Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 12:50:00 PM EDT

Do any of you have experience with generators?

I am purchasing a cabin out in the woods and it has no power. I was thinking about getting a gas generator for powering a few things.

A power saw for doing some work on it.
Small water pump for a shower
A light or two and maybe a TV.

None of this stuff will need to run at the same time other than needing a light for when I take a shower.

I already have a wood stove and a small propane heater that I can use to heat it.

I was looking at one of these. Honda EU2000I because its quiet and portable and I can take it with me when I leave. I am not sure if 2000 watts will be enough though.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how much power you need.

If you only need 2000 watts,  I think the honda EU2000I  would be the best option.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Feed me taco bell and I'll genereate a shit-load of gas for your cabin.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Honda is your best bet.

For more info than you can shake a stick at, go post your question in the Survival Forum.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
survival forum is probably your best place to ask this.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Go look at the Pep Boys Chi-com Honda clone generators. Cost is $320.00 and down depending on size. They are said to be as quiet as the Honda's plus at that price, they are somewhat disposable.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Found some great info in the survival forum.

I will check out the clones.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought an EU2000 post Katrina/pre Wilma.  I hooked it up to the house after jumping both phases and turning off the "main" and all the 220v circuits. (I'm an electrician)  We ran about 10 hours or more a day for more than a week. Ran a fullsize side-by-side frig/freezer and it made ice. Ran a hotplate. Ran lights in the house.  Ran ceiling fans. No hot water ... the EU2000 is only 120 volt. Before next hurricane season, I'll finish the outdoor shower and maybe have a spare 120v element for the small garage water heater. The Honda IS quiet. It is NOT silent, but a 30 foot cord and putting the genset behind the garage made it close.  Speedway Sales; $869 delivered.   Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Honda. Quality costs more, but when the Chinese copy craps out when you really need it, it will suck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top