Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2016 5:10:21 PM EDT
I know nothing about bicycles really.  I am getting back into casual neighborhood cycling and want my kiddos to ride with me and the missus.

Does such a bike exist that she can sort of grow into as she gets older but still ride comfortably now?  She has outgrown her little Disney bike with the training wheels.

I want a bicycle that will last her, but I don't want to dump a bunch of coin into a bike that she will outgrow in the next year or so.

Advice?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably should start in the 50-75CC range
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Hehe.  We had an accident not too long ago, my truck vs. a motorcycle.  After that whole mess, I doubt the kids will ever want to touch a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
At 9 she's probably too small for the bicycle she'll use as she grows into her teens.  Huffy makes some bikes that are good for girls and not too expensive.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If she is big enough for a 20" bike, it should last until teenaged easily.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll need to figure this out in a year or two.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Get her a cruiser, they can be pretty inexpensive at 200-400 for a quality one.

Here is a 3spd from electra as an example, this one is a 20" youth, this one is higher end at $380msrp
http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/kids/sweet-ride-3i-20?g=girls

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]
try bikesdirect, thats where i got both of my bikes. they were excellent, still riding

or maybe CL , lol
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You might want to ask President Obama; I understand he's familiar with girl's bikes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#10]
A CBR 1000RR ,  You don't want to start her on a Hyabusa . You want her to start smaller and work her way up
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I am feeling pretty awesome!

I scored a Specialized Hotrock 20" 6-speed for my daughter just yesterday at my Goodwill. The tires were deflated and the bike was muddy as all getout with a busted gearshift cable housing and no handlebar grips. I gave it about an hour of TLC with soap and water, cloth, and a little oil then drove on down to the local bike shop for a new gearshift cable+housing.  They couldn't find the different-length handlebar grips this bike needed so they hooked me up with some take-offs from a freshly-upgraded Giant.

The best part: the bike cost me $6.75 out the door! My kiddo now has a fully functional, very nice bike for less than $20 invested.  She loves it and it should last for years.  I can't believe someone just gave this away, LOL.

Will post pics mañana.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:03:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I scored a Specialized Hotrock 20" 6-speed for my daughter just yesterday at my Goodwill. The tires were deflated and the bike was muddy as all getout with a busted gearshift cable housing. An hour or so of TLC and $12 of parts and it looks and functions like new.

The best part: the bike cost me $6.75 out the door! My kiddo now has a fully functional, very nice bike for less than $20 invested.  She loves it and it should last for years.  I can't believe someone just gave this away, LOL.
View Quote

You're a dirty thief That's a screaming deal.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:07:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sportster, perfect girls bike.

Unless she's big boned, in which case an Hayabusa is not unreasonable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#14]
When my daughter was 9 I got her a bike with 20" wheels. She's 11 now and outgrew that bike, so back in June got her one with 24" wheels. She ought to be able to get a couple years out of this one before moving to an adult-sized bike.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know nothing about bicycles really.  I am getting back into casual neighborhood cycling and want my kiddos to ride with me and the missus.

Does such a bike exist that she can sort of grow into as she gets older but still ride comfortably now?  She has outgrown her little Disney bike with the training wheels.

I want a bicycle that will last her, but I don't want to dump a bunch of coin into a bike that she will outgrow in the next year or so.

Advice?
View Quote

Whatever  Swignset rides  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#16]
gsxr1000
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I scored a Specialized Hotrock 20" 6-speed for my daughter just yesterday at my Goodwill. The tires were deflated and the bike was muddy as all getout with a busted gearshift cable housing and no handlebar grips. I gave it about an hour of TLC with soap and water, cloth, and a little oil then drove on down to the local bike shop for a new gearshift cable+housing.  They couldn't find the different-length handlebar grips this bike needed so they hooked me up with some take-offs from a freshly-upgraded Giant.

Will post pics mañana.
View Quote

Nice.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Take her to the bike store.....she'll sort it out.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Take her to the bike store.....she'll sort it out.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

Best answer
I bought my kids Specialzed hard rocks. They were kept in the garage and after they out grew them I got over half my money back and bought new ones.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Specialized S-Works Enduro?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#22]
GT Performer Bike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top