores in the Gore-tex.  Use Nikwax Techwash or McNett ReviveX Synthetic Fabric Cleaner, then dry on lo heat.  You can also use a product like Nikwax TX Direct to restore the durble water repellant finish on the outside of the fabric.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is certainly worth a shot. On a side, thread stealing note, how important is it to use scent destroying soap on hunting clothes?
View Quote

I hunt smelling of bacon grease and hungoverness in ancient wool check.  Work the wind and you will be fine.  Some guys are crazy about that stuff.  I generally don't give two poops about it.  I tend to be successful
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do this. With the addendum that I prefer the TX direct spray on. The wash in adds a bit of DWR to the interior of the clothing. It can effect the wicking nature of the material. I will put on the clothing, wet in down in the shower and then spray on the DWR. I stand there for a few minutes to let it dry, then hang it back up.

What you are experiencing OP is probably something called wetting out. The exterior material gets soaked. If feels like there is water in the garment but it is not actually passing through. Using heat and another DWR retreatment will solve this. It it is actually the goretex failing, remember that all goretex products have a lifetime guarantee for waterproofness. Contact goretex to figure out your next step.

Experience: Gear slinger and user and abuser of PTFE's and similar materials.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hunt smelling of bacon grease and hungoverness in ancient wool check.  Work the wind and you will be fine.  Some guys are crazy about that stuff.  I generally don't give two poops about it.  I tend to be successful
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I normally smell of bacon, so I should be good to go.
That is what I was thinking. I ususally don't get all the crazy gradgets and gear that I see a lot of people have. I have always tracked and stalked before, but now I have to do the stupid tree stand deal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#17]
How much scent it takes to spook an animal depends on how much the animal is around human scent. Suburban deer are seem to be more tolerant. We use purex free and clear all the time anyway so that is what my clothes are washed in. Dove sensitive skin soap is fragrance free and a Thai deodorant stone. Rubber boots (mainly to keep from getting wet) and I am good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top