Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 2:48:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 2:50:22 PM EST by Pthfndr]
Mondays at my range are usually pretty slow. A good day to do load tests, sight in the latest C&R rifle, or like I did today, shoot some targets off hand for a postal match. Only a handfull of people there today.

So this guy, maybe in his early to mid forties (younger than me anyway) comes in with his son, who it turns out just turned thirteen. Now most dad's with a kid drag out a .22 of some kind. This guy unpacks some kind of BLACK AK with 30 round detachable mag, M1 Carbine, and one of the nicest looking Russian SKS I've ever seen! That's it. No .22, no "deer rifle", nothing with a scope. They were about five benches down from me with no one between us. I watch and listen as the dad observes his son loading and shooting, and practicing all around good gun handling skills. The kid is hitting good scores on his target and has good form. Not leaning way back like he's afraid of the rifles. The kid really liked shooting the AK During one of the cease fires the dad comes over to ask me about the rifle I had on the bench at the time. I told him it was great to see a father and son shooting "those" kinds of firearms. Asked him if he had an AR and sadly, he said no.

Well, I never go to the range without at least one of my ARs no matter what my real reason for going to the range is. So I drag out my Mforgery with SIR rail and Aimpoint. and offered to let them shoot it. They didn't hesitate to say yes. The kid took to it like a fish to water and came away with a nice grin on his face. So did the dad after he shot it.

Which just goes to show, even in CA there are people who still approve of "assault weapons" and enjoy shooting them, and don't ask "What ya need that for?"

Larry, if you read this I think you're a great dad for taking your son Dillon shooting and making sure he knows that a semi auto, mag fed, black rifle is NOT a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:57:18 PM EST
OMG here in California?? you didnt accidentaly step over the state line or something? thats the most amazing thing i have heard all day. theres nothing i like more than being at the range and seeing things like what youve just described.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:01:08 PM EST
Things must be slightly different up where you are Pthfndr. Down here in good 'ol liberal-south-bay, unless it's a calguns or arfcom shoot, no one ever approaches my bench or wants to talk to me when I have my black rifle out. It's almost like they pretend (or wishing) I'm not there.

When the Mini-14 or the .22 or the "deer gun" is out, somehow I'm less threatening and they would come for idle conversation during ceasefire.

Strange
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:11:49 PM EST
Whoa, thats weird. You must have unknowingly been in Nevada or something.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:15:26 PM EST
Rare to see someone bring out stuff like that at my range.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:22:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 10:23:00 PM EST by spork]
I hate seeing ARs at the range!

I cannot concentrate while they are around, and when I see them with 30 round mags I mentally slap myself for not getting into shooting earlier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:05:38 AM EST
Too bad if those folks continue to live in Kali-fornia, they will never be able to own a "black rifle."
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:15:31 AM EST
Good thing. Glad you had the experience.

Here, though, it's nothing special. I've lost track of the times people asked me "I'll let you shoot mine if I can shoot yours" at the range, when I go there. I think I may be personally responsible for at least 5-6 people buying their first AR because they shot mine, and because of other people I now know what it's like to shoot a Garand, SKS, AK (I ended up buying a WASR-10) and a M1A.

And handguns, too. Doing the "wanna trade for a magazine" has allowed me to shoot a Sig P220 (I WANT one!), several Grocks (no thanks), an HK (nice but too pricey), a S&W 29 .44mag and several cowboy type wheel guns.

The only time I had someone say no when I offered to let him shoot one of my handguns if I could shoot his was some guy with a broomhandle Mauser. Nice gun but the guy was just short of being a hermit type. Didn't talk to anyone, only said "no" when I asked him if I could shoot it, he shot two sessions and left with plent of ammo left. Kinda funky dude but I guess everyone isn't real outgoing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:20:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By Taxman:
Rare to see someone bring out stuff like that at my range.

You got to be shitting me?

This range PTHFNDR is talking about is VERY AR and AK friendly.

Great place. HEre in California we shoot ALL of our guns.

SOme people shoot at the range...others on the freeways and inner cities.

But we shoot them!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:24:55 AM EST
Top Top