Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 7:25:18 PM EST
In advance, sorry, no pics.

Been down in Hurlburt land attending a class for my next assignment. Today we had an AC-130H tour. The crew was great - I know that it sucks to do dog and pony shows. Aircraft was an H model with a WWII vintage 40mm Bofors and a 105mm Howitzer. That bird's capabilities are pretty remarkable as is the fusion of ancient steam gauges in the cockpit with late model C3I gear in the targeteering area.

As I am sitting here typing from my hotel I can hear the gentle KRUMPF of 105 shells impacting somewhere on Eglin AFB. Thanks USAF and SOCOM, I will sleep a little easier knowing you are out there .
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:26:54 PM EST
The seats for the loaders are just insane.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:28:37 PM EST
My favorite was the loadmaster "couch" for monitoring the rear of the aircraft for SAM/AAA threats.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:30:09 PM EST
Since you are sitting in a motel room I take it you are not out enjoying the survival school.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:34:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By KA3B:
Since you are sitting in a motel room I take it you are not out enjoying the survival school.

I enjoyed it enough the first time - the thrill still lasts, although I went for a 14 mile run into the hinterlands of the base the weekend before last that gave me some flashbacks. Mmmm, fried rattlesnake and prickly pear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:36:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 8:02:49 PM EST by AlaskaJohn]
While at Pope AFB, I was able to tour the first production model C130 as an A-model gunship.
Awesome history lesson.

Link: USAF Armament Museum

Top Top