Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 7:22:32 PM EDT
The truck needs new shoes soon and I have been shopping around.
I use it off road, desert trails, fire roads, etc...
I have it narrowed to a couple of tires.  The BFG AT KOs and the Goodyear Silent Armor.
I have had BFGs before and while they work well, they also tend to go downhill fast in the second half of their tread life.
A friend has the Goodyears and has been very happy with them but I really haven't seen many reviews on them.
Anyone have them ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What type of truck?  I am looking at putting these on my '04 Silverado.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Had them on the Ex's jeep.....worked great .....don't know about wear, relationship ended with about 10k on ther tires.  They did work great in the heavy rains down here, stuck like bubble gum.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Chevy 2500HD 4x4
I have heard good things about the Revos as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I had Wrangler Silent Armors on my truck for a few months (sold it).  Quiet on the road and they kicked total ass in the snow.  To top it off I got them buy one get one half-off from Conrad's.

ETA:  Since you have a 3/4-ton make sure you get the Pro Grade version.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I had them on an F250 and for the price I really wasn't very happy. All over the road miles and I don't drive like an idiot and had to replace them @ 33K
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I work at a tire shop and we move a lot of these and everyone is happy with them, no major defects or anything. I put a set on my truck: 00 3/4 ton Chevy. They ride very smooth and they are great in rain and snow. Wear is pretty good so far have about 15k on them and they are still good. If you do a lot of off roading I would stick with the BFG's  I don't think the silent armors stick as good in mud.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to tire rack.
They rank the tires in several categories, wear, handling, road noise, etc.
They also have customer reviews, which can be brutal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I had them on an F250 and for the price I really wasn't very happy. All over the road miles and I don't drive like an idiot and had to replace them @ 33K

That's why we called them oneyears when I worked in a tire shop.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Im on my second set of Goodyear MTR's and they are by far the best off / on road tire I have ever used.. They are the most smooth ride I have ever had with an AT tire.. Much better than the last 3 sets of BFG's  I had.. You will like them! Not all that noisy eather!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a brand new set on the M1009 CUCV Blazer I just got from Govt. Liquidation.  These things seem to perform excellent off road and on IMHO.  The ride is very smooth and much more quiet than I'm used to with AT or OR tires.  I can't attest to the treadwear since I just got the truck,  but I'm happy with them so far.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Screw them, go Yokohama!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh, the beat tire I have ever owned were super swampers  If you want to spend a few more bucks the TrXus line is awesome no matter what you throw its way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go to tire rack.
They rank the tires in several categories, wear, handling, road noise, etc.
They also have customer reviews, which can be brutal.

Or just lame.  Customer review of BFG AT:

These tires have a minimial air pressure of 55 P.S.I.
The truck rides like you are on bumpy railroad tracks.
This tires were taken of my truck after one week, and exchanged for the Longtrail's. Before the all terrain T/A K/O's I had five different BFGoodrich tires on several vechiles and loved everyone of them.

55 PSI minimum???  WTF is this guy smoking?  No wonder his truck was riding rough...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I put some of these on my Ranger a few months ago, excellent tires.  Rain,Snow traction very good.   Very quiet ride.   I highly recommend these.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I put a set of these on my Chevy and could not be more pleased.....very good traction on ice/snow...and excellent wear.

125.00 bucks a tire was an added bonus.

I've run Goodyears and Pirrellis...and was not at all impressed with either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a set of Toyo Open Country AT's on my fj80 landcruiser, working on 60k miles , unfortunatley they need to be replaced at the end of this summer and when I got a new quote .....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top