Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 10:39:47 AM EDT
I have used Avast for several years and like the product, until the latest update to Avast 2014. Shit is horrible.

I am looking for a good, free ( I mean really free, not a 30 limited trial or some shit, but free like Avast does it with a 1 yr license) and low memory footprint. I can't install MS Essentials, due to some stupid issue where my Win7 install has decided that I need 2 updates that have already been installed, so it won't do anything else. Been that way for months and can't find a solution to it.

Back to the AV, anyone got some good suggestions?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have used Avast for several years and like the product, until the latest update to Avast 2014. Shit is horrible.

I am looking for a good, free ( I mean really free, not a 30 limited trial or some shit, but free like Avast does it with a 1 yr license) and low memory footprint. I can't install MS Essentials, due to some stupid issue where my Win7 install has decided that I need 2 updates that have already been installed, so it won't do anything else. Been that way for months and can't find a solution to it.

Back to the AV, anyone got some good suggestions?

View Quote

avira
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

Out of curiosity what don't you like about the new Avast update?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

Out of curiosity what don't you like about the new Avast update?
View Quote

It just stops working at points. The UI and tasktray icon just disappear and won't restart without a PC restart. There are features like the little green internet checkmarks next to links, that you can't get rid of, and it seems to be continually bloating as far a memory footprint is concerned.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried a Avast uninstall. then use the Avast uninstall tool in safe mode, then reinstall route?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Linux.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer MSE and AVG Free.

Haven't had any issues with them
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Linux.
View Quote

True.  you can get it free.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the Microsoft stuff.  Works fine for me and it's free.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#10]
MS Security Essentials.  Never had any virus problems while using it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I usually suggest MSSE, but I am trying out BitDefender on a work laptop and it seems to be running pretty good.
View Quote
Run from Bitdefender, they tend to have updates that screw things up on your system aka Norton of the 2004 era.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top