Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 5:23:34 AM EST
Howdy folks,
Could anyone recommend a good locking overhead rifle rack that would work on a '95 Jeep Cherokee (no partition, of course)? I'd like something that would be (reasonably) secure against theft while the vehicle is unoccupied but have a discreet unlocking switch. Being able to have a mag (even 20rd) in the gun is a major plus. So far, I've looked online at:

Pro-gard G5040ut (-3?)
Big Sky ELS-270 + UCB (undercover bar) mount
Galls "VP217"

For perhaps understandable reasons, I haven't been able to get much info about these racks from retailers or the manufacturers. Does anybody have experience with these racks, or could you recommend another brand model. The rifle would most likely be a flattop 16" AR with an aimpoint on the receiver.

Thanks,
fiz

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:35:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 7:48:19 AM EST by Gunslinger808]
If you have a roll bar in your Cherokee, the 206 will work.
Most of the ones from Gall's have a toggle switch that mounts away from the rack itself, when you flip the switch you have a 10-20 second time frame to get the weapon.
Most also have a key override so if the switch doesn't work, you can still get your weapon.
The AR racks will hold a AR with 30 round magazine, and usually have a trigger guard to prevent the weapon from being fired while in the rack.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:32:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:
If you have a roll bar in your Cherokee, the 206 will work.
Most of the ones from Gall's have a toggle switch that mounts away from the rack itself, when you flip the switch you have a 10-20 second time frame to get the weapon.
Most also have a key override so if the switch doesn't work, you can still get your weapon.
The AR racks will hold a AR with 30 round magazine, and usually have a trigger guard to prevent the weapon from being fired while in the rack.

Thanks for the info. Am I safe in assuming that this style of rack is "pretty secure"? I.e. You can leave the vehicle in the average parking lot for an hour without the average opportunistic thief stealing the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:36:25 PM EST

You can leave the vehicle in the average parking lot for an hour without the average opportunistic thief stealing the rifle?

They are pretty secure, but just like anything else with a lock, they keep honest people honest.
If you really want one for driving around with ready access, they will work, but it would be best to secure it in a trunk lock box while the vehicle is unattended.
If you leave it visible, eventually some SB (probably a kid at that) will come along and try to steal it, at the least he will break a window or door lock to get at it.
At the worse, they will steal the vehicle.
The only reason that more weapons are not stolen from cruisers are just because they are cop cars.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:02:13 AM EST
We've used both Progard racks and Big Sky Racks. We definitely like the Big Skys better. The Progard allows you to carry one rifle without an accessories and you have to set it for 16" or 20" rifles. The Big Sky allows you to safely secure your rifle with an Aimpoint, Tac Light, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:15:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By ajp3jeh:
We've used both Progard racks and Big Sky Racks. We definitely like the Big Skys better. The Progard allows you to carry one rifle without an accessories and you have to set it for 16" or 20" rifles. The Big Sky allows you to safely secure your rifle with an Aimpoint, Tac Light, etc.

Great; thanks for the comparison! Was the Big Sky rack the 220

or the 270?

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:17:01 PM EST
The 270 if you want to run optics on your rifle. I called Big Sky and told them which rifle I had and which accessories it had. They sent me a 270 without the front padded "U".
Top Top