Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2010 4:44:55 PM EDT
Anyone have recommendations for a decent cover for a sport-tourer type bike with a windsheild that doesn't cost too much.  Good or bad experiences with any in particular?  I can't keep my bike in a building anymore, so I need something that should keep the elements off of it.  I'm afraid that the real cheap "weather proof" ones would let moisture under it and then trap it.

Got any tips for using them, I've never used one before.  I should let it cool first, right?  Completely, or will mostly do?  If it does get rained on, should I take it off to let it dry under the cover?  Stuff like that.

ETA:  Got the Dowco WeatherAll Plus, size large.  Now, some questions...

I have a question about the storage bag it came with. It's got two handles near the top at the edges of the zippers that seem pretty purpose-built. That got me wondering if there's some certain way that it wants to be stowed or if they're just general use handles or attachment points to bungee/tie to something or what. Would stuffing it in a saddlebag be the best bet?

Also, the no-scratchy padding on the inside for the windshield doesn't seem to account for locking the wheel to the side; it seems like it's meant to be on a bike with the wheel straight ahead.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
When I had to have my bike outside a couple years ago, I bought one of those cheap ones from walmart.  Worked OK until the sun finally rotted the inside lining out and it started disintegrating into a powder, which made a mess on my bike.

Ended up buying a Dowco, they are more expensive but I think they have a lifetime guarantee, or at least a decent one of some type, and they have a much better and softer lining.  MUCH more heavy duty and 100% waterproof.  

If you will have your bike stored outside for more than 6 months, I'd just bite the bullet and spend the money ONCE, and have a lot better product which will last.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
cycleshell.com
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good info.  Looks like the Dowco ones aren't even that expensive and they are lifetime warantied.  Nelson Rigg ones look good too and have a 5-year.  BB has them for a good price and they are giving a $10 gift card with any purchase for progressive customers, so those are looking pretty promising.

Quoted:
cycleshell.com
Wow, that thing's cool.  I don't think it's what I need right now, but depending on what our new digs are like when we move, I'll keep that one in mind.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know the difference between Dowco WetherAll and WeatherAll Plus?  Other than 15 bucks
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Ordered the Dowco Weatherall Plus from Bikebandit.  With AMA code and $10 gift card from my last order (courtesy of having Progressive bike insurance) it was $70 shipped plus I'll get another $10 card.

I'll give an AAR once it arrives in case anyone's interested.  I figured it was better to opt for the "plus" since it'll be in for the long haul.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Dowco is a good cover, you'll like it.

Only problem with a cover is to be careful how you park on very windy days.  I've seen a cover catch enough wind to tip a bike over.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The BBT left my goodies in the door today.  It looks like a pretty nice cover; I'll go swap it out for my ratty one in a bit.

I have a question about the storage bag it came with.  It's got two handles near the top at the edges of the zippers that seem pretty purpose-built.  That got me wondering if there's some certain way that it wants to be stowed or if they're just general use handles or attachment points to bungee/tie to something or what.  Would stuffing it in a saddlebag be the best bet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top