Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2014 4:49:46 PM EDT
On the road looking for things to watch and came across some foreign flicks and was surprised, I enjoyed them.  Any suggestions?

The ones I watched and really enjoyed:

-Thale, a Norwegian film about finding a hulder
-Verpfluckt (escape), a Norwegian film set in the 1300s, pretty good and intense
-Les Revenants, The returned, a French series, kind of creepy, mystery, I liked it a lot, a bit slow at times, but intense, can't wait for the next season
-District 13, French movie, lots of fun action and lots of parkeur and lots of guns, I like this one
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The one with the skinny young inky chick pegging the government douchebag.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if it's on netflix but I enjoyed  Good Bye Lenin!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sherlock is very good foreign show.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked Ip Man
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one with the skinny young inky chick pegging the government douchebag.
View Quote

The girl with the dragon tattoo? Good series.
Wallander is great too. The Swedish version.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Special Forces - French film about a special forces unit rescue

Intimate Enemies - French film about the Algerian war

Downfall - German film on the last days of Hitler. I actually did a major research project in college on Traudl Junge, his young secretary.

Generation War - German miniseries on WWII
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Juan De La Meurtos.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't know if they are in Netflix lineup, but I like:

- Eat Drink Man Woman (Taiwan)
- Delicatessen (French)
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought Special Forces was good
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Not really a foreign documentary but I really enjoyed "Jiro Dreams of Sushi".
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
The Man From Nowhere
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Elite Squad & Elite Squad 2

Both are Brazillian films about the Batalliao de Operacioes Especias (BOPE) [Special Operations Battalion] in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#13]

In Bruges (great British film) After a job goes wrong in London, two hit men are ordered to lay low at a bed-and-breakfast in Bruges, Belgium

SURVIVORS (BBC series) When flu decimates the world's population, a scrappy group of survivors struggle to live in a world without electricity, running water or government.

Night Watch (Russian film)This first installment of this trilogy plays on the tension between light and dark, pitting superhuman patrollers against shadowy forces of the night.

HELL (German SHTF movie) After the sun has turned the entire world into a scorched wasteland, a group of survivors heads for the mountains, where they're lured into an ambush.

Heartless (British movie) A reclusive Londoner with a heart-shaped birthmark makes a deal with a devil-like figure to get a girl -- but there's a deadly price to pay.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a headless nun in it for you Archie

A high-functioning sociopath and I've got your number
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:07:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Miss Fisher's Murders is pretty good for light entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Top Gear
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:14:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Grabbers if you like Shaun of the Dead British/Irish humor

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Arn.  3 part series about a swedish monk turned templar who leaves on a crusade and returns an OG badass.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In Bruges (great British film) After a job goes wrong in London, two hit men are ordered to lay low at a bed-and-breakfast in Bruges, Belgium

SURVIVORS (BBC series) When flu decimates the world's population, a scrappy group of survivors struggle to live in a world without electricity, running water or government.

Night Watch (Russian film)This first installment of this trilogy plays on the tension between light and dark, pitting superhuman patrollers against shadowy forces of the night.

HELL (German SHTF movie) After the sun has turned the entire world into a scorched wasteland, a group of survivors heads for the mountains, where they're lured into an ambush.

Heartless (British movie) A reclusive Londoner with a heart-shaped birthmark makes a deal with a devil-like figure to get a girl -- but there's a deadly price to pay.

View Quote

I saw Night Watch.

My takeaway was that it was unwatchable unless you were drunk on absinthe....and by drunk I mean at least a liter and a half into it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:32:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Biutiful

Very dark movie. Good though and worth watching.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:34:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Let The Right One In.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:35:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Troll Hunter is fantastic

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:12:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Lots of foreign movies mentioned in the mega Netflix GD thread....

Top NETFLIX instantly available movies (add to the list)
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:36:43 AM EDT
[#25]
"The Lives of Others"
"Otesanek"
"Kolya"
"Dark Blue World" (it's a bit sweet and syrupy, but has some cool ww2 dogfight scenes)
Microcosmos

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, District 13 was pretty awesome. Very enjoyable action flick, I highly recommend that one to people, too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:00:58 AM EDT
[#27]
The good, the bad, the weird.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#28]
There was a Korean movie where this guy freaks out lives on this island in the shadow of his city. Very funny and thought provoking at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#29]
The foreign stuff is one of the things I enjoy most about Netflix.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#30]
In bruges, twisted ending, thought it was great.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I will check those out thanks.  I also liked Smila's Sense of Snow a Danish film.  I did nof like Survivors.  I tried watching it but like many such shows like the walking dead the stupid decision making gets annoying.  That and there would be tons of brit military weapons to use but nope.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Eat Drink Man Woman

And almost anything Pedro Almodovar directs.  I can't help it - I love that little communist's
movies

All About My Mother
Tie me Up, Tie me Down

and the classic, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I saw Night Watch.

My takeaway was that it was unwatchable unless you were drunk on absinthe....and by drunk I mean at least a liter and a half into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw Night Watch.

Great books though. The translation from Russian makes the actual writing a little quirky, but excellent story. The movies are nothing like the books. Good light reading.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#34]
-No Man's Land
-City Of God
-Irreversible
-Old Boy
-KillZone (Donnie Yen)
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I saw Night Watch.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw Night Watch.

It makes more sense than Day Watch.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Alatriste, Spanish subtitled film on youtube. someone on here recommended it. I enjoyed it. Follows the life of a Spanish swordsman in the 80 year war.

Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter  also on youtube in three parts, here is where it gets weird.
If you want to watch it on youtube find the Russian dubbed version, then select English subtitles, take my word for it, German to English subtitles doesn't work well.
Was originally a German Mini-series about German friends in WWII and how it impacted them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#38]
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It's annoying to see actors who are supposed to be Nazis speaking English with a British accent, but the movie is well done.

ETA-for those who like fucked up movies, Irreversible is on there, and if you like movies that are bad on purpose, there's always Rubber and Zombie Ass-Toilet of the Dead. All are foreign.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's on netflix but I enjoyed  Good Bye Lenin!
View Quote

I was going to post a thread on this yesterday!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#40]
I like a few english comedies.

Allo, allo
Father Ted
The IT Crowd
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The two OSS 117 movies were pretty hilarious.
View Quote
LOL yes they were.  First one was better IMHO 2nd felt like it tried too hard.  but still pretty epic

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Iron Sky
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
-No Man's Land
-City Of God
-Irreversible
-Old Boy
-KillZone (Donnie Yen)
View Quote

Don't watch irreversible. Its disgusting horrible violent disturbing etc. Id rather watch 2 girls 1 cup again and it made me literally throw up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#44]
If it ever gets back on Netflix Castaway on the Moon is OUTSTANDING!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#45]
"My Way", which is about a Korean and Japanese soldier's journey from Imperial conscript and Japanese officer to the Western Front in Europe. One of the best films I have seen. It is in Korean, Japanese, Russian, German and English...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I liked Ip Man
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't know if it's on Netflicks but.... I rather liked Departures.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There was a Korean movie where this guy freaks out lives on this island in the shadow of his city. Very funny and thought provoking at the same time.
View Quote

That's Castaway on the Moon. Isn't on Netflix anymore. Although it looks like its on YouTube now.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Happy happy
Mother of mine
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Rare Exports.  I'm not sure it's still on Netflix Instant, but that's where I saw it over a year ago.  You won't see another movie like it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top