Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2001 6:21:07 AM EDT
My dad recently got a chance to shoot my Bushy, and he liked it quite a bit.  He seemed very interested in getting a good but inexpensive bolt-action 223 for hunting/varmint work.  Being inexperienced in that area, I've looked around at some of the usual suspects (Ruger, Remington, etc.) but am having trouble finding anything below $450.  I've looked at CZ, but their 223 rifles don't seem to have iron sights (which he wants in addition to scope mounts).  Any ideas here?  Think I might have to go with something used?

TIA.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Several models of Savage have iron sights.start at under 300 dealer
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the Japs (sorry, PC practitioners) make a pretty good inexpensive bolt .223 in the Howa.

No personal experience, but something for you to ask around about.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Forgot about the Howa.Ive seen one and it looked good for the money.just a little more for than the Savage.I believe they also made the Weatherby rifle for quite a while.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Being the Remington fan that I am I would go with a 700 ADL.  You can get them for about 350 bucks and they beat the pants off a Howa.  Savage is not bad and seems to be getting better.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My recommendation is for any of the Savage rifles. I owned one and I traded it in on an AR.
I still wish I had kept it. Excellent rifle all around.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies folks.  I'll look into all those.  I guess I shouldn't have been discouraged by the high MSRP's on some of those websites.  I usually swing by Auction Arms to try and get a gauge for real-world prices, but I didn't do that here.

Any other suggestions?  Keep 'em coming.  [:)]

Thx, all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Admiral Crunch:
Thanks for all the replies folks.  I'll look into all those.  I guess I shouldn't have been discouraged by the high MSRP's on some of those websites.  I usually swing by Auction Arms to try and get a gauge for real-world prices, but I didn't do that here.

Any other suggestions?  Keep 'em coming.  [:)]

Thx, all.
View Quote
                                       Howa lightning...same as weatherby vanguard...and old s&w 1500 (a few aftermarket nametags also) is a tried& proven design...decent...sell for 349 at the local high dollar store....i`ve been looking for a 223 bolt gun lately,like the howa, but would get a adl synthetic, or a savage package gun....package gun/synthetic (at same dealer) was 369, included scope and plastic case....about 4 months ago....savage 110 or 111 will come with sights...believe the adl`s do also....wally mart had rugers for 369, and black shadow wins for 319, but didn`t see 223, and since there is basically no service there...didn`t ask......have settled on...adl synthetic/111g savage/110svg pack gun....in that order...howa`s ok but the other 3 are a better choice overall.....want a cz/fs527....TOO MUCH$$$$$............[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The Howa is a good choice for the money
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Be advised that most of the ADL's, Win.'s, etc. will have the old slow 1-12 twist barrels.  I bought a Remington 700 ADL about 4 years ago for a "varmint control" rifle and it shot great.  5/8" groups with 55 gr. ballistic tips.  However, I found out about the barrel twist when I tried some 75 gr. AMAX bullets in it.
The slow twist is fine if you stick to lighter bullet weights, but it's something you need to be aware of if you might consider some heavy bullets later for deer hunting, heavy varmints, etc.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The only bolt factory bolt gun with a faster twist than 1 in 12 was the Win. Heavy varmint with SS barrel that I know of. Don't know if they used the 1 in 9 on their blued varmint or not. Not so sure that many 223's aren't still 1 in 14 in factory bolt guns. Sako was one that made 1 in 12 when they came out with 223 but know most earlier bolts used the same as other 22 centerfires. But I am getting old and senile so maybe if I read more I would keep up to date.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Savage 110.  USUALLY better accuracy than either Winchester or Remington for less money.  The 110 FP also has a 1:9 twist.  Mine has stabilized the Hornady 75gr match bullet out to 600 yds.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ now has a carbine size 223 w/sights. I think they are great guns for the money. I was all set to buy one but I got another AR upper instead [:D] I still would like to have a CZ though.....
does it ever end??? [%|]

http://www.cz-usa.com/pro/prod_d.html

- bricklayer
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Remington 700BDL; you'll want a floorplate.
The extra $ for the Remington is worth it. VLS model is nice.

Howa 1500 Varmint is also viable for the purpose you're "shooting" for.  The Howa has a lot of good features for the $.

Don't you just love this problem?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Savage.  Both good and cheap.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#16]
You should look at a Rem 788
I have 2 and they are the best bang for the buck there is
Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top