Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2001 3:17:09 PM EDT
I received an e-mail from DSA stating they have changed their policy regarding rifles sales to CA. They will now ship rifles to CA minus the pistol grip and with a 10-round mag. This applies to all their rifles, not just the new top-loading FAL with fixed 10-round mag they had planned to offer in CA.

This is good news because we were previously limited to Entreprise and custom built FALs, which can be expensive (Not counting Century, of course). So, if you want a quality STG58, now's the time. :)
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
not sure what to make of this...I don't know if I'm sold on the fal rifle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a copy of an Email they sent me last week:

"Dear *****,
   We are bringing a California compliant rifle to market next month (July).  We are calling it the SA58-T48.  Yes, it loads via a stripper clip top cover.  If you have an FFL that you like to do business with, just make sure we have a current copy of his license on file and as soon as these are ready we can get one out to you!!

Thank you,
Anne"

PS..
If anyone finds a dealer in Southern California selling these please let us know.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
blah... just a hunk of plastic. I'll buy a pistol grip, when im at the range I'll put one one and shoot. When i'm done, take the grip off and throw it in the back of my truck and lock up my rifle. I already have my home defense firearms, I dont need another with a pistol grip, I just need some more fun range rifles :)
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have already Emailed Turners and B&B Sales asking them to carry these rifles.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
You are not limited to the stripper clip top-loader as was the previous plan. According to DSA, you can order any rifle from their inventory and they will ship it to your dealer minus the pistol grip with a 10-round magazine, which they already produce. I don't remember if I read it here or at FAL Files, but someone mentioned seeing some guys at the range with the pistol grip duct taped to their hand. They would slide the grip on the pistol grip stud (you don't need the nut), fire their mag, and slide it off. This is certainly not the ideal solution, but they got away with it and didn't have to drive to Nevada to break-in and sight-in their rifle. I don't know if it's legal or not.

If you live in the Bay Area and don't have an FFL who will handle the transfer, I would suggest you call M&N Armory in Fremont as he is already a stocking Entreprise dealer and seems like the kind of guy who would do the transfer.

Anyway, the goal is to acquire SA rifles in CA. Maybe the FAL is not your first choice, but compared to having nothing it's a no brainer. :)
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...but someone mentioned seeing some guys at the range with the pistol grip duct taped to their hand. They would slide the grip on the pistol grip stud (you don't need the nut), fire their mag, and slide it off...
View Quote

Jesus, that's kinda sad.
[:(]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
thats dumb! not you guys the law's dumb. now this rifle is no more dangerous with a pistol
grip than without! i mean WTF. i feel for you
POW's in Kali.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
thats dumb! not you guys the law's dumb. now this rifle is no more dangerous with a pistol
POW's in Kali.
View Quote

For us, POW means "poor, outdated weapons".
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WhoMe?:
Quoted:
...but someone mentioned seeing some guys at the range with the pistol grip duct taped to their hand. They would slide the grip on the pistol grip stud (you don't need the nut), fire their mag, and slide it off...
View Quote

Jesus, that's kinda sad.
[:(]
View Quote

Wear some Depends, for when the AG-DOJ officer arrests you for a felony.  Right or wrong, felonies are $$$$$$$

Is there a DSA web site?
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]

[url]http://www.dsarms.com/default.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Chaingun, no kidding. Nevada sounds like a better deal to me. Besides, it's a fun trip.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You are not limited to the stripper clip top-loader as was the previous plan. According to DSA, you can order any rifle from their inventory and they will ship it to your dealer minus the pistol grip with a 10-round magazine
View Quote

I would rather just buy the ready & legal to shoot SA58-T48. When I move out of California I will replace the modified mag release with a standard mag release.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]

If you live in the Bay Area and don't have an FFL who will handle the transfer, I would suggest you call M&N Armory in Fremont as he is already a stocking Entreprise dealer and seems like the kind of guy who would do the transfer.
View Quote

If these are the same guys who are selling SW5s and SW3s with the pistol gripped hacked off at NoCal gunshows, then yes I would think they would be the "kind of guy" who would do the transfer.  Oh yeah, they're also asking 2k plus for these rifles...
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Listen to xsquid on this one...
I did business with M&N once, and would never recommend the experience.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never done business with M&N Armory, but Entreprise recommended them to me once. If they suck, then by all means avoid them. I'll take you guy's word for it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't remember if I read it here or at FAL Files, but someone mentioned seeing some guys at the range with the pistol grip duct taped to their hand. They would slide the grip on the pistol grip stud (you don't need the nut), fire their mag, and slide it off. This is certainly not the ideal solution, but they got away with it and didn't have to drive to Nevada to break-in and sight-in their rifle. I don't know if it's legal or not. :)
View Quote

This is about as sad as having an AR15 in England.  I got an e-mail from a UK addressee who said they can have ARs there, but no gas operation on them and they have to shoot single shot only.  Sad stuff, but this Kali thing is the pitts.   [puke]  [puke]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, Norm at M&N is a pretty shady guy.  But I did buy my franken ar from him and actually got a pretty good deal and it shoots great and has been stone reliable.  Of course this is after the gun I originaly purchased magically disappeared.  And then offered me a case of Wolf ammo for two hundred bucks.  [rolleyes]
I would tend to avoid this shop, though he is willing to stock whatever he can get away with. Of course at a ripoff price.  Wanted over a grand for one of those POS Century G3s (which I own).  Ugh.

BTW, Traders in San Leandro has S&B .223 for $139 a thousand this week.  I've had really good experiences with this ammo.

I might try to talk the wife into one of those DSA things.  Wish me luck.  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
not sure what to make of this...I don't know if I'm sold on the fal rifle.
View Quote

You ought to try one. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. They are fine rifles[:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#21]
After comparing Entreprise Arms and DSA, I like the Entreprise guns better and the price is more reasonable.

At their site [url]http://www.entreprise.com/[/url], they will sell any rifle without the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#22]
orginally posted by Mattja:

I've never done business with M&N Armory, but Entreprise recommended them to me once. If they suck, then by all means avoid them. I'll take you guy's word for it.
View Quote

I bought a stripped colt lower from MN armory under the wire last year.  They seemed to be the only one I could find that would do it, so I will give them a plus for having balls .  While that was cool, the rest of their service kind of sucked.  They took almost a month to send me the lower after they said they would ship it the next day and then did some other things I better not discuss in public.

The DSA news is cool.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#23]
A while back I got the Entreprise Govt. Model STG58C from Entreprise for $999 (retail is $1199). The same DSA model, the STG58A, is $799 (retail is $995 but people seem to be paying around $800). These rifles are basically the same, built from Steyr parts kits using a US receiver and 6 additional US parts to be legal. The DSA is about $200 cheaper and comes with a hardshell case. The Entreprise was shipped in a cardboard box. If you want to use your surplus 20-round mags, you have to replace 2 additional parts on the Entreprise because they count the follower and floorplate as US parts. So, if you go with a new US pistol grip and cocking handle, that's probably an additional $60.

Clearly, if you're after an STG58, DSA is cheaper and some would say of superior quality (at least the receiver). If you want one of the high end models with match barrel (not surplus) and all that, they can be close to $1500 from either company.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#24]
The mags for these FALs, they look similar to M1A, can M1As be used or modified to work in these DSAs? If they these M1A can be made to work I would be interested in these. Now as far as CA laws go would this have to be registered as an assault rifle? Or would it be no different that buying a new Mini 14? Thanks for your help guys
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
At this time they cannot be registered at all. This means if you choose to shoot it, you have to go out of state or shoot it without the pistol grip, which is not an easy thing to do. People are hoping they will be added to RR89, which means once registered, you can attach the pistol grip and be legal.

As far as mags, I don't know if you can modify M14 mags to fit. I think M14 mags are a little wider and of course the feed lips, follower, and catch are different. With M14 mags going for $45 and FAL mags for $10, it's almost criminal to butcher the M14 mags to fit the FAL. But you have to do what you have to do. Anyway, I don't know if they can be made to fit. My guess is they cannot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I shot Resistor's FAL on July 4th at Burro Canyon Shooting Park. The only complaint I had was the damn handguards heating up real bad. It was a very hot day though... I bailed out of there early.

I'm glad Burro Canyon is open for business again.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
POW's in Kali.
View Quote
Exactly!  If you simply take off the pistol grip it is legal.  This proves this is not about crime control, this is just some weenies exerting their power.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a DSA receiver with a styer kit from tappco lots of US parts,cut down barrel with DSA BRAKE new 20 rounder mags from DSA for only $8.... What a 308...
Don't fall in the cheap trap!!
FN-FAL's on anything other then DSA(best) or Inbel are just crap!!!
Do the work yourself and have a great shooter and the pride of knowing you made "the right arm of the free world"

"You can't miss fast enough"
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Put on syn stocks.
Tapco has nice looking ones for just $19.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Why convert m14 mags if you can get good mags for $5 or new for $8
as my 4 year old girl says "HELLO"
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
PS..
If anyone finds a dealer in Southern California selling these please let us know.
View Quote

CD Firearms in Burbank will order you one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top