Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/17/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
Yeah, real f'in obvious, right? Well then why do so many "rhythm" guitarists suck at rhythm?

I don't know, but you should be able to tap your feet along to a solo guitarist. He should be able to groove and keep time just like a good drummer.

I'm watching this guy kill it on the stage right now. This is how it's done:

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:59:30 PM EDT
That's why they get laid all the time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:51:27 AM EDT
cool guitar...who makes that
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:54:29 AM EDT
Fanned frets!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:52:45 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ar556223:
View Quote

Sorry, I don't know and we've already rolled up and I'm home.

Not sure if that's the guitar he had tonight, but he said that he was playing a baritone guitar. I did not recognize the logo on the headstock.

He also played a harp guitar that was very cool.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:46:06 PM EDT
Here's a cover of Michael Hedges' "Because It's There."

To be honest, this guy was better live than in the YouTube video I posted. I didn't even listen to that video until later

Sorry about the bit of light coming from backstage. I am a crappy stage manager

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:49:07 PM EDT
far too many guitarists are clueless about meter..

there are a few I offered to loan my metronome to over the years when they expressed frustration with syncopation and upbeats...i was met with
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:46:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thawntex:

To be honest, this guy was better live than in the YouTube video I posted. I didn't even listen to that video until later

http://youtu.be/OI2YqYj2u2M

View Quote

I recognize the skill and craftsmanship apparent there, but why would a man of that obvious talent dedicate himself to covering a song that is basically a 3 and a half minute intro?

It's just perplexing.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:59:45 AM EDT
Meter? You mean tempo?

Because if you've got a guitarist playing in the wrong meter you've got serious, serious problems.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:29:41 AM EDT
Wow! Who'd a thunkit?! A good musician being credited for bein' a good musician?

Fuck...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:03:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 3:07:04 AM EDT by threedogs]
View Quote

The peg head is Olsoneque, but I don't think Jim makes fan frets. With the bevel, the fanned frets and the peg head, I'm thinking Greenfield Guitars from Canada. Truly custom, he only makes a few a year. That's probably a $50,000. guitar.

ETA:
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:25:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bud7h7:
Meter? You mean tempo?

Because if you've got a guitarist playing in the wrong meter you've got serious, serious problems.

View Quote

I use "good meter" as general term for the attributes described in my original post. It is something I usually hear when people are talking about drummers. I just read a definition that states "having good meter means that you are able to place the notes properly between beats on a consistent basis." If tempo is the more appropriate term, I'm happy to use it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:30:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 3:33:50 AM EDT by Fairplay]
Yeah, real f'in obvious, right? Well then why do so many "rhythm" guitarists suck at rhythm?

I don't know, but you should be able to tap your feet along to a solo guitarist. He should be able to groove and keep time just like a good drummer.

I'm watching this guy kill it on the stage right now. This is how it's done:

http://youtu.be/KHFcg1Bg83w

View Quote
Andy isn't a rhythm guitarist. I don't even think he is human. Percussion on a guitar was mostly unheard of until he started posting some YouTube vids many years ago. This is not even close to being his best stuff.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:39:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 3:43:22 AM EDT by Kruger667]
Not being a dick, but I don't like the tapping on an acoustic. At some point, it all starts to sound the same. I don't hear many of them playing diminished or augmented chords, always these open add something shit chords. It gets old.

Kinda like djent.

Not saying the talent isn't there. I just think we have gotten too far away form basic chord progressions. In the chorus part of Pantera's Floods, there are some open chords, but the song gets back to ground real quick.

EDIT

I feel that these guys are rocking out

-0-
-12-
-9-
-7-
-0-
-0-

x10000000 and they don't break out of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:39:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

I recognize the skill and craftsmanship apparent there, but why would a man of that obvious talent dedicate himself to covering a song that is basically a 3 and a half minute intro?

It's just perplexing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

http://youtu.be/OI2YqYj2u2M

It's just perplexing.

It's Michael Hedges . Listen to more of his music and see if it draws you in.

Taproot is one of my favorite albums.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:43:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 3:44:34 AM EDT by thawntex]
Originally Posted By Kruger667:
Not being a dick, but I don't like the tapping on an acoustic. At some point, it all starts to sound the same. I don't hear many of them playing diminished or augmented chords, always these open add something shit chords. It gets old.

Kinda like djent.

Not saying the talent isn't there. I just think we have gotten too far away form basic chord progressions. In the chorus part of Pantera's Floods, there are some open chords, but the song gets back to ground real quick.
View Quote

As Fairplay was saying, his best material hasn't been posted in this thread. In addition to the percussive elements, he really chooses some interesting notes when playing his own stuff. Very tasty.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:48:18 AM EDT

As Fairplay was saying, his best material hasn't been posted in this thread. In addition to the percussive elements, he really chose some interesting notes when playing his own stuff. Very tasty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kruger667:

Kinda like djent.

As Fairplay was saying, his best material hasn't been posted in this thread. In addition to the percussive elements, he really chose some interesting notes when playing his own stuff. Very tasty.

Again, bitching about music is stupid, which I have done. Personally, I feel that these guys are playing a lot of minor / major add something chords (I didn't study music) without more basic chords or not enough tension.

Playing too much major / minor = green day, AC/DC, etc...
Playing too many out there chords or minor add 7 = drinking micro brew's that have wayyyyyyy too many hops and too many flavors going on

I think you need a nice mix of both and some more tension (augmented and diminished), otherwise I get bored real quickly. Again the talent is there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:50:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:55:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 3:55:51 AM EDT by Kruger667]
http://youtu.be/JsD6uEZsIsU
View Quote

Again the talent is there. Anyone who plays guitar will tell you that. His chord changes are very smooth.

For me, it's too happy sounding. I'd like to see a little tension in his playing. Also his wicker home is very nice. It'd be a shame if it were to catch fire from all the p**** he gets. Is he playing from a confessional booth?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:55:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 4:03:38 AM EDT by munsen]
View Quote

It's a Beneteau Baritone

http://www.dreamguitars.com/sold-guitars/2387-beneteau_baritone_fan_fret_180210/

Actually it's a Greenfield G4.2

http://www.dreamguitars.com/sold-guitars/1655-greenfield_g4_fanfret_110/
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:51:33 AM EDT
This is an awesome thread, OP! Thanks!

I love modern fingerstyle players. Michael Chapdelaine and Tony McManus might be my favorites if I had to choose.

That said, nobody plays with a metronome when they practice and free time sets in and that's why so many guitarists don't have good meter. This happens across every genre except classical, I think. And, regardless, guitarists are the red headed step child of the music world as so many "good" players know so little about music or even their own instrument.
Top Top